2017 Rubithon Wagon Run (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I kind of soloed in and scored a nice relaxing spot. Then a bunch of people showed up.

:mad:
View attachment 1498858
IMG_4058.JPG

Ok, I'm going to be a bit verbose, so please bear with me...

This year was an incredible experience for me, my wife, and my two sons @justintpryor and @JohnnyOshow22. The success of this year's Wagon Run starts with the phenomenal mentorship of @Cruiserdrew, the previous Wagon Run leader for something like 15 years. This year was only my fourth run through the Con in the past two years. Outside of that my son's and I have had the opportunity to wheel with him in various places in the Western U.S. THANK YOU Andy!

And how many times did @TrickyT drop a bombshell of knowledge on us?? I can't count that high - thank you Tom!

Next it's my wife who deserves the credit. Without her support The boys wouldn't each have a factory 3x locked 80's ! Ok, and I wouldn't be there either.

Justin and Johnny, though, really made this possible. Unfortunately, and for totally legit family reasons, two very, very experienced guys who were also my committee members had to back out. While this placed much more responsibility on the three of us to get everyone through, I never lost a minute's sleep knowing my sons the way I do. By the way, Johnny's 22 and Justin's 23. Thank you, boys, for having your dad's back. And as Tom already mentioned, the muscle and rock stacking talents of Justin's college roommates Alex and Jay really tipped the tides of success time after time. THANK YOU ALEX and JAY!! Also in the confidence building department, my brother-in-law @trout bum aka Steve2 was along in his 80 from CO. We've shared many remote trail miles backpacking together and I know his mettle and it is a very good thing.

As my friend and the builder of my rig (hey! I'm a structural engineer, and in my world, if it moves it's broke!), I know Valley Hybrid's Georg Esterer @orangefj45 wanted me to succeed as well. In the course of working with him I've gotten to know his lead mechanic Dominic pretty well as well. And it was at last year's Rubithon that Dom agreed to my request to be part of my run committee. Besides being a great guy to be with, I'm sure you can understand the stress-relieving nature of having Dom there. But it didn't stop there: two other shop mechanics (and great guys!), Adam and Fergie, were also on the Wagon Run! Thanks, Georg, for letting me have your shop for the run!!! And of the spare parts Georg set me up with for the run, I turned out to be his biggest customer, popping open the Terrain Taimer 80 series knuckle kit for Justin. Georg, I look forward to seeing you there next year.

To those of you who participated on the Wagon Run: Thank You!!! Without you there wouldn't have been a run, and you made my job much easier than it could have been. Yes, @Jetboy needed some TLC here and there, but we all know his driving skill is what really got his 2015 4Runner through clean!! And how cool was that!!! I truly hope to see you all next year!

PS we'll be setting up a FaceBook page for the run to dump pics and vids, so stay tuned!

IMG_2689.JPG

The past three years flew by, building up my (mostly) '65 pickup for this years Rubicon; Mudrak designed armor really did its job, since we got away with only a twisted front bumper and a bottom crease on da cab. If I picked a few words to help describe this experience as a Wagon Run participant.... "Trust Steve" is it.... His experience, enthusiasm and along with his clan of seasoned wheelers ensured that Kathy and I got the full measure of the this years Rubicon.

Ya never know who is going to be ahead or behind you on this trail after rest stops, and I was reminded time and time again to be ready with a smile to help others when asked. Glad I got to use the new winch, not once, but TWICE to assist Kara and then Peter.... and BIG THANKS for spotting goes out to Justin, Johnny (for the 2 'love tap' push starts down the Sluice), Steve P, Steve(troutbum), Peter (for another micro starter on another boulder, Robert and Sasha, Justin (for radioing in after scouting Cadillac Hill all day on foot) Peter & awesome guitarist/son Porter for the alternative "unique line" down Big Sluice and finally Nial, for sharing camp shade, delicious pickled peppers, horse divers, solar panel to recharge my nearly dead battery on Friday and, keeping his crass comments to a predictable level...LOL

Bill Stayner and Heather were awesome to provide some much needed power steering fluid at Buck camp and then more at the Springs!! Going up Cadillac, we got to meet the awesome "Pooz" (Kade) and chatted while we were almost on our passenger doorside, exchanging phone numbers and then hitting the gas to catchup to our group...Although we never heard where the 'jaywalking' hillbillies' in that nice Lexus went?? I hope they had fun. We'll post compressed video from Youtube since we don't do Facebook. We got footage of MountainGoat, Blowtorch and Jetboy

riosfj45@gmail.com

HYDEEHO, OUT

The past three years flew by, building up my (mostly) '65 pickup for this years Rubicon; Mudrak designed armor really did its job, since we got away with only a twisted front bumper and a bottom crease on da cab. If I picked a few words to help describe this experience as a Wagon Run participant.... "Trust Steve" is it.... His experience, enthusiasm and along with his clan of seasoned wheelers ensured that Kathy and I got the full measure of the this years Rubicon.

Ya never know who is going to be ahead or behind you on this trail after rest stops, and I was reminded time and time again to be ready with a smile to help others when asked. Glad I got to use the new winch, not once, but TWICE to assist Kara and then Peter.... and BIG THANKS for spotting goes out to Justin, Johnny (for the 2 'love tap' push starts down the Sluice), Steve P, Steve(troutbum), Peter (for another micro starter on another boulder, Robert and Sasha, Justin (for radioing in after scouting Cadillac Hill all day on foot) Peter & awesome guitarist/son Porter for the alternative "unique line" down Big Sluice and finally Nial, for sharing camp shade, delicious pickled peppers, horse divers, solar panel to recharge my nearly dead battery on Friday and, keeping his crass comments to a predictable level...LOL

Bill Stayner and Heather were awesome to provide some much needed power steering fluid at Buck camp and then more at the Springs!! Going up Cadillac, we got to meet the awesome "Pooz" (Kade) and chatted while we were almost on our passenger doorside, exchanging phone numbers and then hitting the gas to catchup to our group...Although we never heard where the 'jaywalking' hillbillies' in that nice Lexus went?? I hope they had fun. We'll post compressed video from Youtube since we don't do Facebook. We got footage of MountainGoat, Blowtorch and Jetboy

riosfj45@gmail.com

HYDEEHO, OUT
:flipoff2:
IMG_4069.JPG

Always great to see Tom Boyd. Missed Pismo Jim this year though. CruiserDrew is the best. Nicely done all.

Finally got a chance to get back on here and say thank you to the Pryor family! I had a great time on the wagon run and made it through pretty clean in my 4runner. That would never have happened without @MountNGoat and his two sons spotting the right lines and all the help from his group of family and friends.

When I got home I told my wife that I really shouldn't have taken my 4runner on that trail. It was a bad idea and too difficult for that vehicle - and also that I had so much fun I should do it again next year and she needs to go with. - possibly with a little more prep time and bigger lift.

Here's a few pictures. I'll have more to add to the facebook page.

20170713_112312 (1024x576).jpg
20170713_111021 (1024x768).jpg
20170712_135207 (1024x768).jpg
20170712_135746 (1024x768).jpg
20170713_064200 (768x1024).jpg

Last edited:
- the OEM front skids after cleaning up last night. They may be made of tinfoil, but they did their job admirably. Nothing inside the skids had any damage at all. I think it may be time for something a bit stronger though. My skids fared better - but one of them needs to be repaired too.

View attachment 1498986

View attachment 1498993
Impressive!

Seriously. Impressive work with the 4Runner. :clap:

I agree. @Jetboy , I have one word for you...BALLS. Because it takes a pair to bring your almost brand new 4runner on the Rubicon for your first time on the trail. I know the Pryors did a great job getting you through, but also give yourself some credit for some serious driving skills. I did not run the trail clean on my first trip...and that was in a fairly well built 80 on 37s. Glad you had a good time. Bring your wife next year, she will have a great time too.

Last edited:
Now that we have enough photos of Landcruisers (and the occasional 4runner), I am going to post my excuse for being unable to attend this year's Rubithon....while others were waking up early on Saturday morning from their Marauder Bar induced hangovers, I was welcoming this little guy into the world. Next year should be his first Rubithon.

36010737265_14d515a4cf_z.jpg

Ok... back to more photos of Rubithon!

Now that we have enough photos of Landcruisers (and the occasional 4runner), I am going to post my excuse for being unable to attend this year's Rubithon....while others were waking up early on Saturday morning from their Marauder Bar induced hangovers, I was welcoming this little guy into the world. Next year should be his first Rubithon.

36010737265_14d515a4cf_z.jpg

Ok... back to more photos of Rubithon!
Congratulations you two!!! Next year will be an extra special Wagon Run!!!

Hey MountNGoat - where did you get the bracket and gauges for the two gauges you got on your A pillar????

Sorry for not posting up sooner, but had a ton of wrap up items that needed attention first. I want to thank all of the participants that came out and enjoyed Rubithon this year. I know the date change and the reports of the potential water issues kept many from being able to attend this year. Those that were able to make it were treated with perfect weather and a nice cozier event.

There are tons of people to thank, but I’d like to start with Mark and Maria, the caretakers of the Springs, that went in early and made short work of the winter damage in the Springs. They also corrected the water and mud issues that had us all a bit nervous of a Cadillac exit. That leads me to thank the members of the Tahoe Hi-Lo’s that again joined us and made getting out Cadillac a breeze! I especially want to shout out the guys at the hairpin that helped with a tug and helping me to get my winch rope corrected.

The Mog Crew, while Mog less this year because of the date change, still came to the plate and made sure we got everything in. We had to ask others for help this year so thanks to Bill Stayner and Heather Royston we got all the PA equipment in. Larry Allen for bringing in supplies beforehand. FOTR Tahoe Lead John Briggs for helping to bring raffle and some cook crew material. And last but certainly not least, Desmond Caravella. Desmond and his wife Gayle in his monster Toyota on 49’s pulling a converted Marine Corps trailer not only brought in all the cook crew boxes, water and stoves, but then went back out Thursday to bring in my wife and Steve Morris, the perishable cook crew goods and 300#’s of ice. Then brought it all out for us Sunday. I truly can’t thank you all enough!

Thanks to Brian Kaiser for leading all of the camp committee guys and want to welcome our newest TLCA convert. Andrew “Binky” Rotchstein, a young man that contacted me early, that just wanted to come in and help make the Springs ready…. Even though he drives a J@@p. Binky had a thick skin and really helped to make everything ready. He even says he now wants to get a 40 and that our crowd is more what he has been looking for.

I can’t thank Dion Mattei enough for stepping up even more than normal this year. He took care of all the aspects of the Marauder Bar and was willing to take on the Cook Crew Lead and knocked it out of the park. There are so many that came to the plate to help make the Saturday dinner a success that it’d take a page in itself to thank individually, but know each of you are greatly appreciated.

I’d like to thank Jerry Schroeder for organizing the RTF fundraising wine tasting and my awesome wife Karen for making up the tasting notes for it as well as all the other things she does to make my life easier during the lead up and at the event itself. I’d also like to thank RTF VP Ken Hower for coming down and talking about the goings on of RTF and in particular the RTF property. Ken answered a lot of questions at the wine tasting and I dropped the ball and was going to introduce him to the entire crowd during the awards, but got behind and plain just goofed up. Very sorry Ken and thank you for spending your time to come down. I’ll post up soon about the RTF totals from the wine tasting.

Steve Pryor with the help of his sons and others did a spectacular job bringing in the Wagon Run. This was Steve’s first time being a lead and all the participants said he did an amazing job. Thank you and very glad to hear you are excited to lead the Wagon Run again next year.

Thanks to Brain Bettencort of Keith’s Alignment and Brakes for helping us out with a much needed part and Matt Hall for being willing to bring the part in and other “important supplies” for our special guest, Steve Morris. I love hearing the stories from Steve and learning more about the Springs and the trail itself. Steve has agreed to come out again for the 30th next year. If you have not got to hear Steve’s talk yet, you won’t want to miss it. Steve is a shareholder of RSSI, a previous ROCK Award recipient and was the very first President of Cal4Wheel. Most everyone has heard of Morris Rock at the Top of Cadillac. It is named after him because he use to go up early from Jeepers Jamboree and would be the winch point at the top. He has some great info on how to use your winch and what not to do if you don’t want to rip your frame in half from years of doing it. Steve should be in the Off Road Hall of Fame and I hope we can help make that happen.

I also need to thank all of my other Trail Leads and Committee. You guys did an awesome job as always and I can’t express my gratitude enough. To finish the trips off, Marlin again ran the Sweeper Run and actually was able to make it in before the Committee meeting this year!!!

I’d like to thank Joel Moranton for his continued hard work and dedication to make Rubithon’s raffles one of the best around! Without his hours of work, our raffle would not be near what it is. I would like to try to find some help for him for next year. Just with making some phone calls and follow up emails. We don’t need to cold call or walk in to any shops, so if interested, email me and I will get you two together.

Brian Flynn and Jason Winkle killed it this year with the kids’ activities. It was awesome to see how much fun they were having and I’m pretty sure some of the adults wanted to be in on the kids’ raffle! A huge thank you to John Evans for contributing so much to help take the raffle to the next level!

I’d like to thank my replacement after next year Dick Thompson and his lovely wife Kathleen for coming in early with us and starting to learn all the how to’s and what nots with being the Chairman. He has already expressed ideas on some small changes and that makes me happy to know that he is chomping at the bit to make Rubithon even better. I think that should be the goal of every Chairman, to continually try to make improvement, be it small or large, to make TLCA’s hosted event better each year and to keep its participants excited to come back for more.

Please send any pictures you would like considered to be put in Toyota Trails or on our Facebook page to chairman@rubithon.com If you would like it to be considered to be put in TT, please add a short description and the name of who took the photo.

Thanks again for making Rubithon such a great event!

Eric

If you have any pictures you would like to share please send to chairman@rubithon.com If it is a large file or many pictures, you can dropbox it and share with the same email please. If you would like it considered for use in Toyota Trails, I will need a brief description and who took it. To be considered for use in TT, I will need to receive it by Thursday afternoon.
Thank again for a great week!
Eric

Congratulations you two!!! Next year will be an extra special Wagon Run!!!

Thanks! Congratulations to you as well for leading a successful wagon run! It sounds like it was relatively smooth sailing through, despite a tough winter and lots of water/erosion issues earlier this summer. Good work getting the 4runner through too.

Here's a link to all my photos on my phone. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ArJEhSHmzgL7HDxm1 It should be a shared link open for anyone to view and download pics. If it doesn't work let me know.

This is the worst of the damage I had. It's pretty minor and happened on the way up Cadillac hill in a place I probably could have squeezed bye, but didn't realize I was going to bump until it happened. I made the hard obstacles pretty cleanly. Being a few inches narrower than an 80 made life a little easier. And it's really a testament to the Pryor crew spotting. In the technical spots I was just following directions. I did bump the front bumper, but I don't count it because it wasn't really on the trail. It was at a pull off, and I got back in and forgot I was right up against a big rock. I don't know how you'd do it in an LC200. But I want to see someone try it. If only Toyota would lend me one for a week...

20170717_195619 (1280x960).jpg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ArJEhSHmzgL7HDxm1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom