How accurate is your torque wrench? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lots of people lately had some issues with either the lug nuts or other studs on their suspension.
Torque wrenches are not all accurate and most of us don't go through the trouble to calibrate them as often as we should.

Got my famous HF torque wrench a few year back and never had any idea how accurate it is.
Decided to get a electronic torque adapter (reader) in order to have a better idea where my wrench is at and tried to calibrate it while at it.

What brand do you guys use?
What price range is a good for a DIYer, weekend mechanic?

I feel mine is good for what it is for now, but I am always open to other ideas.

I figured you can make it pretty accurate, but within a narrower range. The more you deviate from that range, the more inaccurate it will become.

You can get two of those cheap ones and calibrate one of them for a low torque range and the other for a higher torque range.

I think they are usually on sale, or you can use a coupon and get them for about $15 each, so lets say $30 for both.

I think Tekton would come close to the price of two of those HF. Currently it dropped from $37 to $33 on Amazon. It got good reviews, not sure how accurate it is though.

Really like my digital Gearwrench one. Easy to use. Set to what value you want. Beeps and lights up as you approach mark. Also tells you exact last pull. For instance set for 50 lbs but will tell you last pull was actually 50.1 lbs

i have a Proto, 3x Craftsman and PRC
both standard beam/click and a strain gauge digital type
i think the good ones are -+3% CW and CCW which i believe is a standard ASTM/ISO spec
there is no way i would trust my China wrench to any precision work regardless of spec printed in the manual. just not the build quality of the German or USA made
you should be able to get a decent torque wrench for ~$150

i have a Proto, 3x Craftsman and PRC
both standard beam/click and a strain gauge digital type
i think the good ones are -+3% CW and CCW which i believe is a standard ASTM/ISO spec
there is no way i would trust my China wrench to any precision work regardless of spec printed in the manual. just not the build quality of the German or USA made
you should be able to get a decent torque wrench for ~$150

That's too rich for my blood.

I can get two HF for about $50 out the door and calibrate them for high and low torque respectively.

That's too rich for my blood.

I can get two HF for about $50 out the door and calibrate them for high and low torque respectively.

you have the test equipment capable of testing and calibrating a torque wrench but choose to use two $25 wrenches, one for high and one for low torque?

For lugs and suspension stuff go with this (they have a few so make sure you get the model that fits your required torque range): Amazon.com: Precision Instruments PREC3FR250F Silver 1/2" Drive Split Beam Torque Wrench with Flex Head: Automotive

That style wrench is nearly the exact same as the Snap-On model and I am certain Precision makes them for Snap On.

You can also often find some nice German made torque wrenches on Ebay for a reasonable price. I have multiple Snap On digital torque wrenches that I use daily. They have worked well and are nice for me because I visibly read out the torque that I am pulling, this comes in handy in many ways. They also charge $50 for a calibration, which is reasonable.

Last edited:
I bought a few used Snap-On TorqOmeters on eBay, and paid the truck man to have them rebuilt & calibrated. <$100ea for Snap-Ons isn't bad. The inch-pound one was a screwdriver-type with a broken handle, and they replaced the handle when they rebuilt for no extra charge. It came back so clean, I thought they might have just sent me a new one.

My Jetco has been pretty reliable. But given the price :eek:

IMG_2631.JPG
IMG_2634.JPG
IMG_2677.JPG

I like my Tekton's, have in pounds and inches. Went with the Tek's after I sent my third Crapsman back and when I received the new one, it quit as well. Didn't bother sending it back. Gave it away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom