Annual Ouray camping trip Aug 2 - 6th, 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any ideas on trails for this year? I think I would like to try Cinnamon on the TW (I am sure I can do Yankee boy and maybe even the wall) Can we do Ophir and or Last dollar for Stacey? Is anyone willing to take Stacey on an introductory trail to cut her teeth before we start bashing the Tacoma?

Why don't we go wheeling locally, maybe in the Puerco and get Stacey familiar with this hobby? There is no reason to bash her Taco so don't implant that type of thinking into her head! Have her purchase a recovery kit, first aid kit (for humans+dogs), air comp as well as a fire extinguisher and these things can stay in the vehicle full time. I think she has ample under rear seat storage.

yeah.. bashing not the word to use..

call and left a message, I am hoping to be able to do this trip.

just talk to Jill, she said I got the last tent spot, #15. she is going to try to move me closer to you guys. not too sure about that one, right next to the trash

I've got #2 for 2,3,4th and then in the lawn by the office on the 5th. Same thing they will try and move me closer if possible.

That's good news Steve and Bruce. Unfortunately, I can't edit my posts anymore.

Ouray News.... Stace and I did a flyby through Ouray on our Gunnison/Crested Butte/Montrose trip. 4J was dead quiet and empty as of the 15th.
The hot springs are getting a face lift!
Home - Ouray Hot Springs (see webcam)

1269172-3d9f41ff20db4a9ca3b900e7d65eed7f.jpg

Still lots of snow of course, Black Bear had snow up to the road.
1269208-e66cf8b61a82b27876650cf34cd0efda.jpg
1269207-abaca33817666ba90d77932893e9c419.jpg
My Uber awesome Babe and her new truck! Truck performed stellar, no surprises there.
Runnoff was very strong everywhere, rivers were fast and muddy. Oddly, Ridgway Reservoir was very low however.
Thinking about going up a day early and camping at Molas Pass and Lake
1269223-1c31c32bd0e0073970669a6a72b86bcf.jpg
Black Canyon outside of Montrose (one hour from Ouray)-- 2,700ft deep and 40 yards wide at narrowest point- super twisty, steep, narrow decent to the river and campgrounds below.
1269234-cc56d713643e20225ecc8f6813dde6db.jpg
Planning on doing a mountain bike ride through Ironton Park Nordic Trails at some point if anyone wants to join.

hot-pool-overlay.png

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

Nice the new hot springs is opening this weekend

Any thoughts on trails yet?

I've got some ideas for trails, in no particular order: Hurricane pass, Stony pass, Tin Cup pass, Black Bear pass just to name a few. We'll adjust based on weather, people's comfort margin, etc.

Also, I'm planning on taking vacation for the week of 7/31 and adding the Rimrock trail before arriving at Ouray on 8/2. If you want to join me, let me know but I know that this is last min for taking time off for vacation. We're taking our MTBs so there'll be opportunities to ride on the Rimrock trail.

Here's the tentative plan:

7/31 - ABQ to Moab, start Rimrock or camp at the trailhead. Depart ABQ around 3pm
8/1 - Rimrock
8/2 - Rimrock, arrive in Montrose, supply up, air up and head to Ouray
82-8/6 - Ouray

More info here: Rimrocker trail - future club run once it cools down a tad

I'll be taking the 4Runner + Kamparoo on this trip.

Last edited:
Where do I purchase a recovery kit? Are there any other pieces / parts I should have with us? I don't have a ham radio, just a CB.

We usually have extra BaeFong radios that people can borrow. CB radios....so 70's..... :)

I am about 80% chance I'll be coming with the kiddos, but still haven't booked a site yet. Hoping to confirm this week, then I'll try and book a site at either the campground, or try for the Amphitheater CG near town.

I am about 80% chance I'll be coming with the kiddos, but still haven't booked a site yet. Hoping to confirm this week, then I'll try and book a site at either the campground, or try for the Amphitheater CG near town.

I'm sure the local hotels has vacancies since that's where you'll end up anyway :flipoff2:

I hoping I can still make this, house going up for sale, so only a small window of good weather to get stuff done and girlfriend has some important people coming to visit the first weekend of Aug

Has anyone heard of "Sidney Pass" or Sydney in the Ouray area?

Last edited:
Just recently heard of Sydney Pass, it sounds and looks beautiful! We should definitely make that a run for one of the days.

I hope you can make it Bruce, we really need to have more then one GX there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom