Need some eyes for FJ40 Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haha I think the bezel orientation is the FJ community's biggest pet peave

Good Looking out.

deduct $1000.00 for upside down bezel.
Bezel if upside down for starters. Rear heater is missing. Mirrors could be better but over all from these pictures I think it looks very solid. These things are very small things and can be addressed with minimal effort.

Good advice. I'm not one to buy on based on that kind of trust - just wanted to see what yall could pick up before I engage further.

He's probably asking big bucks... you better get under it and see what's going on

And if your paying big bucks ... condition of the engine needs to be known ... compression check

Do not go by "he said it..."

Your location of 'space station' doesn't help with determining climate and rust. What part of the country? How many gallons of 'spray tar' were applied the to the underside? Need much closer-up photos of the body and paint, as well as the underside.

If that truck is super clean, it should be in the low 20s for price.

The front springs look worn and have extended shackles which will likely make for poor handling. I'd suspect the 'restoration' is more of a spit and polish to make a buck.

I'm fairly certain he's asking to much. I'd be wary... I think much is hiding under the shiny paint. I'd be surprised if it's 50k miles. It would be in excellent original condition if it was.

Haha I hear ya on that :android:
Nothing glairing wrong... just minor pet peave things :)

Good point on the smog equipment. I live in FL though so I should be alright.
Is all the smog equipment there?
May or may not matter based on your location.

Hmm, which plumbing? I'm not sure about the undercarriage. I will ask for a picture.
Some of the plumbing in the engine compartment looks wrong, an easy fix. Whats the underside look like?

Odd the running boards are not painted body color

Haha I hear ya on that :android:

Good point on the smog equipment. I live in FL though so I should be alright.

Hmm, which plumbing? I'm not sure about the undercarriage. I will ask for a picture.

They used generic heater hose rather than the formed oem lines. There is a hatd pipe missing from the oil cooler to thermostat circuit, almost guaranteed the lower rigid pipe is missing also. A quick call to one of the mud vendors and a few minutes wrenching will fix most of it. Undercarriage pics and a magnet will tell you what you need to know. Rust is expensive to fix and easy to hide......

20170913_114348.jpg

FJ40 is from Georgia. Frame was media blasted and painted and then por 15 according to seller. Obviously there is a HUGE variance in the quality of finished product for that procedure. Definitely need more photos of undercarriage
Your location of 'space station' doesn't help with determining climate and rust. What part of the country? How many gallons of 'spray tar' were applied the to the underside? Need much closer-up photos of the body and paint, as well as the underside.

If that truck is super clean, it should be in the low 20s for price.
The body was repainted and you're right, it's weird that they didn't repaint the running boards.
Odd the running boards are not painted body color

I thought the suspension looked a little wanky... That is what I am concerned about.
The front springs look worn and have extended shackles which will likely make for poor handling. I'd suspect the 'restoration' is more of a spit and polish to make a buck.

I'm fairly certain he's asking to much. I'd be wary... I think much is hiding under the shiny paint. I'd be surprised if it's 50k miles. It would be in excellent original condition if it was.

This is my other option - asking ~13k
I have seen it in person and everything was professionally done. Has doors, hardtop, an dash eqp/trim
I will need more out of pocket cash though to finish up paint, assembly, wheels, tires etc.

IMG_3158.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4982.jpg

Haha I think the bezel orientation is the FJ community's biggest pet peave

Good Looking out.

Because, for 40 purists and guys that know, things like the bezel and running boards are an indication that the builder was NOT necessarily a 40 guy, just a guy with auto detailing experience.

If someone is telling me 50k original mileage, he better have service records to prove it. Just an opinion.

So true. Details like the bezel tell you much about the build(er).

I agree completely. Supposedly there are oil change receipts, but we'll see. It looks to me like it's worth looking at, but there is a high potential for coverups and definitely some small parts/repairs necessary.
Because, for 40 purists and guys that know, things like the bezel and running boards are an indication that the builder was NOT necessarily a 40 guy, just a guy with auto detailing experience.

If someone is telling me 50k original mileage, he better have service records to prove it. Just an opinion.

Pretty acute observation. Thanks for pointing that out! Good point on the rust.

They used generic heater hose rather than the formed oem lines. There is a hatd pipe missing from the oil cooler to thermostat circuit, almost guaranteed the lower rigid pipe is missing also. A quick call to one of the mud vendors and a few minutes wrenching will fix most of it. Undercarriage pics and a magnet will tell you what you need to know. Rust is expensive to fix and easy to hide......

View attachment 1536278

Frame was media blasted and painted and then por 15 according to seller. Obviously there is a HUGE variance in the quality of finished product for that procedure.

I'm a relative rookie at 40 restorations, but that frame pic shows a LOT of pitting for a 50K mile frame. If it was media-blasted and treated with POR-15, there was likely some serious rust on that thing at one point. Low miles or not, the condition of that "restored" frame and the fresh paint job hints at a lot of rust hiding somewhere, or a lot of body work done to take care of it. Take a magnet and really examine the known trouble spots for body filler and poor-quality patch jobs.

Or, it could just be the way the light reflects in the photo. Tough to know unless you dig a little deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom