Stolen (and recovered) BJ70 Nor Cal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, that's not fun...returned from a week long work trip and...wait--I know I parked there! Gone. Local PD has my (new to me) BJ70 in their lot, found a few miles from where I typically park. Haven't seen the truck yet... but Police report says it was found with: 'no wheels, no stereo, no battery, no catalytic converter.' Who knows what else is not on the report.

Likely won't get to see it or talk to an insurance agent until Tuesday or so. Mostly concerned about transmission and clutch (along with everything else)..there aren't many 5 speeds around here these days, hate to hear how they drove it...

Wheels: done my searching on this forum. I've learned I'm looking for: 6x5.5 lug pattern, likely 16X8--but I'm not clear what other US Toyota rims are straight bolt on without spacers? Any help here? Alloy probably preferred.

I'll improve my anti-theft tools when I get 'er back!

Well, that's not fun...returned from a week long work trip and...wait--I know I parked there! Gone. Local PD has my (new to me) BJ70 in their lot, found a few miles from where I typically park. Haven't seen the truck yet... but Police report says it was found with: 'no wheels, no stereo, no battery, no catalytic converter.' Who knows what else is not on the report.

Likely won't get to see it or talk to an insurance agent until Tuesday or so. Mostly concerned about transmission and clutch (along with everything else)..there aren't many 5 speeds around here these days, hate to hear how they drove it...

Wheels: done my searching on this forum. I've learned I'm looking for: 6x5.5 lug pattern, likely 16X8--but I'm not clear what other US Toyota rims are straight bolt on without spacers? Any help here? Alloy probably preferred.

I'll improve my anti-theft tools when I get 'er back!

Straight bolt on in 16": non-US 7x series steel wheels. 16x7. No spacers needed. Direct fit. As seen below.

Glad you got the truck back. Hope insurance helps you out.

BJ70.jpeg

Straight bolt on in 16": non-US 7x series steel wheels. 16x7. No spacers needed. Direct fit. As seen below.

Glad you got the truck back. Hope insurance helps you out.

View attachment 1530928

You know what stock backspacing in on 70-series wheels @beno?

Cheers

Glad you got it back and it wasn't stolled n rolled. Lil peckerheads. Pictured is Toyota rim 16/7 I think with 235/85/16 tyres. Cheap

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks all,

Beno, those wheels should work long term--but I was hoping for some ideas on direct bolt on I can pick up on craigslist, etc immediately. The truck is sitting on it's hubs in an impound tow yard... I'd like to get it out. :)

Hi, the Tacoma wheels will work and they should be easier to find on Craigslist.

Agreed on the Tacoma rims. Especially the steels that often show up for a deal. Any rim for 2nd gen Toyota Hilux (pickup) or 4Runner has the correct bolt pattern and center bore. The steel truck rims of that era are direct fit but all of those are 15"...they should fit over your calipers and drums but you might need spacers to run the alloy 4Runner rims. You can use lots of late model GM wheels with the same hole spacing but a lot of thier center bores are too small to fit 70 hubs. Where are you in Norcal? There are some places in the East Bay that would have options but Craigslist is going to be cheapest. Good luck. There is a special place in hell for thieves.

Out of curiosity how big does the center bore need to be?

Hi, the Tacoma wheels will work and they should be easier to find on Craigslist.

Yes and no...not all Tacoma wheels will work. Some had the smaller bore like the Xrunner and a few other wheels.

The following wheels below will NOT work with a LC due to a smaller bore.
42601-AD020 (15" Tacoma silver steel wheel)
42601-04240 (15" Tacoma black spare wheel)
42611-YY240 (16" ILS aluminum wheel)
42611-04120 (18" Xrunner aluminum wheel)

I doubt you will come across any of these but just putting that out there in case you do.

Yes and no...not all Tacoma wheels will work. Some had the smaller bore like the Xrunner and a few other wheels.

The following wheels below will NOT work with a LC due to a smaller bore.
42601-AD020 (15" Tacoma silver steel wheel)
42601-04240 (15" Tacoma black spare wheel)
42611-YY240 (16" ILS aluminum wheel)
42611-04120 (18" Xrunner aluminum wheel)

I doubt you will come across any of these but just putting that out there in case you do.
maybe difference between the 2x4 vs 4x4 Tacoma's?

Tacoma wheels are positive offset and will require spacers. The correct backspace is 3.5 inches an the correct pattern is 6 on 5.5 inches.

maybe difference between the 2x4 vs 4x4 Tacoma's?

I don't think so because I see 106mm wheels on both. When I asked about why the xrunner was being dropped, I was told that it had to do with Toyota discontinuing certain frames and along with that went the smaller 60mm wheels.

Also, I forgot to mention the 42601-AD010 15" silver steel wheel also won't work but I doubt you will ever see that wheel as it was a very low runner.

2WD Tacomas, other than Prerunners, have 5 lug wheels.

Insurance co. kind of taking over things for a bit. The thieves took the wheels/tires, stereo, bunch of personal crap/recovery gear, roof racks, CB antenna, center console, batteries...random s***e. Busted the hell out of the ignition switch and steering column to jump start. Wait and see if it gets totaled and I salvage or if they repair. Will be a few days to a week. Seems very random for cheap wheels and a $200 stereo, but was probably entertaining for them.

Thanks everyone for the help. When I rebuild I'll likely go Beno stock wheels and some new rubber. For now, they are dragging my poor little toaster around on the brake drums....

I am sorry that happened to you @tsho. You can't go wrong with the wheels that @beno and @Burbot mentioned earlier as I have the same on my own.

Tacoma wheels are positive offset and will require spacers. The correct backspace is 3.5 inches an the correct pattern is 6 on 5.5 inches.

Are you positive it is 3.5" of bs? Not doubting you I just read somewhere else it is 3.25".

Tie rod clearance on all Cruisers is the issue from my experience.

Cheers

I am getting the museum ready for Cruiserfest on Saturday. I will see if I can get a window to pull a spare off of one of our BJ70s to confirm.

The aftermarket wheels I pulled off of my 74 had 3 5/8 backspace and they were not contacting the tie rods. They were 16 inch diameter however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom