Flatlander’s 1974 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finding a reason to drive everyday. New tires are incredible. Pick up dry cleaning, sure!

Planning a trip to KS Rocks soon for some light wheeling :steer:

IMG_5818.JPG

Do you have anymore pics of the hardtop holder? Im wanting to build one for when i pull mine next week. Im scared it hasnt been off in 15 years...

@ccasteel made it and is letting me borrow. He may have better pics & specs. These are the best I have.

IMG_5886.JPG

IMG_5887.JPG

Oh man it looks good with 33's!!!

I was gonna wait till next summer because i just spent some cash on a spinny thing for my 42 haha. And new exhaust etc.

Ok now i gotta get the top off

Does your rear passenger quarter/fender have a slight bend in it? Or is it just an optical illusion? We share very close 74's and I think you saw the dent in my door/rocker... :) Love that you're driving it a lot!

Does your rear passenger quarter/fender have a slight bend in it? Or is it just an optical illusion? We share very close 74's and I think you saw the dent in my door/rocker... :) Love that you're driving it a lot!
It does have a slight bend. The PO said it was there when he bought it. The running board has some damage too. Probably a tire or trail damage.

Can you do me a favour and measure the distance from the top of your front tire to the lip on the fender.

Just curious.

I started building my hardtop holder similar to yours haha. Hope to have the top off fri. Nervous it hasnt been off in 15 years or more

@Varty Yo when I took mine off there were 10 bolts holding it on. The weatherstripping between the tub and top was missing too. I've really enjoyed driving with the top off or with the bikini top when it's warmer. BTW, the top holder/dolly has caster wheels on the bottom so it's easy to move around.

Picks of the clearance. Front and back.

IMG_5910.JPG

IMG_5907.JPG

IMG_5908.JPG

Last edited:
Great! Thanks for the pics. I will also have castors on the bottom. I plan to make something to hold the ambi doors also. See if i can get the doors in also.

I made a template from cardboard to trace teh curves on the bottom pieces. I know top corners are a bit diff but arc is still the same. Should have it mostly done tonight.

The parts im nervouse about is the top of windshield frame as the POx2 put a heavy caulking bead to seal it years and years ago. Thursday night i got 2 buddies to come help lift it off!

Hey Flatlander, Nice to see a 74 in Ks. My 74 FJ40 serial # is 179089. Maybe a cousin to yours. HA I see on your pics that when you put the bikini top on your taking the straps back like everyone does. I wrap the bikini top down and around back to the front, take the straps and secure them through a bolt hole on the top front edge of the windshield frame. This way the kids don't have a strap hitting their heads when riding in the back. It's basically a really cheap way to get a safari look. Just a thought. Jim

And it looks like I need a new front drag link end :(

IMG_5946.JPG

Daily driving and enjoying the cooler temps in KS...snuck out and installed the OEM weatherstripping on the rear hatch. Consider it done. Collecting parts for the hard top resto. ODO-137,727

IMG_6033.JPG

IMG_6034.JPG

IMG_6035.JPG

My daughter's birthday. Took the 40 for a night ride.

IMG_6039.JPG

IMG_6040.JPG

The one pic is interesting! I see a bottle jack as wheel chalk and a mysterious stream of oil under the front end haha. Im sure it was there before

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom