Running a 6 HP shop vac off my invertor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com

6HP - ha ha ha ha.... 1HP is about 745W. 6HP would draw around 6 x 745W = 4470W.

That shop vac 6HP rating is the equivalent of when they had peak music power b/s for quoting insane audio amplifier power levels. i.e. total marketing/sales b/s.

cheers,
george.

Reactions: RFB
To add dont overlook start up amperage often start up surges will need 50% or more amperage.

▼What will work▼:p

upload_2017-8-13_10-35-27.png

I thin k i now have rear all sorted out simply waiting for the last piece which is a anderson plug for my fridge from joey,.........................

I thin k i now have rear all sorted out simply waiting for the last piece which is a anderson plug for my fridge from joey,.........................

I know I know. I had an H55 transplant I needed to finish :(

IMG_3192.JPG
IMG_3204.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: RFB
I know I know. I had an H55 transplant I needed to finish :(

What's the story here? You have some fancy hardware for sure.

How are you going to support the transmission?

What's the story here? You have some fancy hardware for sure.

How are you going to support the transmission?

It's in a 40. I used an early 2F bell housing which has the ears. It's not going to be a hardcore off road 40. It's just for putzing around town.

6HP - ha ha ha ha.... 1HP is about 745W. 6HP would draw around 6 x 745W = 4470W.

That shop vac 6HP rating is the equivalent of when they had peak music power b/s for quoting insane audio amplifier power levels. i.e. total marketing/sales b/s.

cheers,
george.

You mean my 10000 watt Pyramid amp I got from the gas station in 1985 isn’t legit?! Dang it all..... I knew it..... $15 doesn’t buy ya much!! Lol

You mean my 10000 watt Pyramid amp I got from the gas station in 1985 isn’t legit?! Dang it all..... I knew it..... $15 doesn’t buy ya much!! Lol
LOL indeed An sadly my very expensive(secnd hand) magnum died so I replaced it(so far) with a go pwer 700 watt PSW invertor. but I dig like having the charging option so I could fully charge both truck batteries when needed..

Personally I find the air hose is my go to for cleaning up the inside after a trip:hillbilly:

If you have water ingress do you drain in the floorboards with a rifle?

If you have water ingress do you drain in the floorboards with a rifle?

Mate bought a 4x series trayback from a road surveyor many moons ago. He would do so many water crossings that his solution was to use a cold chisel to punch holes (you could tell from the shape) in the floorboards. The outer door skins had been pushed in so many times that his solution was blocks of wood pushed between the skins - below the windows - of course that meant the windows only went up/down a few inches... He'd lost the front brake lines, so just folded over the front hard lines and crimped them shut. The rear lines he bent/welded 1/2" right angle steel over the runs along the axle housing (after V cutting the steel to allow bends to be made) - we called that handiwork 'jaws'. Bent steering rods so needed strong arm steering to turn. Shocks were all 100% shot - no fluid left in them. Tubes (in tyres) filled with propane since that was the fastest way to refill after airing down. The list goes on and on.... :)

The surveyor claimed he was done with the cruiser and would in the future use a bulldozer to 'survey' paths for the road crew following behind... At the time the vehicle was only about 4 years old and totally trashed. Mate was doing a complete chassis up rebuild and dropping in a V8 & Auto so wasn't too worried about all the damage, though he ended spending a small fortune before he was up and running again.

cheers,
george.

While it's not practical to run a 6 hp shop vac off a single 12 volt with an inverter, I have always wonder why people don't run a smaller 120 volt AC 1 hp or 0.75 hp air compressors on an inverter, i..e in place of the 12v air compressors. The 120 volt air compressor typically perform better and are cheaper. For instance, compare the Puma 12v 0.75 hp 1.5 gallon compressor to their AC version of the 1.5 gallon compressor (though it's 1 hp). What's more. Using 120 volt make it much easier to wire to the back of the truck since you can use longer runs of smaller gauge wires, assuming you can put the inverter near the battery.

The only reason I can come up with is that a pure sine wave inverter (almost certainly needed to run motors) are expensive.

While it's not practical to run a 6 hp shop vac off a single 12 volt with an inverter, I have always wonder why people don't run a smaller 120 volt AC 1 hp or 0.75 hp air compressors on an inverter, i..e in place of the 12v air compressors. The 120 volt air compressor typically perform better and are cheaper. For instance, compare the Puma 12v 0.75 hp 1.5 gallon compressor to their AC version of the 1.5 gallon compressor (though it's 1 hp). What's more. Using 120 volt make it much easier to wire to the back of the truck since you can use longer runs of smaller gauge wires, assuming you can put the inverter near the battery.

The only reason I can come up with is that a pure sine wave inverter (almost certainly needed to run motors) are expensive.

I’ve reasearched this a LOT. I had a Campbell-Hausfield from Wally World when I had my last Heep. I wired a 1000 watt invertor into my Heep, and that compressor had no problem running all day or all night.(as long as engine idling) And that was a twin stack....maybe 1.5 hp(?) it’s been awhile.
But, from what I’ve read lately is investors are notoriously over rated. So that, along with a compressor needing about .5 second to start, make the invertor trip. Because a compressor is going to require twice the rated power for .5 seconds.
I was looking at a Toshiba twin stack yesterday....120v.... 14 amps. 120x14=1680 watts required to run....1680x2=3360 watts for .5 seconds to start. Now if you look for a true 2000 watt invertor (that will hold 4000watt start up) your talking big $$$! Harbor Freight, and these investors you can buy at auto huts.... etc. are WAY OVER RATED.
That is why most run 12 volt systems, or co2 tanks. But I’m STILL LOOKING FOR A CAMP-HAUS. Comp.!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom