Builds A Trakka Troopy Revival (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been dreaming far too long about getting a 70 series. I finally decided to stop wishing and sold all my projects I didn't truly love for one that I really did. After @6070toyetero texted me(by accident he claims) about a Trakka converted Troopy he had found, I made moves to sell my FJ62 and Defender 110. A 1985 HJ75 with 425,000 kilometers, rough around the edges but no frame rust and it had the Trakka Bushman conversion I really wanted. After giving Lukas some cash, I started the long wait.

I've been keeping everything documented along the way so I can hopefully chronicle the progress here.
More photos can be found on my Instagram: @ericalexanderwillis
Or my shop Instagram: @fitgarage

Day 60 BTE (before troopy era), two months before it arrived in the states.
IMG_0177_zpship5qsii.jpg

IMG_0175_zps6vnbwkgc.jpg

As I waited, I accumulated some parts to go on. I own a small Wheel, Tire, and Suspension shop in Bend, Oregon so I was able to source a bumper for a good price, and picked up some Powdercoated 15x8 Wheels with 33x10.50r15 BFG KO2 tires. I also sourced a set of Recaro seats, but ended up skipping installing them for the time being because I like the stock seats and my dog would absolutely destroy the cloth.
IMG_0718_zps76iaqqd0.jpg

At last, it arrived after spending a few weeks in customs in Portland. Lukas picked it up from Seattle and delivered it down here in Bend, arriving at 9:30pm. First drive was awesome, it ran great, tons of power, very tight and shifting perfect despite having over 400,000 kilometers. I tried to fall asleep, but absolutely couldn't. I ran to the shop and stayed up until 1am installing the wheels, tires and bumper.

Before:
IMG_0763_zpsnflbepdf.jpg

After:
IMG_0765_zpszlvrdnfh.jpg

Morning after, very pleased.
IMG_0770_zpse0vwqtbb.jpg

Legendary Aussie Bumper removed with the 31s in the background, replaced with an ARB unit. ARB is gaudy on it's own, this was just too much.
IMG_0774_zpsswg81qbe.jpg

Bend was(we still are) experiencing a summer of fires, so I snapped some photos near the shop, and was able to get it out on it's first venture. It did swimmingly.

IMG_0788_zpsfqvncjap.jpg

IMG_0820_zpsw7cvlc2d.jpg

DSCF4217-3_zpseryuw0ag.jpg

Last edited:
The paint was pretty faded, so I got to work hand buffing the outside with a couple cans of light rubbing compound and wax to remove surface rust and scratches. I hit the inside as well, it was pretty musty. By the end I got a pretty decent sheen, good enough for 32 year old Toyota paint.

IMG_0803_zpspemdzuow.jpg

Next, we got to working on the pop-top. The canvas was in bad condition, as was the headliner(non-existent). It took a few quarts of mold remover and bleach. I may end up replacing it in the future, but for now it's ok.

IMG_0825_zpslhihhu4v.png

IMG_0826_zpsa5zrkx19.png

We installed some beige wool felt to the fiberglass top, it still needs trim around the edges (incase the photo text isn't enough ha)

IMG_0827_zpsnblvx3p2.png

The struts were also blown out complete, dated back to 94. After trying a few different lengths and weights, I finally found the right shocks and repositioned the mounts outward to it the canvas sit more taunt.

Started to replace all lights and lenses, I like to do this every time I get a vintage vehicle.
IMG_0829_zpszc5npitf.jpg

New Radio as well, along with some other random OEM replacement parts.

IMG_0830_zpsvzm7ypwe.jpg

IMG_0839_zps9go2gjqe.jpg

IMG_4670_zpsituiyvsl.jpg

And new glow plugs, starts much healthier now that all 6 work. One was snapped in half.
IMG_5520_zpssh5xtm7b.jpg

Last edited:
And some glamor shots from last weekends camping trip, the break in. Camping was a solid 8/10. Things to upgrade include interior storage, and a longer, less saggy sleeping platform. Not quite as cozy as the CVT Roof Top Tent we have on our 80 series, but it's going to get there. I really like how easy the setup is, so much faster.

IMG_0865_zpsugyvsqwh.jpg

DSCF4348_zps4hb2hedt.jpg

(a stuck 2017 f-250 in the background)
DSCF4405_zps9f0andub.jpg

DSCF4471_zpslnbbwmwu.jpg

IMG_0932_zpstun8zfxx.png

Last edited:
Welcome! The NW Troopy clan keeps growing.

Give me a shout on your way though Portland sometime and I'll buy you a beer. I'm beginning to prototype a pop top design and that Trakka top has the best lines IMHO. Would be great to see it in person and pull some measurements.

Welcome! The NW Troopy clan keeps growing.

Give me a shout on your way though Portland sometime and I'll buy you a beer. I'm beginning to prototype a pop top design and that Trakka top has the best lines IMHO. Would be great to see it in person and pull some measurements.

Will do, vice versa if you ever swing through Bend.

Good looking troopy. Amazing how a small area like Central Oregon can hold some amazing trucks. That's the second Trakka that has been in Bend and I know of a few troopies in the area. I am in Sisters if you ever want to chat.

Hey how does it go with the 33s? I've got a 1988 Trakka and am weighing up whether to stick with the 31s or go 33s. Does it slow it down much? How does it handle? It looks great on the 33s though, and love the wheels. Cheers

Good looking troopy. Amazing how a small area like Central Oregon can hold some amazing trucks. That's the second Trakka that has been in Bend and I know of a few troopies in the area. I am in Sisters if you ever want to chat.

Sounds like a plan, I think I talked to you once before about coming out there but it never worked out.

Hey how does it go with the 33s? I've got a 1988 Trakka and am weighing up whether to stick with the 31s or go 33s. Does it slow it down much? How does it handle? It looks great on the 33s though, and love the wheels. Cheers

You know, I have no idea because I have no comparison. I removed the 31s almost immediately, I drove about 5 miles on the 31s when the truck arrived. It drives well with 33x10.50s, as far as I'm concerned. BFG does size a little on the smaller size, these actually measure out to be a 32.5 or something haha. They kind of jip you.

Those look a little wider than 33x10.5s? Looks great though, nice.

If you say so. They are stamped 33x10.50. BFG claims 32.56x10.55

Thanks

troopys unite.... subbed. envious of the trakka top... one day.....

Looks amazing! I am jealous of the Troopy owners who can get the camper tops. One day I hope to have one too (with the Alu-Cab top.)

I run 32x11.5 which is close to original split rim size.I tried 33's years ago but geared it far to high for a 2H

The Traaka's tops are so cool. Great looking Troopy, I digg the wheel and tire combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom