Brake Booster R&R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
If you booster fails (very hard pedal with very poor braking) 1st clue, stop immediately. You have just enter into a dangerous position. Can you stop?, barely if you have the leg strength. Can you panic stop NO and call BS on anyone that tells you different.

Toyota get $550+ for a new brake booster, no reman available from Mr T:eek:
Most aftermarket on-line and discount auto parts stores sell A1-Cardone including NAPA. Most of the reviews are good but a couple said the booster was a little different so I went with Amazon for the guaranteed delivery and return policy if I needed it. I paid a little more going with Amazon ($220) but for piece of mind with options I paid it. The booster was a perfect match and given the space you are working with you want a perfect match. The reman'd unit comes raw metal why? I primed and painted it Krylon Satin black to match.:rainbow:

I unbolted the brake master and carefully pulled it away from the booster avoiding kinking the brake line to provide enough clearance for the old unit to come out. A couple more bolts, removed the brake pedal linkage, and moving of a couple item to make things easier the booster was ready to come out. Removal was a little challenging (tight) but raising the motor an inch makes a big difference (ya ya save it). Once removed I quickly realized I needed gaskets front and rear of the booster that were not included. This pisses me off because everyone is going to need them.:rolleyes: 110 years ago I bought various gasket paper and punches because I was young (smarter than everyone:bang:) with no money and I could make gaskets cheaper than buying:rolleyes: today again Im glad I did. With new gaskets in place I ever so carefully slide the new freshly painted in place. Amazingly it went 100x easier than removing it. At this point basically reverse the removal steps and you will be good to go.

Now it stops without 750# leg presses.

IMG_5873[1].JPG
IMG_5864[1].JPG
IMG_5870[1].JPG
IMG_5871[1].JPG
IMG_5876[1].JPG

How did you set the rod length?

Checked the amount of play prior. Once out a placed new and the old side by side used a level to insure the rods were the same length. Once installed previously I had a 1/4" of play. Using the installation guidelines I tighten the setting up to the minimum of 1/8" of free play for the tightest recommended set up. Work like it did prior to the failure.

IMG_5865[1].JPG

Could you post a link to the one you got off Amazon?

Cardone 53-2728 Remanufactured Import Power Brake Booster

I just saw there is a $45 rebate on Amazon WoHoo thank you for asking

Did the booster give you any indication that it was getting tired or did it just fail?

My failed booster gave notice for some time before total failure. An increase of force needed to apply brakes. If I used the brakes with a short interval of time between each use I had to use even more force. Also, I could here is hissing! Then total loss. Had to drive very carefully because panic stop was not going to go well. Many times I had to use to feet while I drove the 6 hours home from fishing trip. Happened at about 390,000 miles on odo
I absolutely had to raise the motor to swap the booster. 04/95 wagon. Both side motor mounts and a hoist.
Ymmv

Last edited:
Did the booster give you any indication that it was getting tired or did it just fail?

Zero notice and of course not in a good place. Even standing hard on brakes both feet and butt off the seat I was not able to control my speed. Making the remained of my San Francisco River trip and the 250 miles home very dangerous.

IMG_5752[1].JPG

IMG_5763[1].JPG

Just had mine go on me recently. I find that if I'm driving highway speed, I get enough vacuum to break nicely. When I'm going slow, the pedal pushes back. Was hoping it was vacuum hose or check valve. But ordered booster from rockauto as well as master cylinder... Bummer that I also need gaskets. But great to hear before I dig in!

Mine gave some warning (intermittent hard pedal, then got worse over the next two days, then failure).

Had this happen on a wheeling trip 5 hours from home. Was ok in low range but used a few tree to stop once or twice :) The highway time was way more sketchy...really had to keep distance and work the shifter to slow down.

Reactions: RFB
Interesting how many of you guys have had problem and failures. Having owned at least 100 vehicles and driven millions of miles this was my first booster failure and hopefully my last. My wife was not able stop the cruiser in the driveway and she is in shape.

I totalled out a half ton Chevy when my booster went out. He cut me off in traffic and brakes hard. I stomped the pedal and got nothing. Smashed him at about 35 mph. Right next to a cop. I probably would've hit him anyway but not as hard.

The cop cited him and his insurance covered my "damaged" TJM bumper. Can't remember what I bought with the cash. Maybe hookers and blow...

I didn't mention that my brakes went out. But I got on Mud and did a search and came across a thread. Ordered one from Rock Auto and put it in. Unfortunately I didn't paint it prior to putting it in. :bang: It taunts me under the hood with its rusty film.

BTW, it took about 20-30 minutes to swap it on the 3FE. Plenty of room!

Phil, i see you've come up with another use for the stock jack, way to go!!!

Phil, i see you've come up with another use for the stock jack, way to go!!!

Also great for starter contacts and installing the final snap ring on a PS pump rebuild. Who needs a press when you have a factory jack,LOL

Mine just went out last week. About to order one but then Irma was blowing by lol. This is my second Cruiser and also second booster failures. The first one was at 170K miles and this one is at 223K. Both are '97 though.

Saw an OEM one on eBay for $495 shipped and most re-manufactured ones go for around $225. This weekend's task for sure.

When mine failed it was intermittent and I took the truck off the road until I fixed it. And per usual it happened in a bad spot. I was able to source a reman'd BB from YodaJim's in Denver for $75. So far no issue, but Im sure I'll have to replace it again in the near future.

On RockAuto, the A1 Cardone part has a warning about checking for fuel in your vacuum (odor), and how that can cause pre-mature failure. Have any of you installed a filter in the Vacuum hose? I'm not sure if a typical fuel filter can be used in a vacuum setting? Recommendations on type of gasket material I'll need? Just fiber, I'm guessing?

So - does the fact that a lot of people are running around with a P0401 EGR issue related to the boosters going, or just that the materials used last 20 years!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom