Builds Another OM617 in an FJ40 thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MB om617 idle should be 750. Engine mounts and bad injectors seem to be the top suspects for low end rpm shake.

Good to know-a brief search on the Google lists those two as the most likely culprits-but also lists about a dozen other possibilities, i.e valves etc...Not to mention it could be an out of balance flywheel or something that would require pulling the motor. Diesel swaps are not for the faint of heart. I cringe everytime someone posts a naive question like "which diesel will bolt in my FJ40?"

I read somewhere that 617's that originally had an auto behind them have a differently balanced flywheel than those that came with a manual, and that when mating an auto 617 to a manual transmission it is necessary to swap to a manual flywheel so that the engine will be properly balanced.

I read somewhere that 617's that originally had an auto behind them have a differently balanced flywheel than those that came with a manual, and that when mating an auto 617 to a manual transmission it is necessary to swap to a manual flywheel so that the engine will be properly balanced.

The motor/Toyota transmission adapter came with a balanced flywheel. Hopefully it isn't something that drastic!

What kind of mounts do you have?

I have to admit-I've been dragging my feet a bit on installing the rear axle as I have been hoping for a better solution than the Toyota 8" rear with stock 4:10 gears. I have been watching craigslist for years and it seemed like every week a built Toyota axle with 4.88s or a 5.29 showed up. Now that I have cash in hand and need one, I haven't seen one anywhere on the west coast for months....strange how that works. So, in with the crappy 8" rear axle.

I wouldn't include this in the diesel build section, but if anyone else does a OM617/Toyota 5-speed swap into an FJ40, this is the easiest way to make it work as the stock offset rear axle wont work with the Toyota centered transfer case output. The stock front axle won't work with an OM617 because the large oilpan and large pumpkin wont fit.

As it sits, the rear driveshaft is only about 19" long-which is short, but about the same length as the rear drive shaft would be on a stock FJ40 if you swapped in an H55.

After installing the new 2.5" lift springs-I think I may have to chuck the 5" shackle lift....

IMG_0952[1].JPG

And how she sits with the ancient dry-rotted 29" tires. It looks like it sits a little higher in the back than I like. but I'll wait until the springs settle under load before adjusting the height. Brand new BFG 33x9.50s coming soon.

IMG_0954[1].JPG

Brand new 9.5's?! Or 10.5's? 33's will look great once you get her dialed in.

Stuck again. Not to kick a dead horse, but once again I am reminded why it is a pain in the rear to try and finish someone else's project.

The driveshafts that came with the drivetrain-clearly do not fit the output flanges for the differentials. It also appears that the output flanges on the front and the rear of the Toyota transfer case are different. Is this stock for a 1985 Toyota?

In theory everything came from a 1985 Toyota 4x4. In reality nothing fits.

Frustrated. This thing was suppose to be up and running by now.

IMG_0958.JPG

Maybe landcruiser flanges on 85 shafts?? Must be some sort of land cruiser / pu mixup going on. Hopefully, someone with a trained eye will chime in.

Is it a w56 or R150 five speed?

may i ask what angle you engine ended up sitting at from from to back? i'm doing an OM617 but not using the stock transmission and transfer case so i don't have a rear reference point as to where the transfer case should sit. i'm currently at 5 degrees but the engine is sitting a little lower than i had hoped but if i raise the whole thing up too much the rear drive shaft is too steep. trying to find the happy medium "goldie locks" spot. i'm just trying to figure out what angle you guys are at when using the stock transfer case position. cheers

Last edited:
Well, if it was still in my yard it would still be completely life-less!!! You are getting somewhere. I still have a parts motor here I haven't had time to part out if you need anything. The vacuum pump worked but the check valve got borrowed and never was returned. Keep it up man! My turn to work on my rig..

Apologies for not responding sooner, had a lot on the plate lately. None of it as fun as getting dirty underneath an FJ40.
I would not be surprised if they are the T100 driveshafts. I don't know the lineage of the parts. Similarly, I cant tell the difference between a W56, R150 or the 1/2 dozen other variations of Toyota 5-speed transmissions. The transfer case is a gear drive/top-mount if that helps.

Franklin-I haven't measured the angle the motor sits-I dont even know what to measure off as I don't see anything straight or square to measure from. The motor is lower in the back than I would like but there isn't much wiggle room as I did not want to butcher vintage sheet metal. I just matched the angle of the transfer case output with the differential output yoke. Pretty unscientific, and I know folks with more complete shops/tools and actual skills are probably cringing, but budget is a real thing.

Kief-I just wanted to say thanks again for giving me a good deal on this old truck, and more importantly resisting the urge to "flip" it or part it out. I sometimes think old cars have a certain amount of karma.

I'd think your Luke's adapter plate should indicate which transmission you have. They sell one for the W56 and the R150. I'm suspecting it is an R150 because it came from a T100? You have a 50% chance of guessing. ;)
I respect and can relate to you doing your best on a budget! And good for you for not putting it on CL for $26k like hundreds of idiots are doing. You'll sort it out and it'll be worth it when you do!

do you by chance have a magnetic angle finder? i just sat it on the valve cover lengthwise and that gives a pretty good idea. if not no worries. just thought i'd check. of course the truck needs to be on level ground for that to work !!

do you by chance have a magnetic angle finder? i just sat it on the valve cover lengthwise and that gives a pretty good idea. if not no worries. just thought i'd check. of course the truck needs to be on level ground for that to work !!

Ill try to sse what I can come up with this weekend. The truck is not on level ground, but that can be solved quickly with a pair of floor jacks.

I'd think your Luke's adapter plate should indicate which transmission you have. They sell one for the W56 and the R150. I'm suspecting it is an R150 because it came from a T100? You have a 50% chance of guessing. ;)
I respect and can relate to you doing your best on a budget! And good for you for not putting it on CL for $26k like hundreds of idiots are doing. You'll sort it out and it'll be worth it when you do!

I'll look at the adapter this weekend and see if i can glean anything off it. And, you are not alone in your contempt for people trying to sell Land cruisers to gullible/unsuspecting people for ridiculous amounts. Kind of ruins the hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom