2016+ LC and soft front brake pads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick FYI for anyone with 16+ LC. As you have noticed the upgraded brakes are really good and dusty at the same time. I have 13k on my 16LC and rotors needed to be resurfaced as steering wheel was shaking left and right at high speed braking. To my surprise, the dealer has just called me if I want to replace brake pads as well (not covered under warranty) as they are down to 50%. Uneven rotors may have contributed, but looks like brake pads are extremely soft (like on BMWs) and have a short life spam of probably no more than 30K if you go easier on brakes than me. Thankfully no additional labor cost since they are working on rotors already, so just need to pay $80 for brake pads.

Last edited:
My initial pads were between 30% and 50% at 20k miles. The rotors have not been turned but could probably use it. I switched to the TRD pads and like the feel, though I get a bit of noise sometimes.

Quick FYI for anyone with 16+ LC. As you have noticed the upgraded brakes are really good and dusty at the same time. I have 13k on my 16LC and rotors needed to be resurfaced as steering wheel was shaking left and right at high speed braking. To my surprise, the dealer has just called me if I want to replace brake pads as well (not covered under warranty) as they are down to 50%. Uneven rotors may have contributed, but looks like brake pads are extremely soft (like on BMWs) and have a short life spam of probably no more than 30K if you go easier on brakes than me. Thankfully no additional labor cost since they are working on rotors already, so just need to pay $80 for brake pads.

My initial pads were between 30% and 50% at 20k miles. The rotors have not been turned but could probably use it. I switched to the TRD pads and like the feel, though I get a bit of noise sometimes.

So the pads are soft, dusty and short-lived while the rotors needed to be turned almost at break-in?

Go to the bottom of this post for a "Test Team Research Offer" for 2016+ 200 Series owners.....also a fun video with Alan Gray

As a soon to be new owner of a 2018 200 Series (built on 8/31/17) I am underwhelmed by most reports on OEM pads and rotors. 50% brake life at 13k miles (Luke) or 30-50% at 2ok miles (Cole) strikes me as a PMP (Profit Maximization Program, in corporate speak) for TMC and its installing dealers - maybe not a rip-off, but pretty dodgy service life for a $85,000 vehicle component.

As a vendor, take my comments with a grain of salt..... but those owner experiences are not commensurate with ownership of the corporate flagship.

I have posted my own plan for brakes elsewhere - will break in and do stop test for stock components and then replace with Terrain Tamer HP (slotted/drilled/beveled) rotors and HD pads. We are looking for quantitative and qualitative data and observations. How they stop, how they feel, etc. along with long term service results - dusting, miles, etc.

We (Cruiser Brothers) will send a set of Terrain Tamer front pads on the house to Luke and Cole if they want them. Love to hear the before/after results.

"TEST TEAM RESEARCH OFFER"
FRONT BRAKE PADS - 2016+ 200 Series

We have heard from many Land Cruiser owners that Terrain Tamer HP rotors and pads have resolved braking issues. In many cases, they only replaced front pads, not rear pads or rotors.

We know you may be dealing with warranty / dealer service issues, but a Terrain Tamer intervention might help. Cruiser Brothers will send you a set of pads at Wholesale price of $47.20 per set (20% off Retail price of $59) plus shipping and tax if you are in WA, CA or TX.

If you are less than happy with your front brakes and would like to try Terrain Tamer composite pads, shoot me an email to info@cruiserbrothers.com and I will make it happen. All we ask is that you share the results - good / bad / etc......

:cheers:

Thanks,
Ward
1-206-678-2213

Bummer that you needed the rotors turned at only 13K. Did you see the brake pads for yourself? You wouldn't be the first person to have a dealer say a vehicle needed brake pads when there was actually lots of pad remaining. Maybe go ahead and replace, but ask to see the old ones?

Bummer that you needed the rotors turned at only 13K. Did you see the brake pads for yourself? You wouldn't be the first person to have a dealer say a vehicle needed brake pads when there was actually lots of pad remaining. Maybe go ahead and replace, but ask to see the old ones?

Service advisor is solid and fully trusted him as we worked together on some glitches and always took care of me.

So the pads are soft, dusty and short-lived while the rotors needed to be turned almost at break-in?

Go to the bottom of this post for a "Test Team Research Offer" for 2016+ 200 Series owners.....also a fun video with Alan Gray

As a soon to be new owner of a 2018 200 Series (built on 8/31/17) I am underwhelmed by most reports on OEM pads and rotors. 50% brake life at 13k miles (Luke) or 30-50% at 2ok miles (Cole) strikes me as a PMP (Profit Maximization Program, in corporate speak) for TMC and its installing dealers - maybe not a rip-off, but pretty dodgy service life for a $85,000 vehicle component.

As a vendor, take my comments with a grain of salt..... but those owner experiences are not commensurate with ownership of the corporate flagship.

I have posted my own plan for brakes elsewhere - will break in and do stop test for stock components and then replace with Terrain Tamer HP (slotted/drilled/beveled) rotors and HD pads. We are looking for quantitative and qualitative data and observations. How they stop, how they feel, etc. along with long term service results - dusting, miles, etc.

We (Cruiser Brothers) will send a set of Terrain Tamer front pads on the house to Luke and Cole if they want them. Love to hear the before/after results.

"TEST TEAM RESEARCH OFFER"
FRONT BRAKE PADS - 2016+ 200 Series

We have heard from many Land Cruiser owners that Terrain Tamer HP rotors and pads have resolved braking issues. In many cases, they only replaced front pads, not rear pads or rotors.

We know you may be dealing with warranty / dealer service issues, but a Terrain Tamer intervention might help. Cruiser Brothers will send you a set of pads at Wholesale price of $47.20 per set (20% off Retail price of $59) plus shipping and tax if you are in WA, CA or TX.

If you are less than happy with your front brakes and would like to try Terrain Tamer composite pads, shoot me an email to info@cruiserbrothers.com and I will make it happen. All we ask is that you share the results - good / bad / etc......

:cheers:

Thanks,
Ward
1-206-678-2213
Thanks Ward!!!! Will report back my experience with the Tamer pads.

My wife just sent me a picture what came in today. Cool extras as well. Thanks Ward!!! Looks like I know what I am doing when I am back from my vacation ;)
IMG_2892.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom