What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (54 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After a weekend of helping a few peeps with their hurricane prep I was able to sit down and relax a little today. Then this all arrived from @reevesci .....

20170913_204105.jpg

I had to hide it away as I wont have a chance to install it for at least another month or maybe 6 weeks. My garage faces east and is above 90f by 8am. Should start to cool off in late October.

After mounting priming/painting/mounting my new White Knuckle Off-Road sliders last week, my best friend and i met up near Woodland Park to run the three "Gulches trails" in that area; Hackett Gulch, Longwater Gulch, and Metberry Gulch. We had a great time wheelin, camping, and breaking in the 80 on her maiden voyage. My wife and I are shocked at just how insanely capable these trucks are in near stock form. Rethinking my entire build now...

Special thanks to @LandCruiserPhil and his awesome front disconnects for helping unleash the factory flex.

21587023_10212523271788183_9217937341348041037_o.jpg

Toy-yotas!
21688043_10212529162455446_4974339806374029589_o.jpg

21544110_10212523272468200_7321550264357564150_o.jpg

21457453_10212523272988213_6606699422493923750_o.jpg

The family. :cheers:
21743611_10212529161695427_2343286737237947818_o.jpg

After mounting priming/painting/mounting my new White Knuckle Off-Road sliders last week, my best friend and i met up near Woodland Park to run the three "Gulches trails" in that area; Hackett Gulch, Longwater Gulch, and Metberry Gulch. We had a great time wheelin, camping, and breaking in the 80 on her maiden voyage. My wife and I are shocked at just how insanely capable these trucks are in near stock form. Rethinking my entire build now...

Special thanks to @LandCruiserPhil and his awesome front disconnects for helping unleash the factory flex.

View attachment 1536608

Toy-yotas!
View attachment 1536611

View attachment 1536612

View attachment 1536617

View attachment 1536614

Wow looking good lucky there Nate, flex included:D

That tilt shift photo is so crazy, everything looks so fake.

View attachment 1536608

Toy-yotas!
View attachment 1536611

View attachment 1536612

View attachment 1536617

View attachment 1536614

Did you also get rid of the resonator? I have the same setup and the resonator makes a big difference in noise levels. FWIW, I don't have a resonator. The noise is louder than stock for sure but doesn't bother me.

I have 4x4labs rear bumper so no resonator. Only drove it for 10' so far but the noise over oem cats/muffler is very noticeable. Not complaining... Happy to shed a couple lbs off my 7000 lbs truck. Hoping the new better flow cats will net me better mpg...like someone here claimed.. The clearance is greatly improved. Dont have to worry about dragging on my cats/muffler and break the mounts anymore. Need to weld on a new cats protection after I cut the old one off.

Last edited:
Drove from Pagosa to Carbondale via highways 160, 550, 92 and 133. Stayed in a sweet cabin at the KOA outside CDale right by where we used to live, went to a wedding and then 2 nights in a condo in Ouray on the way back and finally completed Imogene. Last time I tried it was still snowed in. Even Dez gave it 2 thumbs up after a lot of coaching on exactly how to do it.
Desmond thumbs up.png

imogene summit.jpg

Added oil to my 93 (she's a thirsty little bugger!). Shut the hood and she won't stay latched. Awesome. Been working 16 hr days. Looks like the 92 will be getting to stretch her legs a little bit tomorrow and Friday...

Never had this issue before. Need to look it up. Is it an easy fix?

Added oil to my 93 (she's a thirsty little bugger!). Shut the hood and she won't stay latched. Awesome. Been working 16 hr days. Looks like the 92 will be getting to stretch her legs a little bit tomorrow and Friday...

Make sure the cable is all the way back in. Sometimes when you pull on the hood release latch in the interior the cable won't release all the way back.

It may just need a little lube. I occasionally have this problem and silicon spray works. I do sometimes have to pry open the latch.

TWO 20 IN PIECES OF ANGLE WELDED TO REAR OF GAS CARRIER

Awesome setup! Ordered one myself to follow your lead :beer:

Is the wood tray easily removable? I saw on FR's site that they don't recommend mounting it on the exterior of the vehicle because it's not waterproof and am hoping to just take the wood panel out (looks just like a retaining hex bolt?) when not traveling...

Happened to me about a year ago, a little gun oil and some motivation and it's been like new ever since.

It may just need a little lube. I occasionally have this problem and silicon spray works. I do sometimes have to pry open the latch.

Hit it with a generous amount of WD40. Worked like a charm! Thanks.

View attachment 1536608

Toy-yotas!
View attachment 1536611

View attachment 1536612

View attachment 1536617

View attachment 1536614
Did you use Phil's disconnects on stock suspension? Flex is impressive.

Hit it with a generous amount of WD40. Worked like a charm! Thanks.

Just don't forget to hit it with an actual lubricant. WD-40 is not a lubricant. Its like a bike chain, hit it with wd40, itll stop creaking for a little bit and then rust to hell shortly after.

Did you use Phil's disconnects on stock suspension? Flex is impressive.

Thank you and that's right, only mod to the suspension so far has been front disconnects. Stock coils with stock length bilsteins on 285s, I'd like a set of 1" wheel spacers but not sure how much, if any, complications with wheel to sheetmetal contact they might cause.

Thank you and that's right, only mod to the suspension so far has been front disconnects. Stock coils with stock length bilsteins on 285s, I'd like a set of 1" wheel spacers but not sure how much, if any, complications with wheel to sheetmetal contact they might cause.

Should be fine in the design phase of our disconnects we cycled the 80 series suspension with no springs to check clearances. With that said ALL Land Cruisers and set up are a little different and should be cycled to check clearance, binding, and any wiring or brake line being compromised. This is a safety item check that should not be overlooked.

Should be fine in the design phase of our disconnects we cycled the 80 series suspension with no springs to check clearances. With that said ALL Land Cruisers and set up are a little different and should be cycled to check clearance, binding, and any wiring or brake line being compromised. This is a safety item check that should not be overlooked.

I didn't check for clearances before the weekend of extended testing and upon repinning found the outboard ears of each of the axle-mounts had been slightly bent out, not allowing the pins to go all the way through. A quick squeeze with a set of channelocks and I was back in business. I'll be pulling the springs next week to figure out if any "fix" can be found other than limiting uptravel.

I didn't check for clearances before the weekend of extended testing and upon repinning found the outboard ears of each of the axle-mounts had been slightly bent out, not allowing the pins to go all the way through. A quick squeeze with a set of channelocks and I was back in business. I'll be pulling the springs next week to figure out if any "fix" can be found other than limiting uptravel.

You may be compressing your factory inside coil bump stop enough to making slight contact. If that is the case a 1" inside bumpstop coil spacer will correct that. Most LC owner dont twist there stock mall cruiser like you.:cheers:

Do keep me posted on any our your finding in testing.

Just don't forget to hit it with an actual lubricant. WD-40 is not a lubricant. Its like a bike chain, hit it with wd40, itll stop creaking for a little bit and then rust to hell shortly after.

Yeah, I did it this morning before I left for work. I grabbed the WD-40 because I knew I could wash it off easily if I got it all over me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom