Paint Shop recommendation, please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post ever. My apologies if this is not posted in the correct place. I have a '91 FJ80 with zero rust and just a little bit of original paint. I live in the Brandon/Flowood, MS area. Could someone recommend a paint shop that can do a decent job at a fair price? Took the Cruiser to a well known body shop in the area and was quoted $5,000+ to paint the upper 2/3rds of the vehicle. Not willing to pay that much. It's two tone - paint code 26P (181+183). Thanks in advance for any suggestions you could pass along.

First off, welcome! I'm not sure if we have another local 3FE 80 owner on here right now (unless I'm forgetting someone)

I'm assuming the paint scheme below is the one you have? Is only the silver section in need of paint? This is sort of a broad question, but what "quality" of paint are expecting?

You can have color put on it for a lot less than $5k, but the lower you go, the lower the quality. I haven't had anything repainted in quite some time, but others have.

@fountainhead? @geologic?

toyota_landcruiser_91_26P_01.jpg

First off, welcome! I'm not sure if we have another local 3FE 80 owner on here right now (unless I'm forgetting someone)

I'm assuming the paint scheme below is the one you have? Is only the silver section in need of paint? This is sort of a broad question, but what "quality" of paint are expecting?

You can have color put on it for a lot less than $5k, but the lower you go, the lower the quality. I haven't had anything repainted in quite some time, but others have.

@fountainhead? @geologic?

toyota_landcruiser_91_26P_01.jpg
Yes, that's what's she's supposed to look like!! One mine, the lower (darker) color is acceptable to me (a few scratches but not too bad for a 26 year old vehicle) but the top silver paint has nearly disappeared in places. I'm looking for about a 10 footer paint job.

Keep this in mind:

For half that amount, you can buy a high volume professional air compressor (Quincy @ $1200) a Sata paint gun ($500), and PPG paint ($800).

(Yes, good paint is really that expensive; don't forget the SPI clearcoat too)

Keep this in mind:

For half that amount, you can buy a high volume professional air compressor (Quincy @ $1200) a Sata paint gun ($500), and PPG paint ($800).

(Yes, good paint is really that expensive; don't forget the SPI clearcoat too)

but.....if the paint doesn't go on smooth, and chances are it won't the first time, you're fu ck ed. then you buy paint and sand and prep again and hope it comes out better....and you're at the cost of a paint job....

I don't care how expensive your compressor or paint gun is, they won't make your hand steady, or your motion fluid, or your paint look better....period....

I can cut better than 95% of people with a $5 knife, but I have practice....years of it....you can have my shibata which was $700 and ill out chop your ass with a pairing knife and my eyes closed.....literally.... :steviewonder:

but.....if the paint doesn't go on smooth, and chances are it won't the first time, you're fu ck ed. then you buy paint and sand and prep again and hope it comes out better....and you're at the cost of a paint job....

I don't care how expensive your compressor or paint gun is, they won't make your hand steady, or your motion fluid, or your paint look better....period....

I can cut better than 95% of people with a $5 knife, but I have practice....years of it....you can have my shibata which was $700 and ill out chop your ass with a pairing knife and my eyes closed.....literally.... :steviewonder:

All it takes is practice and good paint.

And at the cost savings it gets you, you can eff up the project 10 times over and still come out cheaper than paying someone to do it for you.

And at the end of the day, you've got yourself some new skills under your belt, and a nice new air compressor sitting in your shop.

It's the OP's money, and he (or she) can spend that money however they like, but if a naysayer spoke up every time someone took a chance at learning something new and knowing they did it themselves, this website would probably not exist.

The OP wants a 10ft paint job; that is an easily attainable goal.

Along with what MScruiser is saying, preparation of the existing surface is key to the new paint laying on and looking good. If a person doesn't want to take the challenge of learning the new skill there are quite a number of guy's that work at body shops during the day and paint on the side at night and weekends. They will typically give you a really good rate on a nice paint job.

The problem I would run into trying to do it myself is a location to setup a make shift paint booth to spray in. Otherwise there would be quite a bit of over spray on items not intended for the paint and a good bit of trash in my new paint job.

Make shift booth cost me $90 in supplies. Zero particles in my paint.

Body work is where I should have spent more time for sure. When the paint goes on, it highlights the mistakes. It is an art. But if your truck is free of dents, and if you really do want a 10' job, it's not necessary.

OP, get a quote on your 10' paint job. I strongly suggest considering DIY if the prices are similar. If you have questions, I can turn you in the right direction.

Jrob, myself, and several others in the area/club have had good luck with a DIY booth and painting. It's not magic; get your gun dialed in, make sure your air is nice and dry, and practice before you get to spraying your truck. I used some pieces of steel roof I had laying around. Plenty of literature and videos on YouTube on techniques too.

PS: if you decide to paint yourself, this is the perfect time of the year; temps aren't too hot in the afternoon, the cold mornings keep the flying insects down, and the recent rains keep dust and other foreign particles at bay. Honestly, you could probably get away with painting in the open air in a few weeks.

Iirc, @wngrog told me he had an fj43 that was painted in the open air and it looked great.

Just showing that it can be done if the conditions are right.

(Macco will be hard to beat)

Macco for the win!

Make shift booth cost me $90 in supplies. Zero particles in my paint.

Body work is where I should have spent more time for sure. When the paint goes on, it highlights the mistakes. It is an art. But if your truck is free of dents, and if you really do want a 10' job, it's not necessary.

OP, get a quote on your 10' paint job. I strongly suggest considering DIY if the prices are similar. If you have questions, I can turn you in the right direction.

Jrob, myself, and several others in the area/club have had good luck with a DIY booth and painting. It's not magic; get your gun dialed in, make sure your air is nice and dry, and practice before you get to spraying your truck. I used some pieces of steel roof I had laying around. Plenty of literature and videos on YouTube on techniques too.

PS: if you decide to paint yourself, this is the perfect time of the year; temps aren't too hot in the afternoon, the cold mornings keep the flying insects down, and the recent rains keep dust and other foreign particles at bay. Honestly, you could probably get away with painting in the open air in a few weeks.

Iirc, @wngrog told me he had an fj43 that was painted in the open air and it looked great.

I totally get it....I do....I like to do most things DIY personally...

are you saying above that YOU were looking for a 10' paint job, or just talking to OP? I haven't seen it in person, and was just wondering. I thought you were going got all-out $.....

I need to bring you this pressure washer and have a look....you home with time soon?

I manage a body shop in North MS. We have 2 all over paint jobs in the shop now, a 63 chevy truck that is a frame off restoration for $15,000 and a 2014 camry that got keyed, $6500.

Paint is the most expensive part of what a body shop does, not to mention that it takes YEARS of practice and training. I highly suggest you NOT spend your money on all of that equipment and try it yourself, because if you mess it up it will cost double for someone to go back and fix it. The odds of you laying down a good paint job on your first try are 0% on top of the fact that microscopic dust particles in the air that will make it look like crap if you don't have a booth.

I suggest looking into getting it wrapped if $5000 is too much for a paint job

I would also suggest looking at macco and abra paint job reviews online, but beware. Its scary.

I manage a body shop in North MS. We have 2 all over paint jobs in the shop now, a 63 chevy truck that is a frame off restoration for $15,000 and a 2014 camry that got keyed, $6500.

Paint is the most expensive part of what a body shop does, not to mention that it takes YEARS of practice and training. I highly suggest you NOT spend your money on all of that equipment and try it yourself, because if you mess it up it will cost double for someone to go back and fix it. The odds of you laying down a good paint job on your first try are 0% on top of the fact that microscopic dust particles in the air that will make it look like crap if you don't have a booth.

I suggest looking into getting it wrapped if $5000 is too much for a paint job

I would also suggest looking at macco and abra paint job reviews online, but beware. Its scary.
this^^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom