Dobinsons Rear Bumper for 100 Series? Any Good? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have firsthand experience with the Dobinsons Rear Bumper for the 100 series? I've found a couple threads that mention it, but no one besides Dobinsons reps/distributors have chimed in with their own experience.

The price looks awesome ($1,735 shipped w/tire carrier swing out and jerry can swing out), but I'm wondering what the drawbacks are...

Is it heavier than others? (I'm looking at the Dissent option and the BIOR modular at the moment)
Is the build quality poor?
Does it have bad clearance compared to others?

Trying to figure out what the catch is and hoping someone can chime in and educated me (and others)!!

Thanks!

Link to Dobinons on eBay for reference: Dobinsons Rear Bumper for Toyota Landcruiser 100 series 1998-2007 | eBay
Link to BIOR for reference: Custom Bumper For Toyota Land Cruiser
Link to Dissent for reference: Dissent offroad modular rear bumper.

Do they have their own web site? I too am in search of a rear bumper but I do NOT want the tire carrier or anything else, just a nice looking steel bumper.
On the ebay store they only have one picture of the bumper.

Buy the BIOR or Dissent. They support the 100 community, and if you have questions you can just call and talk to them. Both great guys, and outstanding products.

Buy the BIOR or Dissent. They support the 100 community, and if you have questions you can just call and talk to them. Both great guys, and outstanding products.
^^ This. Support those who support us. No one is trying to guilt trip you into only buying from one of those companies, but without us those guys would not be where they are today nor would they continue to stay there.

I too was checking out the Dobinson. My only real need is a place to put my spare and I'm having a hard time justifying the money of a rear bumper just to have a place to put my spare.

I too was checking out the Dobinson. My only real need is a place to put my spare and I'm having a hard time justifying the money of a rear bumper just to have a place to put my spare.
Well hopefully there is someone on this forum who has actually bought their product and can enlighten us all!

The Slee rear is a good bumper as well. But also pricey.
Yup - I also looked at the Slee and the ARB, but thought the Dissent and BIOR were better values. The big question is that Dobinsons... does it belong on the list? Surely SOMEONE must have bought one of these... right? Haha!

If you check out their thread he talks about people that have bought them. Not sure if they are on mud or not.

To me they look like an ARB rear but not quite as good in the quality department and no auto opening swing outs like the ARB has. Decent price for a basic bolt on bumper.

4x4 labs is most likely the way i'll go when I do mine.

Thanks guys - but I think all of them that I mentioned are supporting vendors, including Dobinsons?

Dobinsons Rear Bumpers w/jerry can and tire carriers - 60/70/80/100/200 Series
I think what we were trying to say was that BIOR, Dissent and a few others are home owned businesses where these guys build the parts by hand, from their own designs. They donate bumpers and racks and stuff to the HIH event raffles every year. Many of us refer to them by their first names instead of their company names. So, its just more personal, rather than another company just selling bumpers. With all of the overseas parts that are offered these days, its refreshing to still have a small community like this one with the 100 series, and to have craftsmen building bumpers and other stuff here in the US for us. That's why we chime-in and say "look at these guys first".

That Dobinson looks like its imported from Thailand, at least that's what I thought I read on that thread. If you like though go for it:) It is nice that there are so many options though, so we don't all look the same.:slap: I agree though, it looks like one of those big ARB bumpers.

That looks very similar to my rear bumper. I bought it online from a guy in FL (soflo bumpers) Paid $1000 for it. Made in China, poor quality, but does the job. Today I wouldn't buy it.

I like the looks of the Dobinson rear. I think it's probably what the SoFlo copies.

One thing to keep in mind regarding the local producers of 100 bumpers: because of low volume sales, low margins, etc. it's not really feasible for them to offer any kind of rating on their products, whether it be for airbag compliance, crash results, hitch strength etc. This is not a knock on any of them since that kind of testing is prohibitively expensive. When you go with the big names and/or anything Australian, you're getting a quantifiable value because they have to comply with Australian design rules to be legal. That may not mean much to some MUD members, but an ADR compliance, airbag compliance or basically any indication that a product is built to a standard that maintains factory operation of safety systems could make a big difference when it comes to insurance paying out or for customers who schlep kids and just want peace of mind.

Just get it! Be a trendsetter! I liked the Dissent style and the pricing of Bior, but my personal lack of patience made me buy a Slee. It was delivered 2 days after purchase to my office here in Cali. The quality is second to none! I'm really happy with it. Keep in mind you want these swing outs and latches to feel solid and not feel "Jankey". I understand that cost is a factor when buying things, but As I get older I am really appreciating craftsmanship and customer service over cost. In a year or 2 you when someone ask how much you spent on your rear bumper, you will say, "2-3k??? , I don't remember, so many mods ago......." lol. I would think for the cost of the Dobinson, maybe they are using cheaper china metal? Their website seems to believe they are a decent sized company in Australia though. Ebay says they come from the Miami distribution center, perhaps due to the hurricane, this may take a while to get ?? Perhaps you in no rush either though. Keep me posted!

I'm in a 100/105 group on FB and 99% of the users are in AU. You could join and look around there, a lot of the guys use Dobinsons bull bars and suspension.
SVFfyZx.png

IMO, the Dobinson looks too bulky and lame compared to all the hand crafted ones.

I'm in a 100/105 group on FB and 99% of the users are in AU. You could join and look around there, a lot of the guys use Dobinsons bull bars and suspension.
SVFfyZx.png
Thanks - Just put in a request to join.

I personally have not seen the dobinsons bumper but from the pics it almost looks as if you would loose crearance.
Let me know if I can answer any questions about the dissent bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom