What do real land cruiser owners think of the FJC? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
backcountryadventuretime.com
Opinions wanted:
FJC

1. worthy to be considered a land cruiser?

2. glorified 4 runner with weird styling and strange angles?

Discuss:

:popcorn:

I think after they got rid of the solid front axle in cruisers it pretty much made them all somewhat equal and could be splitting hairs to find differences.

I think Toyota didn't give it land cruiser badging to protect the high end luxury SUV reputation it has now become in the us

Some brands like Range Rover I beleive have hurt themselves and diluted their brands by letting lesser/more affordable models carry the badge. Probably minimal

1. Worthy? Maybe; should it be? No.

2. Yeah, pretty much.

1. No. Although the FJC is well built I don't consider it a LC. But I'll tell you what, after owning a few 80s and now a 100 I personally enjoy driving the FJC and using it as a hunting vehicle way more for many reasons.

2. Sure. Last year I considered trading my FJC for a 4R TRD and even test drove. They felt exactly the same to me and didn't go for it because I already have a 4 door car. Bye the way, I don't consider my FJC a true 4 door family car and like it that way.

I have sold three 80s, considering selling my 100, my FJC never. Not because of resale value or anything like that, I just love it. That it is a Toyota is good enough for me.

Last edited:
1) No, I wouldn't classify it as an LC, but you can't ignore the lineage. The museum in SLC has these two lined up together for a reason.
2) In true Toyota manufacturing fashion, it shares a lot of engineering with previous/existing platforms. And following trucks evolved from it.
IMG_1706.JPG
IMG_1707.JPG
IMG_3257.JPG
IMG_3260.JPG
IMG_3261.JPG

1) No, I wouldn't classify it as an LC, but you can't ignore the lineage. The museum in SLC has these two lined up together for a reason.
2) In true Toyota manufacturing fashion, it shares a lot of engineering with previous/existing platforms. And following trucks evolved from it.
View attachment 1500571 View attachment 1500572 View attachment 1500573 View attachment 1500574 View attachment 1500575

WHY WAS THIS PX10 NEVER OFFEREIN IN THE US!:frown:

THAT THING IS LIKE PERFECT!

at least almost as perfect the FJC.

It's not a Land Cruiser...not even close. FJC is a nice SUV, but LC it is not. Totally unrelated, but was watching a Nat Geo African safari show yesterday and all the trucks in the bush were the 79 series LC...so cool! It's irritating to no end that those aren't available to us. I'll stick with the 80 until another solid front axle Toyota is available...might be forever

It's not a Land Cruiser...not even close. FJC is a nice SUV, but LC it is not. Totally unrelated.

The FJC is based on the Prado 120 platform, so it kinda sorta is related.

Personally, I've always felt the FJ Cruiser was closer to being the spiritual successor to the early 70 Series Prado than the 40 Series.

Only time will really tell... Each new model from the 80 (original grocery getter), to the 100 to the 200 have been mocked by those that came before but over time each has shown itself to be a reliable platform, flexible enough for us to take to the next level.

The J120 platform has seen several body styles ( LC Parado, 4runner, FJC, GX470) each appealing to a segment of Toyota's market. IMHO LC is not so much a body style or defined by a front axle but rather a starting platform that guys like us on Mud can build to create a truck that meets our idea off-roading. Look around here and you'll find guys who have taken the J120 platform over Rubicon along side 40, 80, ... to all meet up at Rubithon. You'll also find the platform built for self-sufficient overland travel across endless desert or just left them stock to enjoy the beach or local moderate 4x4 trails.

Is the FJC an LC... don't really care. I care that we enjoy our truck, understand it strengths and weaknesses and carry on the spirit of Toyota off-roading.

But what the hell do i know :)

I was not a fan of the FJC but they have grown on me somewhat but only the solid color ones. Not a fan of the faux white roof top look.

Just wondering... how many of you that commented on this post 1.) Own both, an FJC and a TLC?

It appears that only a couple of the commenters seem to mention thier ownership of both.

I currently own a FJ62 and a FJC. I have a use for both and both are great off road. The FJC will out perform my FJ62 any day of the week. That is due to the new technology that it has in it. Solid axle argument or not the articulation is just about the same. And for a glorified 4Runner? Maybe but I've also owned one of those and it took me anywhere I needed to go. The fact is it's a Toyota. It's tough as nails and if taken care of correctly these FJC will be just a big of collecor as their predecessors are.

Just wondering... how many of you that commented on this post 1.) Own both, an FJC and a TLC?

See my signature file. I didn't specifically mention it, because I thought it was self-evident.

@1911 sig line stuff doesn't usually show up in mobile format unless you rotate phone to landscape mode. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here, and assuming he's not just stirring the pot.

@1911 sig line stuff doesn't usually show up in mobile format unless you rotate phone to landscape mode. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here, and assuming he's not just stirring the pot.

Good to know, thanks Rick. I never read Mud on my phone (though I used to read the blue forum on my phone, so I should have remembered that).

I think someone at Toyota considers to worthy, otherwise they wouldn't have given in that name and used certain styling choices that honor the FJ40. It's a more practical choice for the average American than the enormous wagon that the LC has become.

Do I like it? Dunno, haven't driven one. Not a fan of the sheet metal though.

Do I like it? Dunno, haven't driven one. Not a fan of the sheet metal though.

Surprisingly fun to drive, better turning radius than a Camry and a pretty smooth ride over the rocks - right off the dealership lot.

Not stirring the pot at all, just a valid question. A lot of subject experts on this internet thing and most of them don't have a dog in the hunt. Did not notice your "sig" line,my bad.

Drove one once. Excellent brakes. Very good power. Not a Land Cruiser. You'd have to have crappy brakes and terrible power to weight ratio for that.

Not a fan of the view out the back.

It's a decent SUV, but to me a 4Runner is a more practical choice. Even a Tacoma is a more practical choice.

Could be had with a manual trans though, so that's a huge plus.

And the white roof is great.

To me as an outsider, it's a styling exercise on a 4Runner. That's fine as far as it goes. But a 4Runner has more room, same drive train, and good vis out the back. Why would anyone buy an FJCruiser over an equivalent 4Runner? There might be a reason, but I don't see it.

One other thing. I have seen a bunch of former FJC guys graduate to 80 series Land Cruisers, so maybe it's a gateway drug into the collective. That's cool with me too.

Anyway, not a hater at all. FJCs have their place. Just too cute for me. If you like yours, that's awesome. We're all in this game for the same reasons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom