BJ 74 wheel replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to replace the tires on my BJ 74 but the options available for the stock 15" rims are not what I want. The tire shop says I need to go to a 16 or 17" rim to increase the options available.

The original rims that came with the truck have a 3 1/4" backset. My summer tires have a 3 1/2" backset and I need to use a 1/4 shim on the front tires to allow the rims to clear the calipers. The tire shop is saying that the rims they can get me have a 4" backset so I would need at least 3/4 or 1" spacer to allow the rims to fit and clear the calipers.

Problem is, I don't want to use a spacer. None of the tire shops or tire manufacturers recommend using spacers above 1/2" maximum, and highly recommend that you do not use a spacer at all. So what are my options from here? I cant be the first one to go through this so looking for advice from you guys. I use my truck for fishing, camping and wheeling so I don't want to spend a bunch of cash on fancy wheels that are going to get banged up. Your advice on this would be appreciated.

Phil

How big a tire are you going to run?

Standard Toyota 16" steel wheels are a good choice. They can be ordered from the dealer.

Hello,

x2.

Most aftermarket wheels are a pain.

Juan

I stopped in at our local Toyota dealership and they are a POS to deal with. Absolutely no help at all and rude to boot. Because I imported my truck and I don't use them for service they will not help me in any way. Bottom line they said, if I don't have a part number they will not help me. I asked if they could at lease confirm the backset on their standard 16X8 rim. No way, there is nobody that can measure this for me. Are they returnable if I order them and they don't work? Yes but a 50% return fee will be applied, they are special order from california.

So I come back to you guys. Do any of you have the ability of finding out what part # I should be ordering? I cant believe that ordering a standard rim from Toyota for a Toyota truck could be so difficult. What a PITA

What standard steel rim are you looking for exactly?

42601-60262-03 are 16x7 direct fit to your truck. 7x steelies

42601-60361 would need spacers but would work great. 8x steelies.

I want to get a set of Toyo M55 tires and about 33" tall. They don't make them in a 15" rim size.

an M55 in 255/85R16 (33x10.5) will work great with the 16x7s Beno gave you the number for, if you like a narrower tire.
FWIW a 3.5" BS will fit fine with a 16" rim. More than that... likely won't.

an M55 in 255/85R16 (33x10.5) will work great with the 16x7s Beno gave you the number for, if you like a narrower tire.
FWIW a 3.5" BS will fit fine with a 16" rim. More than that... likely won't.

Yessir. They look sexy indeed.

You can see the side by side here of both the 16x7 (on a BJ40) and the 16x8 on my 70:

IMG_4758.JPG

Looks great on both trucks.
And I want to go to there.

Someone needs to get a container load from Australia or somewhere. Aftermarket heavy duty rims in black or white for landcruisers can be got for $70AUD each. They are almost free in used condition.

I stopped in at Toyota and they found the 16X7 part number in their system but the part # for 16X8 (42601-60361) could not be found.

I presume you were visiting a Canadian dealer?

The 42601-60361 is available through US dealers. There are 7 of them at NAPCC in Ontario CA at the moment. The published list price is around 215 USD a copy.

Here is the 16x8 on a BJ74 with 1.5 inch Spidertrax spacers.
IMGP2924.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom