Bike racks (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil: just the setup I was envisioning. However, wanting 2 bike set up attached to spare tire mount on a swing away arm.

Good job!

FWIW my set it is for two bikes. Have you check with 4x4 labs? I have seen a couple bike mounts on swing out by him.

IMG_3972.JPG

Last edited:
LandCruiserPhil: Little nervous about the vetical mount as it seems to stick way out there. Looks to compromise departure angle as well.

'course, don't know why I have any of those concerns since my wheeling is typically geared (no pun there) to fireroads and the easiest way to any point.

However, I will gladly take that flip top camping gizmo off your hands (as in I'm jealous):beer:

I was looking at the flip-top gizmo as well. Since I now have a welder I was thinking of trying to make my own version of the NorthShore rack. Seeing as my buddy has one I can do some reverse engineering. Nothing more than a fun little project.

LandCruiserPhil: Little nervous about the vetical mount as it seems to stick way out there. Looks to compromise departure angle as well.

'course, don't know why I have any of those concerns since my wheeling is typically geared (no pun there) to fireroads and the easiest way to any point.

However, I will gladly take that flip top camping gizmo off your hands (as in I'm jealous):beer:

No issues on Black Bear Pass so you would be fine on forest road

Another vote for the Kuat here. I got the NV 2.0 Base, plus a 2 bike extender (rarely used, so will add/remove as needed). This thing is major beef compared the suspender style racks I've used before. Zero shakes or rattles. I can't tell it's back there.

I was pleased to find out that, empty or loaded, there's zero loss hatch and tailgate function.

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

Last edited:
i've been considering something similar to the www.northshoreracks.com NSR-4 or the ReconRack. The NSR folds in half and is way less bulky compared to any of the other tray based racks.

I'd also considered something that would swing to the side without needing a rear bumper with swing arm, but only the RockyMounts has a tray swing out, and it won't accomodate fat tires. The NSR and the Recon do not depend on tire size for fitment.

I had a Yakima Hold up that I had modified to fit my fat bike until I stupidly left it beside my storage unit while i was hunting for something else and forgot to put it back in before I left. Now it is gone, hopefully to some other lucky cyclist. So i'm on the hunt for a new rack as well. I wish the cost of the 1Up wasn't so high for 3 bikes.

The new Yakima Dr. Tray is intrigueing because it can be expanded to 3 bikes and allows for both fore/aft and side/side adjustment for bike fit. With the 3rd tray it's only slightly less than the 1Up but doens't look as well made.

The NSR 4 is nice, borrowed my buddies when we went to CO recently and held three bikes pretty good. Mind you his was a first gen one that he has had for YEARS so fitting newer bikes with big bars and wheels caused some phenegalling to get them on and spaced properly. Newer versions are supposed to be much better. The ReconRack are nice as well, very very solid from what I have read. Personally, I want a tray style that I can add trays to if needed (e.g. Kuat NV type).

Also, I thought that Yakima or THule was releasing something this year where it was a swing out based rack??? Or am I imagining things?

Craziness..... wonder is something happened and they split the company or something. I remember always looking at the second site that was linked to from their main site (separate product sales site).

Another vote for the Kuat here. I got the NV 2.0 Base, plus a 2 bike extender (rarely used, so will add/remove as needed). This thing is major beef compared the suspender style racks I've used before. Zero shakes or rattles. I can't tell it's back there.

I was pleased to find out that, empty or loaded, there's zero loss hatch and tailgate function.

View attachment 1458763

View attachment 1458765

View attachment 1458766

View attachment 1458767

Hit up my brother, @BillRiley here. He's a dealer, can ship, and offers a 'mud discount to LC brethren.

CAM BRO.
I want to get one of these, but hack it up so its coming off one of my swing outs.
How much does it weigh?

CAM BRO.
I want to get one of these, but hack it up so its coming off one of my swing outs.
How much does it weigh?

It's pretty hefty. The shipping weight is 65 lbs, so probably at least 50, 55.

Last edited:
Northshore NSR4 here. I've had it for almost four years now and it's probably seen at least 60k miles. The only issues I have seen start to develop within that time frame is that the rubber hoses that slide onto the prongs start to wear out. When I bought the rack I ordered an entire replacement set for $16, but fuel line or any other type of similar hose works just as well. It's very easy to trim to length and slide into place. More recently, the middle hinge section that allows the top half of the rack to hold down has developed some slop. The pin has wallowed out the holes in the 1/4" steel. I'm on the fence if I just want to bolt it, or drill slightly larger and find a larger pin. I also added a $15 brake light that hooks up to the trailer lights for piece of mind. I've only ever had one bike come off while wheeling and that was when I chose the "fun" line and forgot I had a couple bikes on. It just popped it up and out and with the rear wheel still tied on it just bounced on the front tire and did no damage. I was pretty thankful for that. I would have lost a Kuat or any other platform rack a long time ago.
IMG_6241.PNG

It's also pretty easy to fold down, as long as you have wd40, and access the back of the vehicle with swing outs on.

IMG_6243.PNG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom