De-Smog Help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great progress here on your desmog. I just finished mine up last weekend and routed all the vacuum lines. Our use the document here to guide me in writing those lines. http://everythingfj60.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/How+to+Desmog+an+FJ60-2.pdf

I found that it was incredibly helpful and it's been running great ever sense. Good luck and let me know if I can help!

I am using that guide as well but it is slow going, it all makes no sense to me! Bit by bit it is becoming clear, I hope I can get it back running this week.

If you go to the desmog thread in my sig line, page 6 has some simplified drawings for the normal systems kept.

Yep I was using your guide because you were running the HAC, but then I realized the lowest I would be going is MOAB at 4000ft. So I think I will leave that off. But yeah I need to re-read it all again, I want to make some progress tonight!

A bit more progress tonight- routed the heat riser hoses and then what I think is correct to the EGR blockoff plate?

IMG_6745.JPG

IMG_6746.JPG

IMG_6747.JPG

A bit more progress tonight- routed the heat riser hoses and then what I think is correct to the EGR blockoff plate?

The only thing that should go in your EGR blockoff plate is PCV. I don't know the MAF part (I just welded a bolt into the EGR side of mine) and I can't tell too well from the last photo, but it looks like you might have the EVAP line from the firewall plugged into yours instead of PCV hose (which is supposed to go into the carb insulator).

Yeah, the other two will be plugged unless you're keeping the HAC or the choke opener. I see you're only keeping one BVSV though so no choke opener...plus just noticed the choke opener diaghragm is removed

@HitTheDirt i see in post #5 on the thread you still have (had?) the AC idle up vacuum switch. If you're keeping that, it connects to the smaller prong on the fitting on the firewall side of the intake manifold (the larger is for the hose running to the brake booster) and you'll need intake vacuum to run to the distributor, so will have to unplug your gas filter fitting, put the gas filter back in with 2/3 plugged and use the other port for getting vacuum to the distributor.

But if you're not keeping AC idle up, as @mwebfj60 pointed out, you can pull intake vacuum from the smaller port on the fitting and keep the front.

I am using that guide as well but it is slow going, it all makes no sense to me! Bit by bit it is becoming clear, I hope I can get it back running this week.
Let me know if you want to talk live or see pics from my desmog. It's pretty fresh for me since I just completed it. I'm happy to help as others have helped me.

OK great, thanks! Getting closer now to figuring this out with all the help on here.

So:

-EVAP line from firewall to single fitting on the carb insulator plate
-PCV line from passenger side block to EGR blockoff
-Brake booster hose to larger of the two fittings on the intake port with heat sink rings on it
-AC Idle Up (keeping that) to smaller of the two fittings on the intake port with heat sink rings on it

Gas filter is cleaned and going back in tonight.

-One port to distributor
-Other port to HAC?

Also where does the other AC idle up line go to?

Let me know if you want to talk live or see pics from my desmog. It's pretty fresh for me since I just completed it. I'm happy to help as others have helped me.

I might take you up on that! Will be working on it every night this week till it's done.

Ok back in the weeds!

A couple questions-

Is the hose off the firewall to the large port to the right of the the green electrical connection correct?

Then I cannot figure out which of the switches on the drivers fender is the AC idle-up, there are 4 that look the same to me. Then do I need the other 3?

IMG_6753.JPG

IMG_6754.JPG

Also, don't run manifold vacuum to the distributor advance diaghragm, that needs to be ported vac off the carb. You DO run manifold vacuum to the VCV (under aircleaner) port S, that vents the distributor.

No I was just going to ask that, thanks! Where does that decel line run to? Looks one of the ports on the carb on your drawing.

*edit- got the decel input to the carb, top left port facing the head, shown in pic below

Also, what is the switch right above the decel in your last pic?

IMG_6755.JPG

Last edited:
Ok Thanks, got some more questions.

-What/where is the primary vac advance?

- which AC idle-up line goes where? (See pic)

-what goes into the gas filter 3 prong? Might just need to re-read my own thread for that one.

IMG_6756.JPG

Ok Thanks, got some more questions.

-What/where is the primary vac advance?

- which AC idle-up line goes where? (See pic)

View attachment 1536063
The AC idle up line from the manifold goes to the outside port on the switch (the one that holds vacuum when there's no power to it). The one from the carb diaghragm goes to the other that doesn't hold vacuum with no power.

Ok does this look correct on the ac idle setup?

View attachment 1536090
Normally you'd pull vacuum for the AC idle up to the smaller fitting on the back side of the intake manifold (adjacent to the brake booster vacuum port) instead of the gas filter/front side of intake manifold, but the setup pictured is essentially identical in terms of functionality.

Ok back in the weeds!

A couple questions-

Is the hose off the firewall to the large port to the right of the the green electrical connection correct?

Then I cannot figure out which of the switches on the drivers fender is the AC idle-up, there are 4 that look the same to me. Then do I need the other 3?

The large hose you mention is the other EVAP hose that runs to the carburetor. It looks correct but I've got a Trollhole carb and can't cross reference my own engine to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom