Greater Boston area owners thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi everyone. I'm Alan. New to Boston and looking for people to go wheeling with. Brother is driving my 2007 FJ up here by September 15th. Hope I can meet some of y'all.

Welcome Alan. Getting a lot of people together is a bit like herding cats, but I'm sure you will find some willing wheelers. New England is awesome in the Fall.

Newton actually. See a few out here (LXs mainly), but imagine they're less common in Boston proper -- not exactly a small parking footprint!
Where in Newton are you? I'm in the Highlands and drive through Newton Center almost daily to and from work. Any mods on your LC/LX?

What up everyone? I am Erik from Bellingham. Just traded my 88 Toyota Crawler for a 1997 Lexus LX450 that will be used for winter driving and some light wheeling. I am a member of NTC and have wheeled with some of you guys. Jason from Granby has my crawler.
OLD RIG
image_zps4gtwkgkn.jpg

NEW LX
full

Where in Newton are you? I'm in the Highlands and drive through Newton Center almost daily to and from work. Any mods on your LC/LX?

Newton Corner. I drive through Newton Center almost daily as well. Lovely town, but not much opportunity to flex the off-road muscles on these cruisers.

My changes so far have been on a bang-for-buck basis:
- Swapped in five 285/65R18 BF Goodrich KO2s (to replace the OEM-sized Bridgestone Duellers). They perform superbly in deep snow, on ice, across loose dirt/gravel. ~$1400
- Changed fog lamps to yellow bulbs -- really increases visibility in snow/rain/fog. ~$40

(Not including deferred maintenance from first owner that I've caught up with.)

Fall plans include:
- DIY fabrication of skid plates, slider steps, etc.
- rust remediation and RUST BULLET application -- to keep my rig from the clammy grips of Big Road Salt

Newton Corner. I drive through Newton Center almost daily as well. Lovely town, but not much opportunity to flex the off-road muscles on these cruisers.

My changes so far have been on a bang-for-buck basis:
- Swapped in five 285/65R18 BF Goodrich KO2s (to replace the OEM-sized Bridgestone Duellers). They perform superbly in deep snow, on ice, across loose dirt/gravel. ~$1400
- Changed fog lamps to yellow bulbs -- really increases visibility in snow/rain/fog. ~$40

(Not including deferred maintenance from first owner that I've caught up with.)

Fall plans include:
- DIY fabrication of skid plates, slider steps, etc.
- rust remediation and RUST BULLET application -- to keep my rig from the clammy grips of Big Road Salt
I did those two mods, too. I'm rolling on BFG KO2's in 285/70/17 and also went with yellow fog lights. Like you, I am extremely happy with the BFG's. This is my second set and I'm likely to stick with them.

I'd love to know more about the Rust Bullet application. It wouldn't be so much for my current rig seeing as how I've got an (un)healthy amount of surface rust all over and under, but perhaps for future vehicles.

Hey all! Just wanted to toss in my 2 cents on the whole "Dune Bashing" idea. Just so you understand, the actual driving in the dunes is highly frowned upon and come with heavy fines. You might even get you arrested in some of the towns. Most permits are usually seasonal and only allow wheeling on beach fronts typically. You buy them and can go pretty much anytime. They do inspect your vehicle to make sure you have certain equipment. There are marked roads that cut over dunes, but access to those is limited. You need to check with the stations before using them. Yes, they close down parts of the beaches for the birds and weather that includes high tides. I frequent Sandy Neck at all times of the year. Its a lot of fun, but I don't really consider it a huge "wheeling challenge".

Second week of September the Toyota dealer in Burlington MA is having a grand opening of their new building. theyre hoping to get cars from each year of Toyota represented. I'll kick in a reminder when it gets closer

@40Flipper - that sounds like something I could get onboard with. I heard Wellesley Toyota used to host a regular meet, any reason that stopped happening? Sounds like it was before my time as a LC owner (~3 yrs ago or more).

Hey guys, I'm in Newton, restoring my 1977 FJ40. I agree with @Adrigan everytime I start one project, I uncover something else that was broken or botched from the previous owner. My truck came from NC on a trailer in boxes. Starting to wonder whether I have bitten off more than I can chew. I'm about to fix the failed power steering conversion from the previous owner, with a saginaw, I'm going to need a mobile welder if anyone has any recommendations.

FJ40.jpg

Just discovered this group/thread. I'm in Quincy, but work in Newton. I'm always around in my 60, it's my daily. I've run into a few owners here and there, not sure if any of them are on here.
29439082278_f849d241da_b.jpg

Second week of September the Toyota dealer in Burlington MA is having a grand opening of their new building. theyre hoping to get cars from each year of Toyota represented. I'll kick in a reminder when it gets closer
Any update on this?

Just discovered this group/thread. I'm in Quincy, but work in Newton. I'm always around in my 60, it's my daily. I've run into a few owners here and there, not sure if any of them are on here.
29439082278_f849d241da_b.jpg
Hay I saw a beige 60 at a mechanic I use occasionally in needham like a months ago. Yours ? Love the FD too btw

Looks great man ! I’m in needham. There’s a few of us around
Hey guys, I'm in Newton, restoring my 1977 FJ40. I agree with @Adrigan everytime I start one project, I uncover something else that was broken or botched from the previous owner. My truck came from NC on a trailer in boxes. Starting to wonder whether I have bitten off more than I can chew. I'm about to fix the failed power steering conversion from the previous owner, with a saginaw, I'm going to need a mobile welder if anyone has any recommendations.

View attachment 1712378

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom