1984 LHD HJ47 re-furbish (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.snlandcruisers.com
If any mod or a number of you think this thread is inappropriate by all means lets delete it!

I am a vendor, obviously, and I do plan to re-sell this truck. That is why I bought it. However, I also am an enthusiast, I drive these trucks I buy, I work on them myself and I sink my own money into them. I have very high standards and I feel a truck should meet a certain criteria before I re-sell it. I have recently started a business importing Latin American Cruisers. This is my second truck with this new venture, this thread by no means is meant to push that venture. What it is meant to do is share with you all what I think is a very cool truck! I have another thread going like this in the 70-series section which nobody seems to mind so I figured why not this truck as well!?

I was trying hard to find an HZJ75 Troopy as my second truck and I did find a few and missed out on a few as well. By word of mouth along comes this 1984 HJ47 pickup. I have a workshop down here in Latin America and as mentioned I do all my own work. I don't want to be doing full on restorations though, been there and done that. At this time no desire to do that. That is why I called this thread a "re-furbish" because that is what I am doing, re-furbishing a certain amount of the truck. Any ways, along comes this HJ47 by word of mouth. I seen it a number of times but never really checked it out closely cause I was hunting hard for a Troopy. So one day, my local friend says, hey you want to go check out the HJ47? I am like sure man! So I grab my headlamp, it is after dark now, and I grab my electronic body filler detector and we head on over to the guys place who own it. Now these guys found this truck like a year ago, in 100% original condition. It is a family who owns it, two sons and the father. They went and did "their" thing to it which honestly I am not very stoked on that. I would rather they just re-sold it (and to me) as they found it. Not the case though. So I start going over the truck with my body filler detector, I can't find any bondo! Wow, ok I am impressed. I do notice some rust, mostly the floor pans are shot and there is a bit in the floor of the bed. Ok fine, rust to me is better than 1/2" of body filler! I take it for a drive, it runs very good, most things seem to work just as they should. Gauges don't work though, speedo does but not the gauges. It shows 232,000 original kms which I am just going to call 145,000 original miles, slightly less but whatever. Over all the truck is pretty solid for it's age and in good condition. We start talking deals and they are way to high in my opinion. I make my low offer and they are like no way, we got more than that in it they say. I make my high offer which they refuse so my friend and myself leave and let them chew on it. Sure enough we strike a deal for my high offer and just over a week later the truck is mine.

That was yesterday. I received the truck yesterday and it is now in my possession. I did do a "feeler thread" on the truck in the classifieds before I bought it, to try and help me make up my mind. :hmm: Here is the thing, on the documents for the truck it says 1983 but I don't believe that. Down here back then registration was kind of a whatever you say kind of thing. I trust ToyoDIY.com much more than what the docs show down here. So I search the vin # at ToyoDIY and here is what I get, ToyoDIY.com also @tlaporte helped de-code the truck in the feeler thread which is as follows.

HJ47LP-K — H series engine (2H), J (jeep) body type, 47
L - LHD
P - Pickup truck
K - 4 forward gears

Engine: 2H. 3988 cc

Frame number (AKA VIN) - HJ47-033986

Color: 683 (olive)
Trim: LN11 (gray vinyl)

Trans/Axle: H41/K082

Per this post by @lostmarbles

KO82 differentials:
K means 9.5" ring-gear
08 means 4.11 gear ratio
2 means two spider gears

Plant - A11

Here is a picture of the vin plate that goes with this,

vin plate.jpg

Before I do any more typing, here are more pictures of the truck.
HJ47 1.jpg

HJ47 2.jpg

HJ47 3.jpg

HJ47 4.jpg

Cheers

So, obviously the truck needs new free wheeling hubs. The first thing I do after I buy it yesterday was go to the local auto parts store. I needed to pick up a couple of parts for my PZJ70 so figure why not ask about f/w hubs. I saw second hand ones there before. Sure enough, they got everything I need, second hand but no worries. Not two weeks ago I fully tore down the f/w hubs on my PZJ70 and rebuilt them, I will do the same with these. In fact they are already torn down and cleaned, just need to prep for paint and then reassemble.

HJ47 36.jpg

At the same time I picked up every thing to rebuild the knuckles, I am sure they need it! Koyo bearings, Japanese seals and knuckle ball wiper kit. I also got new wheel bearing nuts, lock washer, bearing thrust washer and snap rings. So this is my first repair on the truck.

Next up is a new clutch slave cylinder and rubber hose. I have an upholstery shop guy showing up to my shop on Monday and I think I am going to have him re-furbish the seats and maybe the door panels. I visited with them today at their shop, if I do have them do this I will go back to the stock grey color for the interior. The headliner is original and I think I am going to leave it alone. I may be re-furbishing the wiring harness on the truck, the original is not hacked up but there is some nasty hack job wiring in the engine bay and under the dash. Gauges will be working before I am done with this. E-brake needs a rebuild and I will be doing that for sure. More than this, well one thing at a time!! Or at least only several! ;)

Oh and yes the wheels suck! I have a line on original 16" splits, I will probably buy them for whomever owns this after me. I will probably also fit some 16" non-split wheels with new tires before this is all said and done.

Cheers

Looking at the long bed and the valence it must have been an army truck or some sort of government department maybe police vehicle. If it was olive I would bet Columbian army.
The pinto hook is maybe another proof.
The gears were different on army versions also in Aus but not sure what exactly. I think it had resprayed to this non-toyota blue. The overall look is ok, I would take it off the chassis and re-rust proof the body and spray to olive green or if you don't like military style then cadet blue (google that) its one of my favourite Toyota colours.
If you do nothing big to it at least pour some fish oil in the door lower frame cavity and the second cab mount cavity behind after cleaning the mud. These come out of wet jungles taking heavy toll on hidden body areas.. I'd also be interested the windshield lower corners to tub if any nastiness hidden there..
Fishoil it!

Looking at the long bed and the valence it must have been an army truck or some sort of government department maybe police vehicle. If it was olive I would bet Columbian army.
The pinto hook is maybe another proof.
The gears were different on army versions also in Aus but not sure what exactly. I think it had resprayed to this non-toyota blue. The overall look is ok, I would take it off the chassis and re-rust proof the body and spray to olive green or if you don't like military style then cadet blue (google that) its one of my favourite Toyota colours.
If you do nothing big to it at least pour some fish oil in the door lower frame cavity and the second cab mount cavity behind after cleaning the mud. These come out of wet jungles taking heavy toll on hidden body areas.. I'd also be interested the windshield lower corners to tub if any nastiness hidden there..
Fishoil it!

I am 90+% sure this was never an army vehicle. I am 95+% sure this truck didn't come from Colombia.

I will just come out and say it and please nobody take this wrong. I don't say exactly where I am in Latin America because I have been on forums and social media a long time. I have driven to Panama from Wyoming-USA and back to the USA three times covering well over 35,000 miles on those trips spanning more than 18 months time. I have done trips reports which have had well over 100,000 views, video series on youtube some of which have tens of thousands of views and hundreds of comments. I get really tired of the armchair quarterbacks telling me and the rest of us their opinions and how such and such country is full of crap trucks or whatever else they what to school me-us on, blah blah blah. I also ran the largest classic Nissan Patrol forum in the world for many years and from all this got a real sour taste in my mouth from the internet "know-it-alls". Not to say I don't like discussion, interaction, people sharing their opinions and everything that comes with forums and social media because I do. I just happen to not want to read-listen to people telling me how it is and how I should do this or that or how I am doing it wrong. How I am going to get my head cut off or how everybody in Latin America is a scammer. Been through all this for 15yrs and my personal opinion is arm chair quarterbacks are rather lame.

Now I am not tearing this body off the frame, just not doing it. This is not a restoration. Yes it has been re-sprayed but since it is not full of body filler it got my attention and that is a lot of the reason I bought it. The pintel hitch is very common down here. My 1990 PZJ70 has one, an original one. It is also an LX and it still has one. I have seen many Troopies here with pintel hitches, again it is common here. Latin spec trucks from what I have seen are a lot different than a lot of the rest of the world. For example, this HJ47 has drum brakes at all four wheels, no power steering, no A/C, no heater. It is bare bones and I am sure was marketed and sold as a work truck. This one though did come from the capital in the country I am in, if I had to guess I would say it wasn't used as a work truck for it's entire life. Part of it's life, sure I can agree with that but these trucks often stay in the area they were used in for their entire life. I have seen this with classic Patrols to no end in the USA. Plus I have looked at a lot of 47's/45's and 75 series trucks here which are "work trucks" and they are in way way worse condition than this HJ47.

It is not jungle here where I am at. Rather it is just like the Pacific Northwest in the USA where I was born and raised it just happens to not get as cold. All these trucks rust be it Land Cruiser or Patrol or whatever up to a certain generation. I have found with Cruisers the 80-series is when Toyota really got rust proofing dialed in well and rust is not so much an issue. This HJ47 has minimal rust considering it's age and not being from a super dry climate. Dry climate also has it's downfalls too, I have restored desert trucks so am familiar with all this stuff. Salt on roads is what really kills any truck, IE Europe and the Eastern USA just to name a few places in the world. That and beach use like a Patrol I used as a donor truck for the engine from Australia and imported to the USA.

Any ways, today I tore down one side of the front axle for knuckle rebuild. Got it all de-greased too. Free wheeling hubs were prep'ed for paint and then the centers were painted. Here is a picture of the work.

HJ47 37.jpg

Yes the PO painted the drum blue, yes it looks like crap, they obviously didn't think so. :rolleyes: Overall it is in pretty good condition in the outer axle, I was a bit surprised by that. By the looks of it, I am fairly sure mileage is accurate. And yes that front leaf spring pack is fairly flat, it is original what would a person expect after nearly 35yrs of the heavy 2H sitting on it! ;)

Original rear springs have lots of arch in them which is another clue to the life this truck has lived. However, it is anyone's guess as to what life a truck like this has had. If things are not and can not be documented it is simply that, guessing. I would rather not play a guessing game.

Again, please don't take any of this wrong @koxfarm I am loving your build! Read a few more pages tonight. ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
No worries pal, you no need to apologise as you said nothing offensive likewise myself. I love South America and I have spent half my life in "3rd World countries" so I have no issues with anyone.. trust me pal, I know the drill ;)
Btw, I would love a 40' series with ex-army pedigree and so I thought that is a positive .. also, not all army vehicles combat scared in fact most that are sold to civilians are utility or support backgrounds. I have bought an early LC from Army auction and that was only used to bring coffee to the field ;), I have a late model LC with isuzu engine also from Army auctions in Aus.
So yeah, keep the good work mate.. these old girls are only getting less and less, so saving one is better than saving the rainforest ;) just kiddin
Let me know if you want the spare wheel winch..

Now worries @koxfarm and my paragraph about why I don't say where I am in Latin America was not meant to be directed at you as much as just explaining why I don't just say to any and all who read the thread or my posts. Here where I am at the GAZ and UAZ were the military trucks back in the day so I really doubt any Cruiser was used for that here but it is entirely possibly.

For some reason I forgot to get the big grease seal on Friday for the back side of the hub so that stopped progress today. Had a lot going on Friday afternoon. No worries though, picking it up tomorrow and spent a fair part of the day working on my PZJ70.

I got all the blue paint off the hub today and loaded it up with new Koyo bearings and the seal.

IMG_4312.JPG

Also got the free wheeling hubs all cleaned up, greased and reassembled. Yes for this vintage they should be all gray in color but I don't have good gray paint available to me here and have black/red in the shop already.

IMG_4311.JPG

Cheers

Another HJ47 I saw this morning. SoA, disc brakes in front. Looked to be in real good condition, floor on the bed is straight and no rust I could see.

IMG_4317.JPG

Cheers

Hub and free wheeling hub installed.

IMG_4321.JPG

Ya this blue paint on the brake drum is lame! I think I am going to dump some brake fluid on it to get it off!! Drum is 100% original which is pretty cool.

IMG_4329.JPG

Juggling two truck right now work wise in the shop but I actually enjoy it this way.

Cheers

Starting to reassemble.

IMG_4421.JPG

I am also doing all new wheel cylinders, brake shoes, turn down the original drums, new brakes springs and so forth. The truck is also getting new front leaf springs, shackles, bushings, pins, ect.

Cheers

Drums turned down, brakes adjusted. Pretty much a done deal. Pain in the ass getting the lame blue paint off the drums but some used brake fluid helped a lot.

Got everything in hand to do new front leafs springs. Starting on that tomorrow along with taking seats and door panels in for a refurbish.

From all my searches it seems an HJ47 pickup in LHD is a very rare thing in the USA let alone one produced in 05/1984.

This truck is growing on me a lot. Would be super cool with disc brakes, SoA on 35-37" rubber, an H55, power steering, front and rear lockers and a turbo!

Cheers

By the way this truck is really starting to grow on me. I was building a very similar truck only the Nissan Patrol version before I sold off everything I owned and left Wyoming.

1977 Nissan Patrol "Ute" resto-mod

I can really see myself building up one of these HJ47's for my personal truck. They are very very cool! Especially in LHD!

Cheers

From all my searches it seems an HJ47 pickup in LHD is a very rare thing in the USA let alone one produced in 05/1984.

There were 1,085 HJ47's built in 5/1984. According to my documentation, there were indeed more RHD HJ47's than LHD iterations. LHD versions were only manufactured for 5 more months that year before EOP in 10/1984.

5/1984 started with frame number 033565 and ended with 034649. Assume 22 manufacturing days, Arakawa was manufacturing about 50 HJ47's a day that month. Based on your frame number you can pretty much determine the day of birth. ;)

Arakawa did not manufacture on weekends during that time period.

HJ47RP-K3 models were manufactured till 6/1985 but only in cab chassis iterations in RHD (meaning the beds were installed--if at all-- at the final port of destination).

Definitely a cool find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom