Can truck bed lining be removed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was close to buying an 85' 60 series the other day.
But other than some mechanical problems, it was painted in black truck bed liner from the windows down.
Who ever put the stuff on did not know what he was doing. It was very un even, and was slopped on.
So main question, can that stuff be removed by any method other than sand blasting?
I did not want to get in over my head on a project, as in using a chemical stripper over the whole body.

Duraliner, Monstaliner, advocates do you have any in-put?
You know, if the 60 owner calls me back with a stupid low price that I can't walk away from.
The product almost looked as if it was the same as the deck of an Aircraft Carrier.

I thought a heat gun and a scraper would do the trick.
Clean off what is left with a solvent.

That said, I did a small (12"x2")patch with a flapper disk not long ago.

I used a cup brush on a polisher to remove my Raptor liner. A upol rep recommended this method. It is a messy job, and wear a dust mask. For the most part it will take it down to bare metal. If it's from the doors down it would probably take a weekend to get it off.
I was close to buying an 85' 60 series the other day.
But other than some mechanical problems, it was painted in black truck bed liner from the windows down.
Who ever put the stuff on did not know what he was doing. It was very un even, and was slopped on.
So main question, can that stuff be removed by any method other than sand blasting?
I did not want to get in over my head on a project, as in using a chemical stripper over the whole body.

Thanks for the answers.
White Stripe, I think it would take a month or more. To me it looked like grit from sand paper in epoxy, put on with a roller.
I think if I had bought the 60, I would have been in over my head.

To remove it, its the same ballpark as totally prepping to paint, so be prepared. I have an 80 thats been lined top to bottom. BUT I own a refinishing Co. So I may change the color but to remove it entirely you will have to have it or repaint it yourself.

The other thing to consider is that I’d bet that most of the time the bedliner is put on to cover up other damage. I’d guess that it is fairly rare that pristine bodywork is covered with bedliner.

Aircraft paint stripper can remove bedliner paint but it can be really messy.

Yes, the bed liner was put over "other" body damage. Like trail and rock bumps.
Thanks for the info, and glad I did not buy the 60. Too much of a project for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom