Monstaliner Bedliner (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone use monstaliner on paint that has zero clear coat left? Was an AZ truck for a good portion of its life

Should I use the 2K primer first? And if so do I re scuff and prep before apply monstaliner?

Anyone use monstaliner on paint that has zero clear coat left? Was an AZ truck for a good portion of its life

Should I use the 2K primer first? And if so do I re scuff and prep before apply monstaliner?
Always, ALWAYS prep the surface as per the instructions. Regardless of the surface not having clear left on it you will need to scuff the surface based on the instructions from MagnetMan/Monstaliner. This cannot be stressed enough with this as the prep is truly the key to being able to properly apply the product and have it adhere.

Hello everyone, I'm new here. Actually joined the forum for this thread specifically. I have a couple questions. I just ordered my kit and was about to start putting it on this weekend but read something on one of the earlier pages of this thread that made me hesitate. I ordered the desert sand kit, but someone made a comment about the original paint needing to be the same color as the desert sand for it to come out correctly. Is that true? I was also wanting to paint my plastic grill, chrome bumpers, ans plastic side steps as well. What do I need to do to prep these areas to adhere to them properly? The roof of my vehicle had a bit of rust. More than just surface rust but not all the way through the metal. I grinded it down and then sprayed it with rust converter, then rattle can auto primer. This should be fine correct?

Prep is key regardless of the material. Look on the Monstaliner site as I thought I remembered seeing instructions for painting it on plastics.
As for the rusty sections, just make sure they are clean and then scuffed per instructions and then roll over it.

The paint matching question is a new one to me. Never heard that before but you will be better off talking to one of the guys who has tried to match the colors.

As thick as this stuff goes on, I'm not sure why it would matter what your original color is. But I'm still learning too, hopefully I'll be putting it to practice before winter.

Pulled the trigger and monstalined the rig this past month, now just getting around to posting photos. I unfortunately didn't take photos of the entire two week process.

Took 3 Gallons + 1 Quart, 2 coats, color is Midnight Special. It looks maybe a shade lighter to that dark blue cruiser color that the 60's have. Texture came out great. I was worried the color would be too light but I love it. All in after brushes/mix buckets/extra tape ~$600.

Originally I was going to paint the doors off the truck on some sawhorses, but after applying the texture to the interior of the doors I was worried that gravity had an effect on the texture, so to match the texture of the fender/quarter panels the doors were painted a week later after hanging them.

I'd recommend buying two mini kits + six or seven extra rollers, as I used the texture sponge in the tight corners, to mop up drips, door weather rails, etc.
I used a new brush/pan/sponge for each coat, and kept some MEK around to loosen up the brush when going back to it after rolling.

Photo Jul 11, 10 18 41 AM.jpg
Photo Jul 13, 1 59 24 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 13, 12 36 26 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 13, 1 59 16 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 18, 1 41 31 PM (1).jpg

Pulled the trigger and monstalined the rig this past month, now just getting around to posting photos. I unfortunately didn't take photos of the entire two week process.

Took 3 Gallons + 1 Quart, 2 coats, color is Midnight Special. It looks maybe a shade lighter to that dark blue cruiser color that the 60's have. Texture came out great. I was worried the color would be too light but I love it. All in after brushes/mix buckets/extra tape ~$600.

Originally I was going to paint the doors off the truck on some sawhorses, but after applying the texture to the interior of the doors I was worried that gravity had an effect on the texture, so to match the texture of the fender/quarter panels the doors were painted a week later after hanging them.

I'd recommend buying two mini kits + six or seven extra rollers, as I used the texture sponge in the tight corners, to mop up drips, door weather rails, etc.
I used a new brush/pan/sponge for each coat, and kept some MEK around to loosen up the brush when going back to it after rolling.

View attachment 1520494 View attachment 1520496View attachment 1520500View attachment 1520495
View attachment 1520501
Looks great! Ive been trying to figure out a way to match the 80 series nightshadow pearl, but decided midnight special is going to have to do. Glad to finally see some good pics of it on a cruiser :)

View attachment 1520494 View attachment 1520496View attachment 1520500View attachment 1520495
View attachment 1520501

Damn that looks really good and that was the color I had planned on using for BeBe (my 60). However, I have decided that I am going to spray my truck on my own using a farm implement paint. Maybe one day I will ML the lower sections...

Here's how we're on March the liner puts up with some extreme damage
IMG_8891.JPG
IMG_8892.JPG
IMG_8893.JPG
IMG_8895.JPG
IMG_8896.JPG

That instills confidence.

and at the same time no confidence in my driving abilities.... Actually this is two dents. The first one was way off camber bypass trail (imagine the actual trail), when the low side of the trail that i was trying to ride to get less camber, started to crumble.... Another tree was there, so I was pushed sideways into it and used it as pivot point.

I ordered my color chips today.

I literally JUST noticed that this place is in Cullman, AL. @magnetman do you have a store front or do I have to order online? I could pick up a couple of gallons the next time I'm over riding Stony Lonesome...

I ordered my color chips today.

I literally JUST noticed that this place is in Cullman, AL. @magnetman do you have a store front or do I have to order online? I could pick up a couple of gallons the next time I'm over riding Stony Lonesome...

No formal store front right now but yes, just call ahead so they can pull the order for you

@magnetman pictures did not work. You got us all excited to see this....

@magnetman will the monstaliner website be updated with all the new colors?
Also, if I order the full paint chip set, does it come with all the new colors as well?

@magnetman will the monstaliner website be updated with all the new colors?
Also, if I order the full paint chip set, does it come with all the new colors as well?

Full chipset will include new colors.
Shopping cart will show chip pics, not sure if website is going to get updated.
In the midst of a full site redesign

Having an issue here attaching a pic. Is the mountain with the sun the correct method? It only allows me to paste an image url.

Use the "Upload File" button on the bottom right of the reply window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom