Fj80 sound system replacement recomendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Plain and simple post, I have no speakers in my 1996 fj80 (siblings blew them all). The head unit is still working just fine. What replacement speakers would you guys recommend? I am a stickler for sound quality so I think i will replace the sub, and probably add an amplifier. Is the stock head unit worth keeping in? or should I replace it too? As of right now, I have intentions of running all new wires for the speakers, is that worth the effort? Any suggestions or comments would be wonderful! If i have to make a cup for the rear door speakers ill try to upload a Cad model of it with demensions

Thank you for your time

I found the information i needed on the forum. I would delete this post but i dont quite see that option anywhere

Link to helpful information you found?

Pioneer TS-G1645R front.

Pioneer TS G1045R rear.

Easy, straight-forward option. Should be pretty much plug and play, the stock speaker brackets will work will a little bit of cutting.

As for the stock head unit, get rid of it. Upgrade to a cheap double-din, bypass the factory amp and you will have an awesome sounding system.

Pioneer TS-G1645R front.

Pioneer TS G1045R rear.

Easy, straight-forward option. Should be pretty much plug and play, the stock speaker brackets will work will a little bit of cutting.

As for the stock head unit, get rid of it. Upgrade to a cheap double-din, bypass the factory amp and you will have an awesome sounding system.

Any chance you have a link to a head unit replacement? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money.....

@nickinportland

I just installed this deck (Pioneer DEH-X3910BT $90) along with the Pioneer speakers. It a single din so I went with the storage pocket as well.

Pioneer - In-Dash CD/DM Receiver - Built-in Bluetooth with Detachable Faceplate - Black

The system needed a bit more low end so I went with the under seat subwoofer from pioneer. The system sounds great now! For $90 the deck has been impressive espicially with the amount of controls available via the iphone over USB.

Underseat subwoofer

The pioneers mentioned above are great. Some protips from me (I just did my whole system this last week):

- Get the harness that bypasses the amp. Mine (1994) was a metra 70-1761.
- Every part of a well used 20+ year old stereo system sucks and should be upgraded.
- The "sub" in the back is a total piece of s*** and should be replaced. I went with a small kenwood powered sub and it's made a huge difference.
- I ripped out by double din and replaced it with a sony single up top and a uniden cb down below.
- Ripping the dash open and futzing with everything is a pain in the ass.
- If you put a sub or cb antenna in the back, run cables along the base near the door edges. The plastic and carpet pop up pretty easy. Run the power down one side and the signal cable down the other.

It's so much nicer having a dope sound system.

@nickinportland

I just installed this deck (Pioneer DEH-X3910BT $90) along with the Pioneer speakers. It a single din so I went with the storage pocket as well.

Pioneer - In-Dash CD/DM Receiver - Built-in Bluetooth with Detachable Faceplate - Black

The system needed a bit more low end so I went with the under seat subwoofer from pioneer. The system sounds great now! For $90 the deck has been impressive espicially with the amount of controls available via the iphone over USB.

Underseat subwoofer

Killer! Might have to check out your FJ when I'm in Bend next, :)

so what speakers do yall recommend for the roof speakers in the rear and for the 2 dash speakers as well as replacing the sub in the rear?

i see the Pioneer speakers for the front and rear door speakers but id like to replace all speakers!

Double din with rear view camera works well.

Replace rear ceiling speakers with tweeters and rear sub near side with a amp under the passenger seat.

P.s don't go two big with the sub 6 inch is fine but get shallow fit.

I have mine powering the fronts & sub on the amp and the rest working on the double din.

IMG_3098.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

Last edited:
I have my headliner out, so I'm trying to get everything under there improved before I put it back. I've insulated (both for vibration and heat/sound) and I decided to put in new speakers. I found these 3" speakers for only $16 a pair for the 3" 4ohm pair.

Of course I'll be going from 1W 25ohm to 15W 4ohm. I'll be running new 14 gauge wires and close it all up shortly. I'll address the power later. Frankly, if cannot get them to work out, so be it. I spent $16. The factory speakers are actually in pretty good shape, but they were weak. So worst case scenario, I have no rear speakers and I doubt I will notice the difference.

They fit into the factory bracket perfectly. They are little tight in depth - they are pressing against the insulation and I might need to add a few washers to shim them out, but they fit. I do not know if this will mean they press against the headliner. I don't know if I had any space before, but they are only pushing out a few millimeter more than stock.

It's been years since I studied this stuff in school and even more since I built my high school level of epic sound system, so I'm a little rusty on the specs of this change, but I believe 4ohms will be easier to match then 25ohms. But I figure I'm not worse off than I was before.

20170531_162313.jpg

Update: these speakers will not fit behind the headliner. They are too deep. I put the headliner back in and they almost broke the plastic grates. Back to the drawing board.

Pioneer TS-G1645R front.

Pioneer TS G1045R rear.

I used the Pioneer TS-G1645R for the front and rear doors. They can not handle the slightest bit of bass. I am fairly disappointed with them.

I used the Pioneer TS-G1645R for the front and rear doors. They can not handle the slightest bit of bass. I am fairly disappointed with them.
I was pretty happy with them at first, but after listening to them daily, I agree. The bass distorts at just about any audible level. I have turned the bass frequencies down quite a bit on my eq just to make it tolerable. I'm hoping to add a sub soon so I can cross them over and block the lower frequencies.

For SQ I went with Morel Virtus Nano spkrs and Im so glad I did. Sounds I didnt know were even in my decades old favorite songs began popping out imediately and still are. They're. spendy but fantastic and they fit anywhere depth wise.

I also just put the Morel Virtus Nano's in the front door. They sound amazing. Crazy how similar in shape they are to the stock speakers, really shallow with the cone inverted over the magnet. They are slightly larger in diameter, so had to make a little room to mount. ended up having to extend the hole where the stock grills attached and then epoxy the grills back on. They are a 2 way speaker, and the tweeter easily mounted on the dash, where there were already stock tweeters.

I found a double din Mcintosh head unit/amp combo on ebay that came out of a '01 Subaru and also installed that. The amp turned out to be dead, so got a small Nakamichi amp instead, and installed under the drivers seat. Sounds really damn good. Still haven't messed with the rear speakers or the sub, but almost don't even need them as is.

The head unit is slightly taller than the stock, and cracked the woodgrain sticker, so i just pulled the top and bottom of the sticker off and left the sides for now. Oh, the unit also has an out in the back for a cd changer, which I was able to plug a bluetooth adapter into. Works great. The adapter has a usb and 1/8 input as well that I just snaked into the glove box.

IMG_3036.JPG

Last edited:
For SQ I put in a Pioneer DEH80prs, the second best HU they make. I then used JL amp but teplaced it for a ripping Pioneer PRS800 class D 125W ch amp.
I had Polk speaks but replaced them with Morel Virtus Nanos. Awesome speakers and they fit easily. I also have an Infinity 12" sub in a small 1 cubic ft box.

This system sounds killer. In an authentic sort of way, not a punched up rattley bass sort of way.

Get rid of the HU and try the Polks shallow 6.5" speakers. If not go to Woofersetc.com and check out some awesome speakers. CDT, Focal, etc.

I put 6”(not 6.5”, they’re actually 6” but fit in 5.25 brackets) with a 1” spacer up front, should have done my rear doors the same way too, but I was stupid. With a 1” spacer up front, it barely clears the dash and window track, but they do.

I got a deck(love this deck, I own 3) from amazon for 172 bucks, plus xm antenna. No modifications needed to fit.

My front speakers sound amazing, rear door speakers are lacking a little, maybe they’re too big for the factory amp(my guess) so I’ll delete my rear heat and run an amp some day.

6E136A98-D0F3-4253-9668-EAE146AE6E80.jpeg

0A4913DE-AF67-4C06-8202-FEF6354E8143.jpeg

7268B4BB-665F-4558-988F-D2E244D403F1.png

927D9845-57FF-4F7E-99F5-C07DE6A5AEE0.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom