LOCAL Resources for Service, Parts, Tools, Supplies, Services Etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will have a 1991 FJ80 at my house being "parted" out for a week or two. I think it's blue or grey or something. Parts will be very cheap or free if you come pull them. If you want me to ship it'll cost you. IH8Shipping****. Located in Staunton, VA.

Things already spoken for include, but are not limited to:

-Engine, wiring, radiator
-front axle
-links,springs
-front doors
- rear hatch
- a driveshaft (dunno which one)
- front bumper
- maybe more
- Steering box

I received an email via the club's email address with the request below:

"I just moved to D.C. from Gainesville, Florida and am looking for a mechanic for my 1996 LX450. Do you or the club have recommended and trusted landcruiser mechanics around the D.C. area?"​

I responded with an email listing our preferred resources and I got this response:

"Thanks for the email. I was hoping I could find someone along a metro route to make dropping off and picking up the cruiser easier as I'm in downtown D.C."​

Any suggestions that I can pass on? I suggested he post his question on our Mud forum, so far haven't seen anything from him. I also suggested he join us at the next meeting.

New guy question. The paint on my fiberglass top of my 40 is peeling. Is this something you can just sand and repaint or do you need to put a layer of gel coat on? Is there a place that does it that someone can recommend. And, someone recommended rhino lining it but would think that is a pretty permanent decision and not sure how it would look although it certainly would make it scratch resistant. Appreciate your input and advice. Thanks

I would vote NO! On Rino lining the top. The top should be able to be repainted.

I and another wheeler had our 2F heads machined at:

Burtonsville Performance Machine Service
5210 Minnik Rd.
Laurel, MD
301/384-3595 Chuck

It was a few years back, but they did good work. DON'T forget to have your oil galley plug tapped for an allen head plug while they have the head. Like me.

Laurel is pretty close to me. I'm going to give em a try. I need to get a flywheel resurfaced.

I'm looking for a shop in the northern VA area to diagnose an A/C issues I've been having with my 88 FJ62. It blows cool-ish and the compressor and fan clutch seem to be engaging with the idle up functioning as it should. I'm hoping it just needs a recharge. It blew ice cold when I bought it in June of 2016 and this is the first sign of things not working as they should.

Thanks!

I will always recommend @OTRAMM, since he is our go to mechanic, especially for all things Toyota and Land Cruiser. I am not familiar with any local garages so I can't provide any input... How's that for helpful?
@Tikicruiser may have someone he can recommend in the local Arlington/DC area.

I'm looking for a shop in the northern VA area to diagnose an A/C issues I've been having with my 88 FJ62. It blows cool-ish and the compressor and fan clutch seem to be engaging with the idle up functioning as it should. I'm hoping it just needs a recharge. It blew ice cold when I bought it in June of 2016 and this is the first sign of things not working as they should.

Thanks!

I'll second that recommendation

Ryan Bascom is a top notch mechanic and super nice guy. It's worth the drive to there to not have someone molest your truck.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll have to try and find the time to drive down there on a weekday. I may just try to recharge it with one of those cheap bottle from the LPS in the meantime.

If you charge it with a cheap can make sure it doesn't have sealer in it. Sealer kills AC systems and the service equipment. Has yours been converted to R134a? Being an 88 there's a chance it's still R12.

Hey Ryan, the truck has been converted to R134a. I ended up passing on the cans at the local parts store because they all had sealers. I'll give you a call in the morning to chat. Thanks!

This might not be news to some of you but it was great news to me. I just had all 4 of my worn out Goodyear MTRs balanced for $21.99, only 5 bucks more if you want them to do your spare. They had to use 3 weights totaling 7 ounces on one rim but damn if my ride ain't smooth again. They also use impacts hard set to 60 lbs/ft then torque wrenches to spec. They even asked if I was running the steel wheels (never sold with the truck in the US) or alloys and had the right FSM specified torque specs for both. I was pretty impressed.

Edit: At Costco.

Last edited:
Where?

I always thought tire mounting and balancing machines would be good tools for the club to own. Tire Rack is great for prices but then tire shops charge you $30 per tire to mount and balance and it ends up being a wash.

Obviously we'd have to find them used for a good price and figure out where they'd sleep at night.

This might not be news to some of you but it was great news to me. I just had all 4 of my worn out Goodyear MTRs balanced for $21.99, only 5 bucks more if you want them to do your spare. They had to use 3 weights totaling 7 ounces on one rim but damn if my ride ain't smooth again. They also use impacts hard set to 60 lbs/ft then torque wrenches to spec. They even asked if I was running the steel wheels (never sold with the truck in the US) or alloys and had the right FSM specified torque specs for both. I was pretty impressed.

Edit: At Costco.
Ok, where pray tell is this wonderous place of which you speak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom