Introduction and first time 2001 LC owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This week I finally got my first Land Cruiser. After looking for several weeks, I discovered a 2001 Land cruiser with 188k miles. It is a southern SUV so the frame was in good condition with no rust. The vehicle drives very well and solid and look forward to many excursions with the family. The interior is in very good condition with some of the best leather seats I have seen on one of this age. It made me wonder if the grey leather holds up better than the tan leather that I saw in most of the ones I looked at. Exterior is in decent condition for its age with main issue being some hail damage and minor scratches. Was able to get it for $7500 which seemed like a decent price.

I have read thru the FAQ and many threads which have been very helpful and I have learned so much. I would be much appreciative to any feedback that anyone could give

First items on my list
One concern I had was the lack of maintenance records I could find. Thanks for the tip on the registering on Toyota website. I was able to verify that the timing belt and water pump was changed at 108k. A transmission service and fuel injector service was done at the same time. There are no other records that I could locate, I also checked auto check report and nothing there also. Based on my lack of knowledge of the history from what I have read on here it seems one of the first things I should do is flush and replace most of the fluids such as brake fluid, coolant, power steering, and I assume a transmission service? I would consider myself to have basic mechanical knowledge but willing to try most repairs if I have time or use proper mecahnic if beyond what I can do.

Should I take it to Toyota dealer to have their Land Cruiser mechanic to give it a good inspection to look for any other issues as a starting point?

Soon upgrades to make:
Radio upgrade. Will replace the original with a touch screen with bluetooth, back up camera. Also some of the speakers sound like they may need to be replaced. Antenna mast is broken so I have ordered that. Only had one key so have ordered 2 to program. Glad this version didn't have NAV so from what I have read seems to be a much easier job. One thing, I didn't see on the radio threads, is could anyone give me a ballpark estimate on how long it should take to replace the radio and install backup camera? My guess is 6-8 hours, just trying to decide if I want to tackle the job or get an car radio place to do it

Much of the fake wood trim on the console doesn't look great so might try to replace it. Are there any non wood options? I'm not crazy about the fake wood look.

Thanks and look forward to the interaction with everyone
Anyway here are a few images

Nice...and someone replaced the seat covers for you.

What is this Toyota website?

Maintence records are nice but not needed, just baseline it and go from there.
I would go to a indie shop before I went to the dealer so work that I couldn't do.

I own a 01 with the same miles... great truck! does your sunroof work?

What is this Toyota website?

Maintence records are nice but not needed, just baseline it and go from there.
I would go to a indie shop before I went to the dealer so work that I couldn't do.
If you go to the toyota website you can register as the owner of your vehicle and you can have access to the maintenance records that they have on file

If you go to the toyota website you can register as the owner of your vehicle and you can have access to the maintenance records that they have on file

I did, and I found out some interesting stuff about my truck.

What is the common issue with sunroof, is there a common theme?

Congrats with the purchase. It drives so awesome.

Congrats on the new truck. Regarding the wood trim, most people warm it up and simply peel it off. If you search, you'll find multiple threads on the subject.

So I have started on getting this vehicle caught up with maintenance. I took it by my local toyota dealer (Ralph Hayes) and had them do an oil change and multi point inspection. They recommended a number of things that would have totaled $2700 had they done it all.

They recommended the following

Brake system flush
Cooling system flush
power steering flush
new battery
replace serpentine belt
clean throttle body
clean injectors
Change spark plugs
service transfer case
change front and rear differential fluid
replace valve cover gasket on passenger side
drive shaft and axle service

I feel like some of the easier stuff life change spark plugs, change fluids in transfer case and differentials i can do. I am also going to change the plastic heater T's as suggested on here and bought those while I was there. I am going to try and tighten the bolts to stop the small leak on valve gasket. Im also replacing the broken mast antennae.

One question, what type of service are they most likely suggesting on drive shaft and axle. The cost of it was $564. Never done something like that before but if it isn't too difficult and willing to try. I am also going to try and grease fittings that I can find.

Only had it for about a week, but have really enjoyed driving it so far Thanks

Congrats on the new Cruiser. On the valve cover bolts... Use a 1/4" drive socket on a nut-driver handle and barely tighten them snug. They require very little torque. More than one person has had a bolt snap when they went to replace valve cover gaskets. So, don't overdo it, just in case you eventually have to replace the gaskets.

Ask them what they are talking about. Drive shafts they may be speaking of lubing the propeller shafts slip yokes and spider joints (AKA U-joints). There are 6 grease zerks in total, use caution on slip joint as pressure can really build in joint as seal may still be very tight.
Lubing propeller shaft Risky (AKA Drive Shaft) Too Much Grease in Drive Shaft?

002.JPG
007.JPG

Axle they may be speaking of one of the following wheel bearing service, boots or CV's of front drive shafts. That sound about right for the $ they quoted.

BTW congrats on the 0, that's a great price for clean!

Ask them what they are talking about. Drive shafts they may be speaking of lubing the propeller shafts slip yokes and spider joints (AKA U-joints). There are 6 grease zerks in total, use caution on slip joint as pressure can really build in joint as seal may still be very tight.
Lubing propeller shaft Risky (AKA Drive Shaft) Too Much Grease in Drive Shaft?

View attachment 1538184 View attachment 1538185

Axle they may be speaking of one of the following wheel bearing service, boots or CV's of front drive shafts. That sound about right for the $ they quoted.

BTW congrats on the 0, that's a great price for clean!
Now that you mention it, he did mention that the right front CV joint had a slight leak. He said that I should watch it. Could that be what they are referring to as drive shaft / axle serve? I know have seen several posts on here about CV joints so I guess I will need to research that more and see what is involved in fixing it and if it is something that I can do myself. BTW I have enjoyed reading about several of LC's that you have restored. On my exterior, the black color really shows a lot of paint chips that I am going to try and fix also

Some thoughts... You're due for the timing belt service in about 10,000 miles. Assuming failure isn't imminent, I may do the the accessory belt and coolant flush together with the timing belt service (especially if you plan to do the water pump). I'd want to know more about how they'll clean your injectors, that isn't normally something a dealership would do unless they're simply dumping a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

The drive train and axle service probably entails greasing all the zerks and servicing/repacking the front wheel bearings.

With a bit of research and basic tools (and some extensions), you should be able to handle the transfer case, diffs, and spark plugs. The rest of the list is totally doable too, but not sure of your appetite for diy.

So far, I have had a decent weekend getting a jump on this. I have changed spark plugs, hood lifts and almost done with the heater tees. One problem, I would love some feedback, when I removed the first tee, the lower small diameter part of tee was missing part of the barb. I assume this could have broke when I pulled it out. I have not been able to locate that piece. I did loose some coolant and maybe it flushed out with it. Is there anything else I should try? How big a problem is this potentially? The rest of the that tee seems pretty solid and it didn't crumble to pieces

So far, I have had a decent weekend getting a jump on this. I have changed spark plugs, hood lifts and almost done with the heater tees. One problem, I would love some feedback, when I removed the first tee, the lower small diameter part of tee was missing part of the barb. I assume this could have broke when I pulled it out. I have not been able to locate that piece. I did loose some coolant and maybe it flushed out with it. Is there anything else I should try? How big a problem is this potentially? The rest of the that tee seems pretty solid and it didn't crumble to pieces

If you have a air compressor, you can try blowing air through the other small vertical tube to see if you can blow out the piece of plastic. Put a towel down to catch the coolant and hopefully the plastic piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom