Couple questions regarding engine.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a new to me 97 lX this past week and making comparisons to the 97 LC I have. Which of these engines has the original FIPG on the halfmoons or is it neither? The first is the LC, the second is the LX. (for some reason I couldn't get the second image to post horizontal - sorry about that).

Engine halfmoon fipg landcruiser.jpg

Lexus engine FIPG.jpg

Also where is this oil leak coming from? Is it common to leak from the bolt circled in red or is it dripping down from the oil pump or dizzy?

oil leak.jpg

First pic is original.

Last pic with oil leak. I'm guessing oil pump seal, but the dizzy is above it so could be either....or both. I'm betting BOTH.

Cool, thanks. I assumed so but haven't seen enough of these vehicles to know for sure. The place where I bought the LX had a few others with similar FIPG and wasn't sure if they took the time to refresh the upper ends on all of them or if it my LC had been worked on. I wonder what all they did or if it was just the valve cover seal.

First pic is original.

Last pic with oil leak. I'm guessing oil pump seal, but the dizzy is above it so could be either....or both. I'm betting BOTH.

Yeah, I figured it was the oil pump seal but when I tackle that I will just replace both as well. I didn't know if there was a gasket or seal under that bolt that was circled, but think I recall reading a thread a while ago that there isn't. Just can't remember where I read it. Probably the oil pump seal thread.:hillbilly:

Yeah, I figured it was the oil pump seal but when I tackle that I will just replace both as well. I didn't know if there was a gasket or seal under that bolt that was circled, but think I recall reading a thread a while ago that there isn't. Just can't remember where I read it. Probably the oil pump seal thread.:hillbilly:

I don't think I even removed that plug when I did my oil pump seal. It may take an O-ring though.
Mine was a combo of the dizzy O-ring, oil pump seal, front main seal, valve cover gasket, and definitely the spark plug tube seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom