What to Harvest from a 1999 5.3 Vortec (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,

Long time lurker but first post....

I recently purchased a 1970 FJ40 that had a 350 conversion and have since sold the engine and tranny with the intent to replace it with a 5.3 fuel injected engine and a 4L60E transmission.

I now have a donor truck (1999 Silverado 4x4 with auto tranny that was rolled in an accident) that came in at the right price (free). The engine and tranny seemed to have survived the accident unscathed.

I've always done most of my own car repairs but this is the first time I'll be sticking an engine in from another make of vehicle. Aside from the transmission/engine what else should I harvest from the truck to make this install easier? Wiring harness, ignition, etc....

Thanks in advance and I'll try to give back as I learn from each of you.

ECM and the entire engine and tranny wiring harness including the O2 sensors. All the engine accessories. And as much of the smog equipment - evap canister, etc. - as you want to use. Since it's from 1970, no smog rules. If your lucky, the headers will work.

Everything. Seriously, don't scrap the rollover until your conversion is 100% done. The small parts will nickle and dime you to death on a swap.

Dyno

Excellent choice. Like others have said, keep everything until you're done. The stock truck manifolds (or replacement headers) won't work. You'll need LS-series OEM Corvette exhaust manifolds or block hugger headers. The LM7 truck oil pan is way too deep for wheelin' and needs to be replaced with the Camaro/Firebird pan, or modified (see pic).

LSX Innovations makes an adapter to allow you to use your early SBC mounts to the LS mounts making it a pretty easy installation.

This pic shows how tight things are. You can just see the LSX adapter plate under the #2 header tube. If your current SBC has the AA engine mounts then the cost of the LSX plates, at about $30, is cheap.

20170408_130841.jpg
20170519_190817.jpg

Starter is not installed above.

Do the LS engines have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the older 350's?

Yes, but they don't use all of the same bolt holes. IIRC, it's the upper left location that's not drilled because of an oil passage in the block.

FYI, if you use the 4L60e automatic transmission, they use different torque converters depending on whether the case is a one-piece or two-piece case.

Reactions: SMG
I've got two Vortecs (one in a 40 and one in a 45) mated to toyota 4 speeds so I had to go outside for the ecu's and harness.

You will need block hugging headers

You will have to adapt the intake

Wrap your fuel lines in the back of the engine in plastic they can rub and get pin holes in them (I"m surprise I didn't lose the 40 to a fire - pressurized fuel spraying onto the hot headers)

You'll need some motor mounts and a rear support (you can make them, but it's easy and relative inexpensive to order them)

I didn't read all the replies so if this is a repeat, sorry.

Very good info above, plus:
(1) If the donor wiring harness is the two piece (plugs into itself at the fire wall) it will be very difficult to use. If so, might consider an aftermarket one-piece harness.
(2) Block Hugger Headers is probably a good choice, BUT most stick out from the side of the engine 4" to 6", if you choose "Sanderson" ultra block huggers, they only stick out about 3" and will clear your steering gear box.
(3) With the 5.3 throttle body at the front of the engine, you may need my 40" long (length adjustable) throttle cable, it attaches to your stock gas pedal.

Great info from all of you; appreciate the pictures as well. I will definitely keep the donor truck until conversion is complete...

Downey, where do I purchase the 40" throttle cable and the "Sanderson" ultra block huggers?

You purchase the cable from me ($32.95 plus $5.95 postage), and you google Sanderson Headers for their website- - -easy deal.

I'd consider using the transfer case and a centered rear end rather than an adapter. There are enough options now you could likely find a rear axle with discs at the same time.

More good info. Is there a build-up thread with a similar engine/tranny setup? Anyone written a book on doing these conversions by chance? I've tried the search function without luck.

I'd start with reading up on V* conversions. From there look at threads on mud.

If you keep the Transfer and all sensors you'll have fewer conversion headaches... just custom shafts which you'll need anyway.

There is a downey off road link somewhere here on mud where JohnnyC posted up the downey v8 installation instruction manual.

If you can, carefully document the process here on mud. It'll be a great value to others following the same path in the future. I've done so on other topics and I know of some it has helped and I'd like to think others have also benefited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom