Bj70 redux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Small problem showed up when a two handed hammer blow hit sheet metal instead of a shackle pin; oops. Busted a hole that exposed yet another area of extensive rust covered in dondo. This has to be fixed pre safety.

image.jpg

image.jpg
Good news bad news. Guy gave away my old bj60, hope it didn't go to crusher fml. On way to bad news got a call from TLC. Mr. J. A. Pan delivered 4th wheel on the same day tyres showed up. Brought them home to mount on the bj by hand. 235x75x16. One balance need 6 ozs.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I like the way it looks love the way they roll n steer. Tyres are always a compromise These are narrow with goodly void to lug ratio. Rubber gets v decent winter traction ice and snow but they need to warm up. Hope fully even without a turbo the 3b can spin them

The little rust hole after cutting away rust. Ready to start patching after I buy sheet metal

image.jpg

Spent the afternoon grinding and scraping out tar and bondo. Then cut away as much rust as possible. Left a big hole. Inner tub is punched same with lower end of fender. Off to buy 20+18gauge sheet metal.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Started welding in metal instead of cutting it out. Put several support pieces in then caulked it after the rust stabilizer was put on. Closed in outer fender with a patch and gave the interior shot of paint

Couldn't finish but at least progress was made. Shot paint on because it will sit for a week and rain is forecast. Just need to cut away surplus and do lip. So far into this repair job for under $10

image.jpg

image.jpg

Left rear q panel all rusted to crap. Again one lil hole turns in 16 hrs. of work. Took out all rust as far as I could go without replacing inner and outer fender plus inner n outer w wells. About 7 patches. Need only to grv. Guard. Total cost under 20$ dollars.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Need to get safety done on Monday. Went through everything I could think of. Double checked lights etc. turned on front wiper and sprayer. Perfect. Rear wiper moved 4 inches and quit Aaaaahhh. started to sort it out checked fuse and it was blown,strange. Replaced blown 20 with a 15 incase it blows again and as soon as I turned switch to on the 15 went instantly. Where to begin? I just put rear card back on with new clips etc. started at rear door undid wiring harness put new 20amp in energized loom. Perfect. Short had to be in motor harness. Pulled motor out visible black discolouring but after cleaning no obvious evidence of arcing/burning hmmmm. Re insulated wires and relaxed them tested perfect on the bench. Reinstalled motor and it works. Painted arm which came off too easily but paint is perfect so must have been off pre paint. Sanded and painted arm it looks like new

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got temp ins. Drove to park to walk the dog. Wanted pic of her sitting on the bumper. Chloe misunderstood and lept onto bumper then hood. Sheesh lucky hood survived with only a few scratches buckled terribly when she was standing. Put50$into fuel tank only registers as 3/4 full? Will try and add more tmw.

Big day. At last went down for safety inspection. Chris the tech had previewed the truck and marked down deficiencies. 2 tyres 4 shocks etc. but rust hole was the issue. After second go round truck passed with flying colours now next step is plates. Went to master 12v showed him the truck. Deal is sat radio blu tooth USB installed in my face plate with a converter and wiring in 12v outlet I put in f plate. 500+tx.

Big day. At last went down for safety inspection. Chris the tech had previewed the truck and marked down deficiencies. 2 tyres 4 shocks etc. but rust hole was the issue. After second go round truck passed with flying colours now next step is plates. Went to master 12v showed him the truck. Deal is sat radio blu tooth USB installed in my face plate with a converter and wiring in 12v outlet I put in f plate. 500+tx.
Went down to ins agent With fresh safety, hoping this part was a done deal. Nope. Ian faxed the authorization form in sideways. Try again. At this point I've talked to this woman enough to ask her out, we r like friends lol. Got refax of form signed Bo's etc. back again in afternoon. Fack no TOD.my new BFF got a record of it and just like that good to go! New plate ok HSP 622 feels great to put this phase behind

image.jpg

Went for a couple of short rides. Embarrassing how people compliment on the look of the truck esp. when Chloe hanging out.an she loves Ian's truck. Hugest dog windows ever!washed chassis again can't figure out what this black tar stuff is in the engine bay. It's on hoses and everything. Can't touch anything without getting filthy. Started detailing engine. Looks way better now

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fell into a pair of gear sets. 4:11s. Bonus 300$. Then figured save doing job twice may as well add ARB air locker. Ian is going to have a sick truck for a kid. Posted thread re above and got some response but need specific info. Tire choice bit small for some but good combo with 4:11.

Found out what tar crap is. 30 years of diesel blow back leaked oil and road dust. Scraped 5 lbs of it off of frame rales and transmission. Put new ground wire on as po f up battery placement. What a greasy mess it weeps oil like the f ing tar sands every time engine gets warm. Which it doesn't seem to. Bet thermostat is stuck open or is a 160-170 instead of 190f

Took the bj to get worms. Crashing oil pressure on hiway. Fuel gauge shows 3/4 when tank is full to overflow. Temp solid. Goes 100 on hiway @2200rpm. in 5 th. Took it "off road"in a parking lot. Drove over berms of gravel and dirt the truck climbs like a goat

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted re oil pres failure concencus is bad gauge no big deal. There is no time before next weeks camping excursion to do gear swap and no ARB lockers on hand for the build anyway. Still no stereo and that's getting old.
Super happy with the tyre set up. Steer n stops well and great traction in loose stuff. Booked oil fuel filter changes and check up for oil leak. Hardly wait to see Ian behind the wheel. Trip into Ontario exploring then up towards Tooth lake for some bass fishing. Also have to go to warner.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bugs galore. Seems like everything needs attention. I swear po had a welder but no drills. Discovered belly pan has 1 corner welded to frame. Put penetrating oil on the others need to remove pans to finish cleaning off 30 yrs of accumulated diesel blow by and 449000km worth of road dust. Poor maintenance didn't help. Will remove all skid pans and fix and bolster them 1 by1. Frame is in v good shape under the tarry grit no rust

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom