200 Rear Seat Shaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys -

Need some help here checking my Toyota dealer in Denver, that shall remain nameless, except to say they are located on east Arapahoe road, at Havanna.

I bought a 2016 200 and noticed the 60% side of the 60/40 split was shaking in my rear view mirror. This is my third cruiser so I know this shouldn't happen. I took the truck in yesterday, and they tore the seat apart and couldn't figure out the problem. They then told me this is common on 200's? I call BS, but wanted to check with you guys first before I escalate this. It was slammed and the guy helping me was really no help at all.

I was poking around and the plastic piece my tape measure is pointing at has a lot of play. The screws all seem to be tight, but there is a lot of movement in this piece. I took a video so you could see this. Please let me know your thoughts and if any Denver 200 owners have a good contact over at Autonation that I could talk to that would be great!

Thanks,
Nick

60% Shaking:

40% Non Shaking:

2016 model here, and I can confirm my 60% side has just as much play in it as yours. But I will say that it has never caused any issues - noise or otherwise - for me.

You piqued my interest.

Went & checked my '15 (purchased new) ...-0-, NADA, Zip in the rear seat shakes or loosey-goosey like yours!

Your dealer needs to attend dipstick school....

You piqued my interest.

Went & checked my '15 (purchased new) ...-0-, NADA, Zip in the rear seat shakes or loosey-goosey like yours!

Your dealer needs to attend dipstick school....

Thanks! There is 0 play in my 100 and was 0 play in 80. Just wanted to check

2016 model here, and I can confirm my 60% side has just as much play in it as yours. But I will say that it has never caused any issues - noise or otherwise - for me.

No kidding? I guess nice to hear you have to, but I doubt that is just "how the 2016 is" as they told me yesterday...

All of the seats will wiggle a bit. It's the nature when seats are meant to detach and fold. Also preference and perception come into play too. For example, I think the amount the 40% side moves in your video is too much. But I know it's normal and others may think that's no movement at all.

But the 60% side is not normal.

If you're under 12 mo / 12k they should try to address something like this no questions asked. My Toyota dealer has told me they address things like rattles and other cosmetic issues during the 12 / 12. While they should- know they don't have to. Toyota's "Basic" coverage
excludes such things in writing.

If you haven't already- talk to the Warranty Manager at the dealer and ask them to escalate to Toyota.
Might also want to try another dealer.

Also try the Toyota customer line, they're supposed to work with a dealer on your behalf-
Toyota Customer Experience Center at
(800) 331-4331

After all that if you get no help- other's on here, including myself, have found that it helps to tape the anchor with pipe tape.
Adding tape makes the anchor thicker and reduces movement when latched.

Check out this thread-
2013 LC200 - Rattle in front passenger seat and back seat

All of the seats will wiggle a bit. It's the nature when seats are meant to detach and fold. Also preference and perception come into play too. For example, I think the amount the 40% side moves in your video is too much. But I know it's normal and others may think that's no movement at all.

But the 60% side is not normal.

If you're under 12 mo / 12k they should try to address something like this no questions asked. My Toyota dealer has told me they address things like rattles and other cosmetic issues during the 12 / 12. While they should- know they don't have to. Toyota's "Basic" coverage
excludes such things in writing.

If you haven't already- talk to the Warranty Manager at the dealer and ask them to escalate to Toyota.
Might also want to try another dealer.

Also try the Toyota customer line, they're supposed to work with a dealer on your behalf-
Toyota Customer Experience Center at
(800) 331-4331

After all that if you get no help- other's on here, including myself, have found that it helps to tape the anchor with pipe tape.
Adding tape makes the anchor thicker and reduces movement when latched.

Check out this thread-
2013 LC200 - Rattle in front passenger seat and back seat

Awesome - thanks!

My 2008 doesn't move like yours. It looks to me as though that inner anchor point is basically non-functional, which I would think to be a legitimate safety question. Seats should definitely not be separating from the anchor even partially.

No kidding? I guess nice to hear you have to, but I doubt that is just "how the 2016 is" as they told me yesterday...

Yes mine moves just like yours does if i move it by hand. Now I'm curious... Anybody with a 2016-2017 model have a 60% side of the back seat that doesn't move this much?

I have a 17 and it moves the same as yours. I can't figure it out either.

There is not much effort to move the 60% side. When I got underneath the seat, there is a lot of play in the plastic base where it latches in the center anchor point. The 40% has no play in the base and it takes a lot of force to move the seat as much as I did in the video. Driving down the highway the 60% side is just shaking away. No noise, but it is moving a lot. I climbed in my 100 and there is 0 play in the base on either side and little to no movement when you try to shake it with your hand. I'll call Toyota and let you all know what I hear from them. I'll also call Yoda, I mean Christo's team, and see if they've seen / fixed it on any customer trucks.

Thanks for the responses everyone (this is such a great community!!)

-Nick

With ALL of you 16/17 guys exhibiting this...and older models not...it seems clear that this is a design update flaw or manufacturing defect. Because it directly relates to safety (and it does), I suggest this:

If you DOCUMENT this in the form of *hard copy letters* in addition to emails, and send them directly to the appropriate Toyota department (Toyota Customer Care could direct you)...making specific reference to SAFETY concerns and the wide spread nature of the problem...they will respond. This is a perfect candidate for a recall..and putting such things in writing has an amazing effect on companies--specifically regarding safety concerns.

If they are informed by you of a safety issue...and they do nothing...they know they become highly liable...and magically become motivated to act.

My 2008 doesn't move anywhere close to that, and I suspect they'll address it at levels above/beyond dealerships.

Toyota paid a huge price $$$ for loose floor mats a while back....

Personally would not accept this rear seat anchoring defect.

Lemon law as a safety defect.....that will give some wake up calls

Last edited:
2017 owner here. Mine does the exact same. The 40% seat locks firmly in place, the 60% is (almost) as loose as the video above. Constant rattling over uneven surfaces led me to try the temp fix linked in a previous post. Its better, but not perfect.

Hey what seat covers are you rocking? They look good. I'm in the market for some.

I will absolutely say that my '16 moves - but nothing like yours - here is the video I took - mine looks more like your 40 side. My 40 side is the same as my 60 side.

At least to me that looks like a lesser shake.

Hey what seat covers are you rocking? They look good. I'm in the market for some.

I worked with Seat Covers Unlimited - they are pretty nice and leather - not super expensive. They had to custom make the Armrest for the 2016 as it has (apparently) changed from the 15 - they templated and designed and sent out the correct part - they were awesome to work with!

I worked with Madie - she killed it on customer service. Quality, Custom Auto Seat Covers From Seat Covers Unlimited

I will absolutely say that my '16 moves - but nothing like yours - here is the video I took - mine looks more like your 40 side. My 40 side is the same as my 60 side.

At least to me that looks like a lesser shake.

Thanks for posting this! That was really helpfull and I would agree with you that yours is much more secure. I called Toyota and am currently working with the dealer / toyota regional tech to trouble shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom