When do you disable RSCA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't.

In Moab both @TexAZ and I got about as tippy as you can get without actually rolling over, him probably moreso. I can't speak for Patrick but I didn't disable mine. A few other people on here have done some tippy stuff. It takes a fair bit to activate the curtain airbags. The button is definitely there for a reason, I just don't know the actual activation angle, over 60 probably. In a slow rollover (rock crawling) its probably beneficial to keep repair costs down and prevent injury from the bag itself. It's easier/cheaper to repair a few dents than a popped airbag. But it's not like the GM cars of a few years ago that would pop off during a hard corner.

Last edited:
I don't.

In Moab both @TexAZ and I got about as tippy as you can get without actually rolling over, him probably moreso. I can't speak for Patrick but I didn't disable mine. A few other people on here have done some tippy stuff. It takes a fair bit to activate the curtain airbags. The button is definitely there for a reason, I just don't know the actual activation angle, over 60 probably. In a slow rollover (rock crawling) its probably beneficial to keep repair costs down and prevent injury from the bag itself. It's easier/cheaper to repair a few dents than a popped airbag. But it's not like the GM cars of a few years ago that would pop off during a hard corner.

Thank you First hand experience was exactly what I needed to hear.

I shut it off when I hit the trail. Unless I'm rolling it down a steep incline I figure im more likely to accidentally set it off than actually need it, and if it goes off either accidentally or in a low speed rollover like Tony says it will likely be an expensive repair and not really prevent much trauma

I shut it off when I hit the trail. Unless I'm rolling it down a steep incline I figure im more likely to accidentally set it off than actually need it, and if it goes off either accidentally or in a low speed rollover like Tony says it will likely be an expensive repair and not really prevent much trauma
In Dubai when we go on sand dunes in the desert we always turn off airbags because if you don't you are likely to see them pop with all these steep terrain maneuvers and hopping from one dune to another.

Mine was still on when I slammed hard on my right side on Hell's Gate. Anyone there saw that I was pretty ripped...and hit hard enough on the downward size to make quite a bang. No bags deployed...so it can't be all that hyper-sensitive...

I've never turned mine off, and the only scenario I can possibly think of where turning them off could potentially be useful is the high speed desert dune climbing and bombing around where you might be pulling enough G's to make the truck think something bad is happening. As many of us can attest, it's not sensitive at all, and quite honestly I would WANT the airbags to deploy if I really did roll on the trail. Screw the added costs of fixing the airbags if I rolled over, an insurance claim for $8k is the same thing on your record as $18k. I personally think it's silly to shut them off when you could be defeating one of the very reasons why we drive such a safe vehicle to begin with.

I turn them off on the trails unless I know I will roll multiple times. (Morison Trail, WY)

One of our 406cruisers.com just tipped his FJ over at slow speed (he is an experienced driver) his side air bags went off. I will ask him this question. His story in on 406cruisers ih8mud page with pictures. It happened about 2-3 week ago.

My side bags went off, in error, in my 4Runner in '06 and I still hurt. I don't remember to turn them off but I wish I did because it is expensive, over $3,000 on my 4Runner back then, and it is a real physical pain. If you have no damage there is no insurance so neither the truck or you are covered unless you get someone to commit fraud and drive into the side of your truck. Going to massage therapy again today.
And, FYI, if they do go off just cut them free so you can see because they are garbage after firing.

I usually turn it off when I am in 4L regardless of the trail.

I do turn it off every time I remember. I remember turning it off once.

I do turn it off every time I remember. I remember turning it off once.
Same here. I do it 60% of the time, every time!

Same here. I do it 60% of the time, every time!

I use new math like kids do in school these days...

40% of the time, I do it 50% of sometimes. The other 60% I do it 20% of maybe.

Teacher gives me 100% every time.

I would get in the habit of turning it off once you hit the trail.
Roll over angle matters in the system but so does vehicle speed. If you hit a rut sideways off road at a decent clip it could fool the center airbag module into thinking it is over a 45 plus degree angle and on a trajectory for rolling and will set off the side curtain airbags, hence the purpose of the switch.
Toyota will not warranty this and insurance is often involved in the repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom