80s With Canoes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
Fine... I'll do it! Let's see em. Keeping it tech so make/model/ease of loading/unloading etc of said canoe.

Don't want to derail the thread on the first post but my canoe is in Sweden and my 80 is in Florida. This meets half the criteria...:D
My XJ was nice and in the family for 15 years until last year when the wife decided it had to go.

HPIM0297.JPG

Don't want to derail the thread on the first post but my canoe is in Sweden and my 80 is in Florida. This meets half the criteria...:D
My XJ was nice and in the family for 15 years until last year when the wife decided it had to go.

View attachment 1515335
BOOO! No heeps:flipoff2:

I use a Yakima rack with 1A Raingutter Towers. I have a set of Load Stops that help keep things from moving side to side, but if you use good straps, it's not going anywhere. The boats in this pic are a Wenonah Minnesota II in Kevlar ultralight and a Bell Infinity in Black Gold Carbon/Kevlar. Total weight on both boats is under 100 lbs, so the truck barely feels them even in high winds.

20170521_081447.jpg

Last edited:
Bell Nothwind 16'6" royalex

Canoe sits on cross bars I made using rectangular aluminum tubing with Gamiviti rain gutter towers. I use cam straps to secure the canoe and have no problem keeping it secured. Just got back last week from a trip in which I drove over 1000 miles with the canoe up top. The great thing/terrible thing about the 80 series is that mpg is decreased very little by the canoe up top. I usually try to keep my speed about 65mph with the canoe loaded. I have no problem loading the canoe as it only weighs about 60lbs.

IMG_1745.JPG

Does this count? I can fit 10 boats total :D.

The second pic is my 17' Alumnacraft and a 12' Ocean Kayak fishing kayak on Yakima crossbars. They are a PIA to load and I can't imaging trying to put them onto a lifted cruiser. Additionally, any sand/dirt that is on the boats ends up on the sunroof and then into the tracks. I greatly prefer trailers when it comes to hauling boats. All wet boats, life jackets, fishing gear, paddles, etc., and the associated mess, stay out of the truck.

20150510_165004536_iOS.jpg

Scout Trailer.JPG

View attachment 1515335
Uuuuuuummmm

Bell Nothwind 16'6" royalex

Canoe sits on cross bars I made using rectangular aluminum tubing with Gamiviti rain gutter towers. I use cam straps to secure the canoe and have no problem keeping it secured. Just got back last week from a trip in which I drove over 1000 miles with the canoe up top. The great thing/terrible thing about the 80 series is that mpg is decreased very little by the canoe up top. I usually try to keep my speed about 65mph with the canoe loaded. I have no problem loading the canoe as it only weighs about 60lbs.

View attachment 1515396

Pro tip as a guy that used to work at an outfitter in the BWCA and at the world's largest canoe and kayak shop, centering the canoe on the rack is better than centering it on the rig as you have it. The stern will hang off further, but just tie a red rag to the stern handle and center it on the rack.

I have roped thousands of boats on thousands of cars and I have never lost one.

Yours is probably OK since you have that NRS strap as a second belly strap, but the way you have it could lend itself to problems.

Pro tip as a guy that used to work at an outfitter in the BWCA and at the world's largest canoe and kayak shop, centering the canoe on the rack is better than centering it on the rig as you have it. The stern will hang off further, but just tie a red rag to the stern handle and center it on the rack.

I have roped thousands of boats on thousands of cars and I have never lost one.

Yours is probably OK since you have that NRS strap as a second belly strap, but the way you have it could lend itself to problems.
Thanks. Did you work for Piragis?

Trail Tailor aka @reevesci custom INTI clone roof rack with Meyers Sportspal canoe.

IMG_0587.JPG

Thanks. Did you work for Piragis?
No, I worked for Voyager North. They are about 4 times the business for outfitting and rental that Piragis does. Really, really good people that own it. They came up from Chicago in the early 80's after John did an Outward Bound trip and just made it happen. I worked for them during the summers from 1999-2000. The O'Kanes gave me one of the old fleet vans and told me to drive myself and my buddies down to Florida to paddle the Everglades where they put us up and dropped us off and picked us up. They also gave me that Bell in my pic as a reward for being such a good worker. I love them like family.

I worked for Rutabaga from 2000 until 2003.

Good little boat. Not cheap but a good boat.
They are good! Super stable, you can put a little motor on them and if I recall correctly, they are still pretty light. Not a great hull for paddling if you want to cover distance, but if you want to seriously fish, they are a great choice.

Not a canoe but kayak at 9000 ft in King's Canyon. On the factory roof rack you just need to make sure to secure all points correctly for wind while traveling. Sides and front and rear.

488A58BD-31E6-4682-AF8B-DCF2CBC19187.JPG

Not a canoe but kayak at 9000 ft in King's Canyon. On the factory roof rack you just need to make sure to secure all points correctly for wind while traveling. Sides and front and rear.

View attachment 1515764
So where does that get used at 9000ft?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom