Dearth Ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
July 8th was the completion of my 8th consecutive Death Ride in Markleeville, CA. 129 miles with 15,000 feet of elevation gain all at a base elevation of 5,500' with climbs into 9,000'. Next up on July 29th is the Santa Cruz Mountain Challenge with 135 miles and 13,200 feet of elevation gain, but this one begins at sea level. Been a roadie all my life. Anyone else have some epic rides you've mashed out this year?

July 8th was the completion of my 8th DEARTH RIDE when I rode to 7-11 and got an epic dog off the dog spinner and powered home with an extra pump of cheese and chili....

Next week i hope to make it to El Pollo Loco for an epic taco pastor or two with at least two laps to the salsa bar !

Last edited:
I wish we had those here in the Portland Area. Jealous.

wait.......Portland doesnt have 7-11's with the hot dogs spinnin on grills and the chili and cheese pumps??? Or have 7-11s in Portland jumped to vegan-salad bars? ;)

LOL, no I mean -"July 8th was the completion of my 8th consecutive Death Ride in Markleeville, CA. 129 miles with 15,000 feet of elevation gain all at a base elevation of 5,500' with climbs into 9,000'. Next up on July 29th is the Santa Cruz Mountain Challenge with 135 miles and 13,200 feet of elevation gain, but this one begins at sea level."

But yes, we do have the latter as well. Just a different type of cycling and cyclist for that matter:rofl:

Did the Death Ride back in the 90's through 2002. Nine times, including the years when they had to change routes, and added in a bonus sixth pass.

Stopped doing when we moved overseas, then when came back to the US I was sad to see that it had become too commercial. Spaces were being eaten up with those who had no desire to do the whole ride.

I also live up in the SC mountains, though don't get as many miles in these days...great rides here from our front door for sure. Epic rides now seem to be anything over 50 miles, LOL.

CycloSteve, The D.R. has become much more commercial, now offering 3,800 spots. To your point, there are those who sign up with the intention of only hitting a pass or two. Very cool you were able to hit it up in the earlier years. Living here in the Santa Cruz Mountains is great for climbing right out the front door. I'm up behind the Summit Store and am fortunate to be able to log about 12hrs of saddle time per week.

5 time victim here.

Been a few years though....

I think we need an IH8Mud DR team for 2018...who's in!? I have a place at Echo Summit to house up to 10 riders. Need some sort of goal to get motivated to do the DR again.

I'm training now for next year. Damn hot up here to enjoy getting in the open air, so I've been stuck riding the Spinning bike for the last week. 110 degrees yesterday! I keep my 5th wheeler in Markleeville June thru July for the D.R. Be cool to have an IH8Mud team for next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom