What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (49 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New (to me) 16" Toyota Enkei rims. They came off a Tundra and look much better than the rims and had just put on from a Tacoma. To me they look like a modern take of the original ca. 1994 rims.
vGkZhPq.jpg

turned 15 min paint job into a production without an end.
Been towing our new boat (1984 hobie holder dinghy) a lot, and the hitch was looking rusty, so decided to hit it with the grinder, primer and rattle can. Well 5 of the 6 bolts spun off, the sixth torqued off the backer stud inside the frame rail. Mother$%#&%...., It's the shorter bolt towards the front, not long studs in the rear, so I pivoted off that bolt, paper and taped off the back of the rig and sprayed in place, total hack job, but it worked. Fortunately, our "yacht" and trailer are under 500# combined, but will need to weld hitch to the rail, unless there's a way to get in there. whatevers.

Have an appointment with Georg/Valley Hybrid next week for some real work....

Twenty-five kilometers from the nearest truck and 100 meters from the nearest winching tree, I chose a bad line and a worse gear trying to get past an old washed-out bridge. After 5 men spent 3 hours digging in the mud and sand only to see our progress flooded faster than we could dig, I left it parked in the riverbed overnight and finished digging and jacking in the morning. Thank god I had a snatch block to double the power of my winch; otherwise I'd never have been able to pull it up that bank. Ripped the tow hook off the chassis of a 70-series while winching it up the river bank, too. All in all, the camping trip was more eventful than anticipated, and I was only 2 hours late getting home!

img_8118.jpg

FINALLY! Someone with a real, CORRECT use of a 60" HiLift jack!

THAT was LOT of work!

Spent all week taking my Boy Scout troop to summer camp. Riding herd on 50 teenage boys can be a bit taxing at times but it was well worth the experience. I look forward to summer camp as a leader almost as much as I did as a Scout.

The 80 pulled our gear trailer 450 miles to and from camp without a hassle. It even got a big thumbs up from someone in a late model 4 Runner who passed me on I95 in CT yesterday. I love having someone walk over to the 80 admiring it and I casually mention, "it's got a quarter million miles on it" :)

Yawgoog 3.jpg

Yawgoog 1A.jpg

Yawgoog 2.jpg

Spent all week taking my Boy Scout troop to summer camp. Riding herd on 50 teenage boys can be a bit taxing at times but it was well worth the experience. I look forward to summer camp as a leader almost as much as I did as a Scout.

The 80 pulled our gear trailer 450 miles to and from camp without a hassle. It even got a big thumbs up from someone in a late model 4 Runner who passed me on I95 in CT yesterday. I love having someone walk over to the 80 admiring it and I casually mention, "it's got a quarter million miles on it" :)

View attachment 1498582

View attachment 1498584

View attachment 1498583

That brings back many good memories of when I was a Scout.

Spent a week in the Outer Banks of North Carolina drinking cold snacks under my awning and waiting for waves. Got a nice 24 hour run of swell (rare in midsummer) and learned what happens when you don't stake an ARB awning down IMMEDIATELY on a windy beach....

IMG_9170.jpg

Spent a week in the Outer Banks of North Carolina drinking cold snacks under my awning and waiting for waves. Got a nice 24 hour run of swell (rare in midsummer) and learned what happens when you don't stake an ARB awning down IMMEDIATELY on a windy beach....

View attachment 1498612

Ummmm.....Half-naked women gather under it while you're away?

Same here. I made Eagle Scout and did a ton of cool stuff during my days in scouting.

Picked up a new to me 97 LX 450 last week for my wife so that I can claim back my 97 landcruiser from her :) Spent the last few days starting to get familiar with it - coolant flush, oil change, new belts, checked diff oil and knuckle grease which were surprisingly clean. Ended up giving her a deep cleaning as well to get rid of 20 years of other people's mess by stripping the carpets and washing them and cleaning out the interior.

lexus 1.jpg
lexus 2.jpg
Lexus stripped interior.jpg
lexus carpeted interior.jpg
lexus cleaned interior.jpg

Now to go take her for a long drive and see how she does.

Picked up a new to me 97 LX 450 last week for my wife so that I can claim back my 97 landcruiser from her :) Spent the last few days starting to get familiar with it - coolant flush, oil change, new belts, checked diff oil and knuckle grease which were surprisingly clean. Ended up giving her a deep cleaning as well to get rid of 20 years of other people's mess by stripping the carpets and washing them and cleaning out the interior.

View attachment 1498647 View attachment 1498648 View attachment 1498649 View attachment 1498650 View attachment 1498651

Now to go take her for a long drive and see how she does.

Are those CHROME Lexus wheels? My LC came with the chrome package and all the center caps were missing. Are those center caps CHROME or painted silver or ??? Close-up pics would be appreciated.

Are those CHROME Lexus wheels? My LC came with the chrome package and all the center caps were missing. Are those center caps CHROME or painted silver or ??? Close-up pics would be appreciated.

They are chrome - I'll try and get photos of them some time.

Same here. I made Eagle Scout and did a ton of cool stuff during my days in scouting.

Good memories indeed. I learned to drive off-road as a young CIT in the camp army surplus pickup. Someone made me a bet that I couldn't drive across the pond. Who knew that a '67 M715 would make a REALLY COOL bow wave until it stalled out in 4+ feet of water, in full view of the Ranger’s cabin. I’ve never dried an ignition with my shirt so quick… ;)

I find Boy Scouts more important than ever to today’s kids. The skills and experiences Scouting offers are harder and harder to come by in the environment today’s youth grow up in. Leadership, personal responsibility and accountability, creative problem solving, positive attitude, and survival skills whether in the wild or not.

Something about seeing a Scout in his Class A uniform saluting during flag ceremony, doing his “good turn daily”, or hearing Taps echo across a lake each evening, still stirs my heart. I still can’t make it through Scout Vespers without tearing up.

It’s even more special now that I am watching my son come up through the ranks and get to see him transform from a boy into a young man.

Scout Oath.jpg

Last edited:
Twenty-five kilometers from the nearest truck and 100 meters from the nearest winching tree, I chose a bad line and a worse gear trying to get past an old washed-out bridge. After 5 men spent 3 hours digging in the mud and sand only to see our progress flooded faster than we could dig, I left it parked in the riverbed overnight and finished digging and jacking in the morning. Thank god I had a snatch block to double the power of my winch; otherwise I'd never have been able to pull it up that bank. Ripped the tow hook off the chassis of a 70-series while winching it up the river bank, too. All in all, the camping trip was more eventful than anticipated, and I was only 2 hours late getting home!

Clearly you are mzungu kichaa.

Good memories indeed. I learned to drive off-road as a young CIT in the camp surplus army pickup. Someone made me a bet that I couldn't drive across the pond. Who knew that a '67 M715 would make a REALLY COOL bow wave until it stalled out in 4+ feet of water, in full view of the Ranger’s cabin. I’ve never dried an ignition with my shirt so quick… ;)

I find Boy Scouts more important than ever to today’s kids. The skills and experiences Scouting offers are harder and harder to come by in the environment today’s youth grow up in. Leadership, personal responsibility and accountability, creative problem solving, positive attitude, and survival skills whether in the wild or not.

Something about seeing a Scout in his Class A uniform saluting during flag ceremony, doing his “good turn daily”, or hearing Taps echo across a lake each evening, still stirs my heart. I still can’t make it through Scout Vespers without tearing up.

It’s even more special now that I am watching my son come up through the ranks and get to see him transform from a boy into a young man.

View attachment 1498709
I mirror all those sentiments for sure except for the children of my own part.

View attachment 1498612

We just came back from a week on Okracoke Island. Great time, were going back end of October for the Pirate Fest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom