RTH! Putting gas in the tank! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you really want to lighten the load just fart in the tank. Go to Taco Bell before to have more potent farts. much better mpg :flipoff2:
You have to adjust the timing though, to avoid predetonation.

Been there done that. The best solution to this is probably what I did when baselining my truck. When it came time to replace the fuel pickup screen in the gas tank, do the following. Walmart sells those reddish rubber dodge balls. Buy 10 of them, deflate each. After opening up the fuel sender hatch under the second row seats, slip a deflated ball through that opening and then inflate. Then repeat until all 10 balls are in. Remember to inflate them one at a time, there's not enough room to put them all in and then inflate them, you won't be able to fill the last 3-4 as they will be buried under the other balls.
Theses 10 balls displace almost exactly 12 gallons of gas in the tank. Now when you fill up, the weight savings is tremendous and no more guessing how many gallons are in the tank, when to stop filling it. I tried soccer, footballs tennis balls and finally the dodge balls. The soccer and footballs came apart after a short period of time, the tennis ball felt separated and plugged the pick up screen. The dodge balls have been great for 2 years.
I also like that I can fill my tank all the way for about $30 and my gauge reads full.

A good way to appreciate the average mileage I get DDing my 80 is to load it to the gills with gear and firewood and hit the trail. After a week of driving in low range averaging 2-3mpg you'll be wishing to be back to 12-13...

Guys! I'm at the pump right now and I've put about 12 gallons in, but I'm not sure how full I should fill it up to. How much do you usually put in? I don't want to top it off because the extra weight will reduce my mileage, but I'm tired of stopping for gas every 100 miles. What do I do? Should I get an aux tank so I can still keep the weight down but carry more gas?

Mandrake, can you please give an update on the situation, the suspense is killing me :nailbiting:

Mandrake, can you please give an update on the situation, the suspense is killing me :nailbiting:

Mandrake was last seen cresting a rise, then sprinting downhill with a confused look on his face, madly waving his arms at a runaway 80 series with no-one behind the wheel after deciding the best way to get better mileage was to push it.

The 80's folks need a thread to vent it.

Ken & Onur must have just had a busy weekend.

That's my guess - this is a thread that only 80 & older FJ guys can 'go with'. Shared pain of ownership.

Lurking the 200 forum w/ my 5.7 Tundra you all shoulda seen a guy there have a near meltdown over his thread ('future' of the Landcruiser badge/marque) get towed to chat.

A better question is, why is your gas so expensive? $3.75 a gallon?? It's $2.55 a gallon here, and I'm on an island in the middle of the ocean. Something isn't right.

Maui's Costco is 2.88 last time I went home. Cali is about 2.74 but thats because theres tax on every gallon added....

You silly fools.
Everyone knows MPG is determined by Oil, Tires, Battery, and Lift.
So what are you guys running?:eek:

Extra MPG if you can tell me why my wheels click every time I turn?:oops:

Your in Prius Territory if you can tell me where the water on my floor boards is coming from?:oops:

But in all seriousness what do you think it's worth? Should I keep it?:rolleyes:

Where y'all getting your parts? How do I get a hold of that Dan fella?

I'm always sure to hit the bathroom before driving. Every ounce counts!

His first post and he digs a troll thread to ask about an Ultragauge. Pretty priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom