Turbo 3b overheating in the mountains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rhah

Admit it, your cruisers jealous
Threads
As the title says the turbo 3b is trying to completely melt down on us.

Rad was redone by rad shop before swap 2k ago

Electric fans
X2 pushers, 1 puller

New thermostat and rad cap this am

Egt temps between 8-10k on the mountains
Boost 10lbs and under.

Speeds about 25-35 mph
Rpm 2200-2700
5 speed tranny and 33x10.5 stock gears

No visable bubbles in rad after we reach normal operating temp

Showed up early for the fjsummit to make sure all was well since it's not the flat plains of ks and we didn't have any troubles on the 900 mile drive till monarch pass, first big climb for it

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

You're just working it hard man, they heat up in the hills. How hot did it get exactly?

Never hit the red but she wanted to.

Puked coolant once but haven't since then

I wish it was the case of over working but the gasser that is running with it isn't having these issues

how old it's your t-stat ..?

how you control your fans .?

how much flow you really get with them through your rad . ?

I'm using 4 core, all y cooling system has been rebuild by me consciously, ford contour fans, flex a lite controller, all fue y 2H it's capable of, 14 - 16 PSI of boost, water injection and if I want it it can go over 200F easily ..

so how hot it is ..?

You're overworking your truck, plain and simple. The engine is producing more excess heat than can be shed by the cooling system. Just because another truck can do the hills fine at that speed doesn't mean yours can. Slow down 5 or 10 miles an hour and see if you have the same problem.

Either your cooling system is no good or you're just pushing the engine too hard. Knowing what your actual temperature is would help. The dash gauge isn't much help.

Drive slower till you figure it out.

There are only a few possibilities left that haven't already been addressed. The easiest is the water pump, is it in decent shape, moving enough volume through the system? Belt appears solid. Are you losing coolant, is the level staying constant? Any white smoke or residue at exhaust that would indicate a blown head gasket? Just a couple thoughts.

Best
Mikey

Water pump replaced at time of swap.

Manual control on fan, which is turned on when vehicle started

New belts cap thermostat and coolant level staying constant.

Exact temp I do not know more than our grand temp gauge

Normal smoke for a diesel

Wish slowing down were an option any slower and it would be going backwards. It should be able to cross the Rockies on 550 without overheating

Guess I'm in denial about head gasket

Thanks for input guys

let's think about this .. .

Drive a brand new out of the plant BJ60 NA and then you will see what slow on hill means .. you adding turbo and possible more diesel are producing more output yes .. all happiness until the old IDI / precup design knock to your door .. cooling system in tip top shape was not meant to cool a turbo engine .. less with more fuel ..

Whats the word man? Any issues on the trail?

I have a turbo 3b with 23 psi boost at 2700 rpm 4.10's and 35's. Stock cooling system. Fuel turned up 2.5 turns. The temperature starts to climb a little at 1050 degrees post turbo on my pyro when you are climbing mountain passes. Just so you can back off your foot a little. I pass people up mountain passes at 100-120kms pre hour. So there is most definitely something wrong with your cooling setup. I can drive all day at 15-18 psi without any coolant temperature spikes.

It is possible that your truck isn't getting enough fuel? Turn up your fuel. Its sounds backwards but too much air and not enough fuel will create heat.

Try taking the thermostat out and going for a heavy hill/mountain. If you don't like the idea of that just buy a new one.

Maybe you need a coolant flush?

Could be your rad is blocked or your engine block is?

Why do have electric fans? The stock system works AWESOME!

YOU ARE NOT OVER WORKING THAT ENGINE!!!

It is possible that your truck isn't getting enough fuel? Turn up your fuel. Its sounds backwards but too much air and not enough fuel will create heat.

You've got that backwards man. That's how it works for gasoline engines, but for diesels, excess fuel causes excess heat.

You've got that backwards man. That's how it works for gasoline engines, but for diesels, excess fuel causes excess heat.

Yes too much fuel does cause excess heat but so does too little.

Have you turned up your fuel at all?

What is overboost?

Here's a quick google search saying my theory is quite accurate.

Yes too much fuel does cause excess heat but so does too little.

No, what you said is wrong in the diesel context. Too little fuel makes GASOLINE engines run hot, but it makes DIESEL engines run cool. Your cited article, a software programmers website by the way, explains in the context of gasoline engines.

If you want to test your theory, go turn down the fuel in your 3B all the way and see if your temps are cooler. Hint, they will be.

ok, after searching for the last 20 minutes i am not finding any more info on this. I do suck at internet searches but I was under the impression when an engine is not tuned properly. Too much or not enough fuel will cause over heating. So I may be wrong about fuel being an issue.

A 3b-t can handle mountain passes without over heating. If you havn't turned up your fuel, you might want to anyways. Like I said before the stock cooling system works great as long as its clear of debris.

A 3b-t can handle mountain passes without over heating. If you havn't turned up your fuel, you might want to anyways. Like I said before the stock cooling system works great as long as its clear of debris.

That is good info. It was suggested before, but with your input, I'm going to have to agree that something is wrong with the cooling system.

It does sound like their is something wrong with the cooling system. Replace the t-stat again because it's easy.

Our trucks are setup identically. Except for the fans.
Why did you go to electric fans? They are inferior in my opinion.

But I bet the radiator is the problem. I bought a champion aluminum rad. It's a good piece of kit for the price.

If I were you I would replace the t-stat, then the radiator and then fans for a clutch type.

Good luck.
And glthfj60 is absolutely correct about fuel temperatures in diesels. It was hard for me to wrap my head around it, but in diesels more fuel equals more heat. Less fuel equals less heat.
You need a turbo to pump more air into the engine to bring down those egt's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom