Is anyone running front and rear automatic diffs? (Lokka, Lunchbox, etc.) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking into budget options for locking diffs in my vehicle. I will be doing the part time transfer case modification. I've searched and see a lot of e-locker / air locker types. For what I'm going to be doing I think the automatic diffs will work fine. I see that some are using automatic diffs in the rear and e-locker/ air in front. Just want to get some feedback from the community. If some is using automatic in the front and rear, I definitely want to hear from you. Thanks.

Last edited:
Unless you go to a part time transfer case there is really no way to run an auto locker in the front end, horrible idea.

People who are running a switch controlled diff in the front with an automatic on the rear do it because they don't want to have a part-time transfer case. I'm going full auto front and rear with part-time transfer case because it works with the budget.

No, but like all car projects it ends up starting small and at the end it's full blown. I'm not planning on it. A little off road trails is the current plan.

Reason I was asking, I dont think you will enjoy/need lockers around our area unless you are going to the parks (like Gulches) and rock crawl. Have you reached out to Trollhole Cruisers, see if Marshall has anything or some advise? He is close to you and has tons of experience on all cruisers.

In our slick mud and hills, not having locker control can do more damage than good as you will want the differentials to do the "differential" work going up hills or traversing slopes on trails, so you avoid going sideways.

Hey man you told me you didn't wanna go crawling now you want lockers and to tear the Tcase open. Make up your mind :flipoff2:

I made a trip to Gulches and went on some trails there and having open diffs definitely limited me to a lot of things. I don't want to crawl, but something is better than nothing. I wish I could be like @jcardona1 ,but something is wrong with my wallet. LOL!

Part time isn't all that budget friendly? If you take that money and add it to your front locker you will be near or at selectable locker already. Plus unless you want it to be a rock crawling rig I don't see the point of front locker, You will be surprised how well it does with just rear locker but it will never be a fully built keep.

The question is what are you trying to achieve with front locker? I have climbed stuff I can hadly walk up with just the rear locker. Have you tried it with just the rear locker? If you are on a budget then how about just do Aussie in the back for less than 300 and be done with it.

Reason I was asking, I dont think you will enjoy/need lockers around our area unless you are going to the parks (like Gulches) and rock crawl. Have you reached out to Trollhole Cruisers, see if Marshall has anything or some advise? He is close to you and has tons of experience on all cruisers.

In our slick mud and hills, not having locker control can do more damage than good as you will want the differentials to do the "differential" work going up hills or traversing slopes on trails, so you avoid going sideways.

I went to Gulches to check out some trails and figured out that I was limited to some i wanted to try because of having open diffs.

Part time isn't all that budget friendly? If you take that money and add it to your front locker you will be near or at selectable locker already. Plus unless you want it to be a rock crawling rig I don't see the point of front locker, You will be surprised how well it does with just rear locker but it will never be a fully built keep.

The question is what are you trying to achieve with front locker? I have climbed stuff I can hadly walk up with just the rear locker. Have you tried it with just the rear locker? If you are on a budget then how about just do Aussie in the back for less than 300 and be done with it.

My plan is to just start with the rear Lokka and go from there. After that, see if I really need to do anything with the front.

My plan is to just start with the rear Lokka and go from there. After that, see if I really need to do anything with the front.

Highly doubt it unles you really like body damage. Do you have front and rear bumper? Slider? Belly pan? If you need front locker then you need all of the above.

Btw I would recommend Aussie over lokka because I'm OG like that. :hillbilly:

Lokka.com This is the option I was looking to do.

upload_2017-9-12_14-7-8.png

I would NOT install an autolocker or LS in the FRONT differential. Rear, yes for inexpensive option.

I ran a LS in F/R on a 69 Chevy pickup way back when. (Selectable lockers hadn't been invented yet....)

When on slick surfaces (mud, snow, ice) it was almost impossible to turn when in 4WD because ALL 4 tires turned the SAME speed. The very first time I was in mud, I tried to turn between some trees and almost tagged the tree because I was expecting it to turn and it didn't. I had to burp the throttle to rock the truck and front axle to get it to go another direction.

I was doing a long sloping RH corner on a 100% ice/sleet covered 4 lane road. As I came around the corner at 35 MPH, the truck would not change direction and continued in a RH slow turn, no matter what direction the front wheels were pointed. I had to lock my brakes, jam it in reverse (manual) and floor it in reverse to get it to slow and change direction a LITTLE. I stopped 8" from pegging a light post dead center on the front.

It could go almost anywhere and could pull out loaded semi trucks, but I had to be careful in the slick stuff.

If money was no object, I would do selectable in F/R.
To save SOME $$$, I would do a Lokka Or Aussie in the rear, and an ARB or Harrop in the front.
I would also consider doing the cable lock Harrop to avoid any electrical issues and no additional compressed air required (OBA)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom