"Lifting" an FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang, Has anyone put a lift kit on their FJ40? I am thinking about getting the Extreme (4") lift kit from CCOT, but was wondering what problems to expect.
Do the shafts have to be lengthened?
What about the shaft angles?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

@Paul78FJ40 - I'm running the HFS 4" lift with 2.5" extended shackles and have been pretty happy with them.

I didn't have to lengthen any drive shafts, but I have running the correction shims on front and back. Also running 35x12.5x15s MTs.

IMG_9953.JPG
IMG_2190.JPG
IMG_2434.JPG
IMG_6245.JPG

Thanks 74HogGuy. Do the correction shims come with the kit? How much lift did you actually get? I was thinking about the 1.5" shackles, but I'm not sure.
How's the ride?

Thanks 74HogGuy. Do the correction shims come with the kit? How much lift did you actually get? I was thinking about the 1.5" shackles, but I'm not sure.
How's the ride?

Correction shims don't come with the kit...you'll have to get it separately.

Rides like a short wheelbase vehicle on lift springs lol! Not bad though. If you're going with 33s then the 1.5" shackles are just fine. Mine was sagging pretty bad so amount of lift can vary greatly.

Hey HogGuy, Do the shims go on the top, or bottom of the spring stack?
Also, did you have to drill out the hole in the shim?
Thanks.

Hey HogGuy, Do the shims go on the top, or bottom of the spring stack?
Also, did you have to drill out the hole in the shim?
Thanks.

Here's an old pic. I had to take c-clamps and clamp on each side of the spring pin to hold the leafs together. You'll then remove the spring pin and place the shim on top. Fat side towards the back. No drilling requires. Then tighten the spring pin and you're good to go.

IMG_1943.JPG

Ok. I was working with the notion that I would leave the pins installed, and slip the shim over the pin. However, the pin that came installed is way too big for the shim to fit over.
I notice you put the grease fittings to the inside. Any reason for this? I was debating about whether to put them inside, or out, and thought I would go out.
We have slightly different set-ups. My u-bolts go from top to bottom, but mine is a 1978 model.

Ok. I was working with the notion that I would leave the pins installed, and slip the shim over the pin. However, the pin that came installed is way too big for the shim to fit over.
I notice you put the grease fittings to the inside. Any reason for this? I was debating about whether to put them inside, or out, and thought I would go out.
We have slightly different set-ups. My u-bolts go from top to bottom, but mine is a 1978 model.

Is the hold in the shim not the same diameter as the pin? I was thinking the head or pin end should protrude up and sits inside the mount on the housing.

I personally put the grease fittings to the side so youre not looking at them from the side profile.

I'm also running the 4-plus products ubolt flip kit which is why you see that portion is different.

Hope this helps - Justin

No, the hole in the shim is smaller than the pin.

I would personally ask CCOT what the deal is. The threaded portion should be the same size as the hole with the spring pin head keeping it all compressed together.

I was over-thinking, not thinking, or trying to do it incorrectly. I was thinking just putting the shim over the pin which wouldn't work. I would lose the pin's purpose.

"Install thick part of the shim to the front of the rear axel. Shim installs on center pin of the spring stack."
I copied this from CCOT's website.
Now I'm totally confused.

Some good info here:

Daiing it in, measuring rear pinion angle to see if I need shims

The purpose of the rear shim is to get the pinion angle correct with the transfer case angle.

Typically longer that stock shackles and lift springs can cause your pinion axle to get out of whack. An angle finder will help you determine where you need the shim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom