Southern Utah trail info request - GOT McGath Lake? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Looking to venture out in Southern Utah to McGath Lake trail for some cool high elevation. Trail has a higher than average difficulty rating making it more interesting. Not a lot of info anywhere just reaching out to see if anyone been before. Looks like traction should not be a problem with all the hikers on the trail.:grinpimp:

McGath Lake Trail

I am not familiar with that lake but the Boulders offer some excellent backcountry exploring and fishing too. Bring your pole. Sounds like a great spot and worth a visit. I will be interested in hearing a report.

Ran McGath Lake trail last week solo I was the first tracks for a while.:D A fun trail when dry, muddy or heavy rain you are not going to make it. Much is off camber to a point of no return, two water crossing and 3 steep climbs but with a nice reward.

The Lake is pristine at ~9500' in heavy bear country. I was at the lake for 15 minutes and it started to rain lightly. :( After 10 minutes the rain turned to hail. At that point I made the decision to head back. Short heavy rain you will stuck for a few hours, much more than 15 minutes of heavy rain you are there for at least overnite. I did made it out without drama.

IMG_0165.JPG

Thanks for the follow up report Phil. Sounds like a good mountain trail. Do you have a pictures of the crossings or trail? Lockers needed when trail is dry?

I may have to check that out next time we head to Utah.

Ran McGath Lake trail last week solo I was the first tracks for a while.:D A fun trail when dry, muddy or heavy rain you are not going to make it. Much is off camber to a point of no return, two water crossing and 3 steep climbs but with a nice reward.

The Lake is pristine at ~9500' in heavy bear country. I was at the lake for 15 minutes and it started to rain lightly. :( After 10 minutes the rain turned to hail. At that point I made the decision to head back. Short heavy rain you will stuck for a few hours, much more than 15 minutes of heavy rain you are there for at least overnite. I did made it out without drama.

View attachment 1515750

SWB, lockers, armored, turbo 3B and 33's: doable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom