Group buy for ARQ4WD Awnings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Larry showed us his AluCab 270 last sat and the rear hatch doesn't open all the way up when it's deployed. However, that may not be an issue depending on your height. His awning is heavy enough to actually push the rear hatch down whereas these ones from Venezuela maybe light enough so that might not matter. Assuming of course, your upper hatch struts are very strong and is able to push the awning further up.

Last edited:
Nice data point. I would also be concerned with exactly what is contacting what... ie, is this the metal arm across the hatch or just "soft" material (but not abrasion free when dirt is in the mix)... leverage and contact pressure can be deceiving and one would hate to be surprised down the road.

I would have expected of anyone, Larry's rig would have had a standard "awning protection" feature built in where someone crawls out of the rear quarter panel, or maybe from next to the spare tire mount, and holds the awning and hatch out of contact... I be there is something in the owners manual about that.

I would have expected of anyone, Larry's rig would have had a standard "awning protection" feature built in where someone crawls out of the rear quarter panel, or maybe from next to the spare tire mount, and holds the awning and hatch out of contact... I be there is something in the owners manual about that.

Trunk Monkeys!

Ok ordered the 180...tick tock...can't wait

Wanted the 270 which would have been great for the FJ40 but not sure about the rear hatch on the 4R. It sticks up 10-12" above the roof rack...

Ok ordered the 180...tick tock...can't wait

Wanted the 270 which would have been great for the FJ40 but not sure about the rear hatch on the 4R. It sticks up 10-12" above the roof rack...
oh snap! well done, which side did you buy for?

i need to see your 180s and see if there'd be a way to accommodate the 270 with the rear tailgate. I'm thinking it might not too bad if the tailgate pushes up under the awning but who knows. Can't wait to see your awnings.

i need to see your 180s and see if there'd be a way to accommodate the 270 with the rear tailgate. I'm thinking it might not too bad if the tailgate pushes up under the awning but who knows. Can't wait to see your awnings.
I think the 3rd arm that reaches to the back corner would go right across the tail gate...shrug

well i received my awning... it's not what i ordered... i have a driver side 270 instead of a passenger 180... and no brackets and no hardware. but to be fair the box was mutilated at my doorstep.

ei1TqvBd6ToJe2cDJ774ehVZeNIVFIyNUFGR4AWH3m3OgcUcfGd0gyANviBL_Yq7CiObP8SnrG5PRT5NpWyFfx63utfqqAv4n0oHCIMHQ0jIn6k4WuWkCHfr9komPRi_lQ5yJivlEW1gw31DKQDOzil6NrlM48lb0MF3KAnNg3PRecYGcfjIv3GUdI2oOM_RJHKdXk2Sbsu_OD7bBCMoaXHd_gZeUmfzLto_rT35Xq3KNS4OCEW3b4rjKqGbNn0cAZgL854xqzPGASvdvy6MGshfydZI9fxK0UO-7mLet778HJdFKpyllybDY20Sm1SSbMzYG-2Wv2x727HqY_s96kDqLF5qO9N5Q3lxt271kCZCtj_404aWzxqnNpfvnmaqqP0N9gkv_aT7wA4o73RTcxAc_fxh_1PlYFPXM1z4MB7sSE4ej-LykoRELfXxmQ1GtDtYUEGDQlzmazoI15IVocWZcN7UNOwI89iFMOkIHlaXBetiQRwxrMyxsXrnLBW6j3i6A80cQbyboHUSev17h5_mfa7ocSiEeku4wUxYi-FuuO-oO5Ynqvt4nnK4Q7NmSesItpT7dH4cmeR8DySF6UbPgzSY5fMqAtqe7q5Lhsk=w743-h990-no

note the awning bag hanging out the missing end of the box
2jJtZiV3iDzn-HiuOE3rdCs4rr5y5Cq9js2wxfVwlA0_doDyLKWgWVKq2UsvGUWnipzzqhJpjeqolgBDTN_G39GSviEX2SjCoCl2kLXjEbv8INK7Q0-t9eM1UeETjsMAJr9zP-sH5ScCmiA9wF8J3prbikx06uJHy1AkURZyTN8eIIDh0WLMtNApgV4EZ07oA-K21O1ldN4pIJAjGaTq6AvlDLRMWdpanuK004JQSllhpKrXoLqX64XgD_aSFTYWpMxiH-v3be2ILpLZqukOlIBYOA4tDJFDJ-DPNuBinEpH6nb5Tv1FnNwUQlgBZfxCdSwc8XSc0kbc_cWxC4M--JtMGg97qkhGzONQmdBM5TfI82fqaQ0HEJXYFuWoGUUfizooevwbcCRWDlOKlTXuE_bKz1AKsY2uOApRf_lqPIRF93GBp4If5TUlLvLJyzbzQY7ztQfGaVHhBkMsKKT_3sInWiyKwK02tmb-5wXthSgRZnWwYJmpT2jYBAHQ0BFvdX2mWJCMz3EOUaJW6Y3Lc5HC_zvD8nyTh8iGykruCgS9MNZxLvwieJPNb4gs6J8-EI13NsrvJMT0Wn2z6p8Tv5VTYx3dIkUBgSxS-3lCJfQ=w1320-h990-no

yikes, their packaging leaves much to be desired.

yeah... but to be fair it did come all the way from venezuela... looks like a nice laser cut wooden box that can't take the abuse it is given in transit.

@sl33p3 Once you correct the issues with the vendor, if you want to sell the 270 in order to get your 180, let me know, I may be interested.

copy that. they are supposed to send me the missing parts... i'll let you know.

well i received my awning... it's not what i ordered... i have a driver side 270 instead of a passenger 180... and no brackets and no hardware. but to be fair the box was mutilated at my doorstep.

Is that the 6.5' 270? What are the dimensions? The proportions look different than all the other pictures of the 5' models.

Is that the 6.5' 270? What are the dimensions? The proportions look different than all the other pictures of the 5' models.

don't have dimensions since it's back in the bag, i need to fab some brackets and decide how/if i can use it on the 4r with the rear tailgate...

don't have dimensions since it's back in the bag, i need to fab some brackets and decide how/if i can use it on the 4r with the rear tailgate...
How did this all turn out? Did ARQ take care of you? Did they send the 180* you ordered? Did you set it up on a 4Runner? What do you think of the quality? I am outfitting both a 5th Gen 4Runner & my old Pathfinder. The idea of a self supporting awning is very attractive, especially for my 76yo Mom who overlands solo.

How did this all turn out? Did ARQ take care of you? Did they send the 180* you ordered? Did you set it up on a 4Runner? What do you think of the quality? I am outfitting both a 5th Gen 4Runner & my old Pathfinder. The idea of a self supporting awning is very attractive, especially for my 76yo Mom who overlands solo.

I ended up with the 270 they shipped wrong, they basically said: "oops pay the difference and we'll send you the brackets". So we traded my 180 for his mis-shipped 270. I use it both on my 5th gen 4R and my FJ40, the 4R you have to mount it higher up to clear the liftgate but we also sewed some velcro to limit the 270 to a 180 so I had options if it didn't clear.
The quality.....well isn't much to talk about, basically a home DIY project gone wrong that they sold. The bottom line is the price was right and if it was destroyed after a few uses it would be fine. It's not very rigid and I could see it folding in a wind gust pretty easy. It's best for sun shade and ok for rain but after a short time, the material soaks through. I'd try something else next time...

I ended up with the 270 they shipped wrong, they basically said: "oops pay the difference and we'll send you the brackets". So we traded my 180 for his mis-shipped 270. I use it both on my 5th gen 4R and my FJ40, the 4R you have to mount it higher up to clear the liftgate but we also sewed some velcro to limit the 270 to a 180 so I had options if it didn't clear.
The quality.....well isn't much to talk about, basically a home DIY project gone wrong that they sold. The bottom line is the price was right and if it was destroyed after a few uses it would be fine. It's not very rigid and I could see it folding in a wind gust pretty easy. It's best for sun shade and ok for rain but after a short time, the material soaks through. I'd try something else next time...
Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom