Anyone have Head gasket front and back pics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to compare the head gasket that I can find locally here in Peru with the upgraded OEM head gasket.

Unfortunately Toyota doesn't carry it and don't really want to wait a month to get the part shipped from USA if I don't have to.

Oh yeah, the head gasket slowly surrendered while on what was going to be a long road trip in Chile. Had to turn around and cut the trip a week short when the head gasket started leaking pressure into the coolant system. We limped home 500 miles with the radiator cap on loosely to bleed out the building pressure, blew the top radiator hose off twice due to the pressure before leaving the cap on loose and checking fluid every half hour.

Best decision I made was to put on an after-market temp gauge before the trip, this gave me a heads up something was wrong. The factory gauge never moved even when the aftermarket showed temps rising.

Good news, no oil - water mixing, seems to be just pressure entering the cooling system. I think the problem had been happening for a while, but the old leaking radiator was masking the HG issue, new radiator installed before the trip revealed the problem.

Based on the photos of the new HG I have found, what do you guys think??
IMG_20170821_123355898[1].jpg
IMG_20170821_123407852[1].jpg
IMG_20170821_123435472[1].jpg

IMG_20170821_123445069[1].jpg

you missed me by a week, i can say that looks almost identical to the toyota one i just installed. as far as 100% the same i cant say, maybe one of our trusty parts guru's will have one on the shelf to snap a pic or 3 of for you.

After getting the gasket kit home and unwrapping it I saw this scratch pretty much across all cylinders, seems to affect only the cardboard part of the gasket, but the fire ring has some scratching too.

Thoughts on whether this is fatal?
There is pretty much a no return policy here, they assume you did the damage even if the parts guy knows he did it.

These are the worst of the scratches/ damage
1FZFE HG scratch.jpg

You've gotta make the call yourself, but a HG swap is a heck of a lot of work to undertake with a questionable and relatively inexpensive gasket. If I were in your shoes I would swap it for a perfect one.

From the cheap seats, where I sit, that looks a manufacturing defect? Looks like the final coating and sealer beads are over it? May work, but given the amount of work required, I would be hesitant to run it.

There is pretty much a no return policy here, they assume you did the damage even if the parts guy knows he did it.

If you have to eat it, try ordering just the head gasket?

Yep, I agree on the defect, I don't want to have the motor open again, It's worth the small $$ for a new one.

But, the real question is before I buy another--- Is this Gasket comparable to the upgraded OEM ??

Next time open it in the store?

Ugh, I hate it when when I screw up, but I was in a hurry and it was a full gasket kit in a crowded little shop. But you are right, I usually inspect everything I buy considering their no returns attitude.

But, the real question is before I buy another--- Is this Gasket comparable to the upgraded OEM ??

Yes, the old type had large triangle coolant holes at the rear (#6), the newer type has the smaller/round holes.

Darrell, If it were me, I'd spend the money to buy a real factory Toyota head gasket kit no matter how much time i had to wait to get it. Plus if you buy a Toyota head gasket kit, all the other replacement gaskets will be Toyota too. YMMV

I have these older photos of my new OEM gasket

8620239221_f1af31d380_o.jpg

8620239173_3b081c8e3d_o.jpg

Darrell, If it were me, I'd spend the money to buy a real factory Toyota head gasket kit no matter how much time i had to wait to get it. Plus if you buy a Toyota head gasket kit, all the other replacement gaskets will be Toyota too. YMMV

Because Toyota gaskets have never failed?:hillbilly:

Went ahead and ordered a new Toyota HG and bolts from Beno along with a timing chain tensioner, guide and follower. Not going to take chances with a slightly damaged or aftermarket HG. There is no AAA where I live and I don't want to be stranded, that could cost a lot more than a few parts and a 2 week wait on shipping.
Now Patience til they arrive.

Thanks for all the input !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom