Builds Dirty Bastard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally found a lower radiator hose that is a good fit!
Gates 21851.
Start up should happen today. I will take and post video.
20170827_095559.jpg

No luck getting it started. I wasted three hours getting the winters shifter cable hooked up (great shifter, stupid cable retention design) and then had to chase a leak from the thermostat housing.
Tomorrow's another day though.

The saga of wiring continued today; with the relay activated circuits almost complete (I ran out of isolated female spade connectors today) I realized that the great majority of the wiring from the painless harness will actually be discarded, which gave me a huge relief.

So CTW will be it's maiden voyage?
That's the plan. I'll drive it around the neighborhood and for errands to check for leaks and get the gears broken in, but CTW will be the first trip in the woods (fire danger allowing).
More wiring completed today. I need to go over my checklist, but first drive should be
20170901_123826.jpg
this week (i hope).

So I'm wrapping up the wiring (still need to make a dash to mount the accessory switch panel and Dakota dash) and found that I'm missing my brake switch. I have a fancy little dual function switch from PSI to actuate the brake lights as well as the torque converter lock-up function, but installation would require some fancy fabwork underneath the dash. Instead, I'm going to run a relay tied to the brake switch (ordered a new one) that will activate the TCC.
Here's a link to how it works: Jaguar Specialties

So I'm wrapping up the wiring (still need to make a dash to mount the accessory switch panel and Dakota dash) and found that I'm missing my brake switch. I have a fancy little dual function switch from PSI to actuate the brake lights as well as the torque converter lock-up function, but installation would require some fancy fabwork underneath the dash. Instead, I'm going to run a relay tied to the brake switch (ordered a new one) that will activate the TCC.
Here's a link to how it works: Jaguar Specialties

You can also get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTHFNJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The blue wires are NC when the switch is pressed (TCC) and the black wires are NO when the switch is pressed. It is the correct thread pitch and diameter to fit a 1970 FJ40, and short enough to screw in without having to remove the dash brace. Saves the space of having an extra relay and associated wires under the dash.

I was ready to button up the dash today then I noticed some ATF on the floor? Turned out I had ATF going through the black box so I took it all out and put new seals/gaskets in all of it. Tomorrow I'll be cleaning up the wiring and tucking things away. Hope to also have the fenders and side skirts back on.
With luck, I drive it on a trailer and get the exhaust installed Wed.

Last edited:
The past two days haven't been fun. Yesterday was spent resealing the doubler (both cases) due to ATF getting into the first case. Topping off the transmission today though and things look to be good.
Today, things were going great. I was tidying up the wiring and topping off fluids, but when I gave steering input into the steering box, the input seal gave up the ghost or West Texas 4 Wheel & Offroad missed something rebuilding this steering box. Fluid was pouring out of the ...box! Let's not forget, this is the first time this steering box has been given input with pressure and it died!!
I then was wondering why my cooling fan never kicked on while the truck was running, so I tested it outside of the truck. It was dead. This is the second issue I've had with a product from Champion Cooling Systems, the first being their "FJ40" radiator did not fit in the factory mounting location without hood interference (I've since found I'm not the only person with this issue), and now the fan they provided as a part of their "kit" was nothing but trash.

getting close to done! looks good so far (besides the latest problems).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom