Builds Doc's 1978 FJ40 Rebuild (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great job! Love the color

Many Thanks. Doubt this color would be the right fit for a lot of vehicles but it sure seems to work on the 40, at least to our eyes!

Two words for today. . . Epoxy Primer.

IMG_4448.jpg

The tire carrier and windshield frame look like they are ready for the next step but I can see a few spots that need attention on the hood. There are a hundred little things that need addressed elsewhere but I am looking forward to the day the hood is installed -- the 40 will not feel whole until it's crown is fitted!

Have you detected any discernible difference in the paint color as a result of painting the parts at different times and under different weather conditions?

Have you detected any discernible difference in the paint color as a result of painting the parts at different times and under different weather conditions?

Honestly, I have not. To make it even more interesting I bought my first gallon (of paint) in October 2016 and picked up another gallon this spring. I used the new gallon on the bottom side of the tub but have been working from the original can for the exterior pieces. I realize it makes more sense to try and paint everything at once; in fact Ive gone that route on some of the past tractor projects. Being a one man show it would take all day to get the job done and with so many pieces/angles I would inevitably miss spots. It was/is much easier for me to work in stages and the overall quality is better in the end. Perhaps my brand/type of paint is saving me from an unintended two tone paint job, maybe I am tint color blind, or just lucky. I can say Ive stood and stared at the 40 for minutes at a time in both indoor and outdoor light and never noticed a difference between the pieces.

It was another lazy Sunday but I did manage to spray some build primer on the windshield frame, tire carrier, and small pieces.

IMG_4449.jpg

Sadly, hood could not hang out with its friends because I did not prep well enough.

IMG_4450.jpg

Getting excited to see end results makes it easy to rush and overlook little details. I had missed a few spots around the louvers when sanding and found several larger pinholes/dimpled from rust areas that will benefit from a quick dash of filler.
This week should involve a lot of sanding and a respray of epoxy primer on the hood. Optimistically we could be spraying some color by the weekend. . . hopefully the same shade of blue as everything else!

@TractorDoc man you are moving right along. I painted some small pieces base plus clear and yes, it is very easy to miss things. Been there as well. Looking great BTW

It is one of the benefits of not using metalic paint, with metalic you would have seen a difference in color shade.
When you sand and buff the imperfections are taken out. The Color looks the same from all angles on all parts.

Nice job so far doc.

For inquiring minds that want to know, progress on the barn has been slow but steady. A two man crew (Jacob and David) have new doors installed, posts for the addition in place, and a good portion of siding on.

IMG_4464.jpg

Barn productivity has slowed recently though as I received a call to say that Jacob had been kicked by a horse and would be taking it easy for awhile. As an owner of a small business I have heard a lot of excuses as to why someone could not make it in. . . this is a new one but Im pretty sure he is telling truth :).

Sanding and filling have taken up most of my free time couple days. I imagine there is a fine line between me being satisfied with how things look and insanity; luckily I arrived at the former and moved on to spray another coat of epoxy on the hood today.

IMG_4462.jpg

The hood looks good enough to move onto a filler primer later in the week. I spent more time smoothing out the underside than I did the top. I know the bottom of the hood will rarely be seen but I cannot have it looking like an afterthought when it is propped open.

Last month dad sold a bobcat/skidsteer rock picker attachment on craigslist to a local guy. Turns out the buyer owns a muffler shop in town and I stopped by today to drop off my down pipe to see if they would be willing to bend up a replacement. The employee behind the desk said they might be able to get to it next week which was fine by me. The owner must really be enjoying his rock picker though as he called me later in the afternoon to say the new pipe was ready and upgraded it to stainless. I picked up a stainless imitation magna-flow muffler, clamp and hanger while I was there.

IMG_4461.jpg

I need to weld the flange and hanger to the down pipe once I know for sure their set positions. I plan on clamping the muffler to the end of the pipe -- that should be enough to get me on the road so I can drive to the shop and let them properly bend/install over the rear axle. I went with a "medium" tone muffler for exhaust noise. . . I like a little rumble from the exhaust but also want to hear what my passenger is saying should they ever want to talk to me.

Intentions were to paint some blue on Saturday and was about to until I realized seam sealer needed applied to areas from which it had been scratched out on the hood and windshield frame.
After sealing I turned my attention to the heater blower motor. I thought it a good idea to have the engine bay complete before covering it with the hood. Pulled everything apart on the old motor and swapped out my old, cracked bottom piece for another I picked up awhile back. One coffee can sized component sure does have a lot of pieces. . .

IMG_4467.jpg

The little rubber hose is cracked and was broken from the electric motor. Hoping I can find a way to mend or replace the hose. . . have not found those on CityRacerLLC.com :(.

Moved onto some paint today. I knew I was gambling a bit with the weather yet again. I was able to spray my sealer but just as I was starting the blue scattered showers moved in. I was able to get the underside of the hood done but not much more. If the finish looks good enough I will mask the bottom off before painting the top. A little annoyed that I will need to rescruff the sealer coat before color but its part of the fun when working in the great outdoors.

IMG_4465.jpg

Spent a lot of time sanding/smoothing this week. I am sooo glad the doors and hardtop do not have louvers on them!

There were several days with beautiful painting weather this week. . . but sadly no free time to take advantage of it.
I took advantage of what time I did have to reassemble the heater blower unit.

IMG_4469.jpg

Being careful not to cover the slightly tacky paint with fingerprints I proceeded with the installation of the blower on the firewall. I also painted and installed the rest of the air intake thanks to the new hose available from CityRacerLLC.com. A photo or the more or less complete engine bay:

IMG_4472.jpg

I still need to source up a set of horns, install the hood cushions on the aprons, and perhaps a couple decals. If only it could stay that clean forever!

Weather cooperating I will be painting some blue this weekend. The grass is cut, visited the grocery store today, and its supposed to be my weekend off. We will see if the stars align and allow the paint to spray. Wish me luck!

Here's wishing you luck Doc!

If the stars don't align this weekend you can always wait for the eclipse in another week. :rolleyes:

Time is always the hardest thing to aquire

I swear it (time) has sped up as Ive gotten older. Either that or Im just not as productive as I think I used to be. :hmm:

you can always wait for the eclipse in another week

Ah, yes. I could probably give it a go as we are not in the path of complete totality. Perhaps it would be good luck to paint by the light of the sun and the moon :moon:. . . the gravitational pull of combined celestial bodies could draw bugs and airborne debris away from the painted surfaces!

I swear it (time) has sped up as Ive gotten older. Either that or Im just not as productive as I think I used to be. :hmm:

Ah, yes. I could probably give it a go as we are not in the path of complete totality. Perhaps it would be good luck to paint by the light of the sun and the moon :moon:. . . the gravitational pull of combined celestial bodies could draw bugs and airborne debris away from the painted surfaces!
Time is always the issue, hence my sig name.
Just remember to enjoy the journy as the destination is the end point of it.
i always like the new things, life has tought me destinations get old fast, journy's never.

Hmmm, I guess turning 50 changes a mans perspective on life.:hmm:

Last edited:
Amazing Dave, that Blue is just plain magic!!!!

Just remember to enjoy the journy as the destination is the end point of it.
i always like the new things, life has tought me destinations get old fast, journy's never.

Yep Michael, the 40 was definitely something new and I was not sure what I was getting into when I drove it into the shop. I have enjoyed the journey on this and past projects -- constantly learning new things and seeing what I am capable of. The "destination" is always nice to achieve but some of mine spend too much time in the barn collecting dust. I thought the 40 would get me moving a little faster than a tractor and get me to town and back before dark. Hopefully Ive tightened my bolts and greased my bearings well enough to compensate for the extra miles per hour.

Amazing Dave, that Blue is just plain magic!!!!

Thanks Tom. Not sure if the blue is magic but so far the paint gives the illusion that I know what I am doing. Other color options that I had considered before even acquiring a 40 were a mint/seafoam green, lime green (bad idea in hindsight), Dukes of Hazzard Orange, or any other color that you could see coming from a distance. I do believe blue was the best choice :).

The weather cooperated today and I was able to get the "big three" painted, with associated small parts of course.

IMG_4475.jpg

The chunk of metal that is wired to the front of my plant stand is there to counter balance the tire carrier on the other side. The two by four under the windshield frame allowed me to get the paint evenly around the weatherstrip recess.

When I paint the doors I will hang them vertically. The hood best sat horizontally even though that allowed a few more dust specks to settle on it. We will be sanding out a little orange peel anyway; should minimize the dust too.

IMG_4476.jpg

Painting was all I accomplished on the 40 today. A couple more detail shots to fill up my allotted picture posting.
Tire carrier hinge supports:

IMG_4479.jpg

Hood hinge with a touch of tire carrier.

IMG_4477.jpg

After the photo shoot all the parts and pieces were rolled into the shop for safe keeping.

IMG_4480.jpg

Did not want to risk stirring up any further paint contamination so I closed the doors and called it a day. . . at this address anyway. Still plenty to do at home; other journeys with different destinations waiting. ;)

It is not about speed, but how fast you get used to things.
I started to look at destinations as an excuse to start a new journy.
This of corse conflicts with my wife, she doesn't like change.:idea::princess::ban:
This is why I like the to take the side roads:cool:

This of corse conflicts with my wife, she doesn't like change.:idea::princess::ban:
This is why I like the to take the side road

Mrs. TractorDoc must be related to Mrs. Waiting for Time then because we do not always see eye to eye about the number and nature of projects I take on. We get along good enough and I doubt another person could handle what we throw at each other. . . she puts up with my gearheaded outdoorsiness and I am understanding of her fashion loving veganist ways.
While waiting for paint to dry I did drag her with me down the side road this weekend for a quick bike ride and hike thru the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. We walked thru the ledges area of the park -- first time I had been there and of course had to take a couple pictures.
View from the trail. . .

IMG_4484.jpg

View of the "Grand Staircase" that takes you from above to down below (or vice versa):

IMG_4492.jpg

After a full day at work yesterday I devoted a little time today to sanding/compounding the windshield frame.

IMG_4496.jpg

I need to get a new windshield cut due to some cracks in the previously installed piece. There are a couple local places in town that should be able to handle the job -- Ill take the original glass and maybe even the complete frame to see if they can install at the same time. If not I will have to recruit some help and use the string in the weatherstrip approach.

I only corrected the exterior face as the orange peel was not too severe this time.

IMG_4497.jpg

Next up will be the hood. That should be the piece that will make or break me due to the large, flat surface area right below the eyes. I still feel a touch of hesitation before rubbing an abrasive all over my freshly painted parts, but the process is getting easier. Lets hope for smooth sailing (or should I say smooth sanding) tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom