"Rusty Rockers" BJ74 Daily. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been driving this for over six months now and I'm really enjoying it. There are lots of little things I'd like to eventually get done on this to make it more bush worthy, but for now (summer) I'm concentrating on the rust. After my previous body swap and restoration of the BJ60, what I've found on this 74 seems trivial, but nonetheless, as a novice in the autobody trade, I figured I'd post a thread so people can provide helpful pointers so I can do the best job with what I have available to me.

The 74 is already lifted about 2.5" SUA, has pretty long shackles, 265/75/16 Grabber AT2's, LSD rear, and is factory turbo'd with the 13BT and auto trans.

Here's what I'm hoping to eventually get around to doing with this truck...eventually.

1. PTO Winch. Because of the 24v system I figure this route will give me the best bang for the buck.

2. Custom front and rear bumpers. Might try building these myself...we'll see.

3. On-board Air. Always useful. Also...lockers.

4. Lockers. Probably start with the rear. Probably air lockers.

5. Rocker step/protection. I have a set of thin aluminum ones (for free) that I'll probably put on just to protect the rockers from normal everyday chipping and such, and maybe one day I'll buy/build something more substantial.

Starting with rust elimination (can that ever fully be achieved???), I've got a local sheet metal company to bend up some new rockers for me and I will cut and patch the other holes with sheet metal as necessary. It seems the right side is more affected than the left. For example, the rear tail light pockets; right has huge hole, and left is virtually perfect. Also, the lower windshield frame will need some attention as it seems to be quite religious as well. I'll get to that after the rockers are dealt with.

But for your viewing pleasure today, I give you rust exposure.

PS: Whoever the guy in the 80's was who convinced every Landcruiser owner to fill every lower inner panel with expanding sprayfoam...I dislike you. Also probably the guy who invented Rust Converter...well played sprayfoam guy, well played.

IMG_6252.JPG

19894955_10159275671780657_8519283624614144102_n.jpg

19894680_10159275671855657_3787729247980703543_n.jpg

19894856_10159275671805657_8261998360377031076_n.jpg

19990402_10159275671860657_6691716117972785547_n.jpg

19884429_10159275671865657_2705629553053039432_n.jpg

Good luck, at least you have dry weather to start. I leave today, but when I get back you can
borrow my Stutz gun with extension to do the rust proof spray.
Here's a link for when you get that far. PRO FORM - Products

Thanks for sharing PeeZed. I'll be following with interest. I need to do similar work on my LJ78.

Get the foam out before you start welding, its hard to see flames through a welding helmet. :confused:

Do you have the PTO on your transfer case?

Fwiw, I've been using a 12v 8274 on 24v pretty much every weekend since installing in the winter.

No issues, doesn't even get warm.

Been looking for something cool to run with the tcase pto...It's possible to convert them to rear output with some monkeyf---ing around, which would be good, as theres a lot more room.
maybe a compressor...and that's about as far as I've got on the subject :lol:

Fwiw, I've been using a 12v 8274 on 24v pretty much every weekend since installing in the winter.

No issues, doesn't even get warm.

Been looking for something cool to run with the tcase pto...It's possible to convert them to rear output with some monkeyf---ing around, which would be good, as theres a lot more room.
maybe a compressor...and that's about as far as I've got on the subject :lol:

Behemoth60 just hooked a compressor up to his PTO I think he did a write up on it. Calgary club page

Behemoth60 just hooked a compressor up to his PTO I think he did a write up on it. Calgary club page
Had a look. Interesting, hadn't seen the continuous run valve before...I was thinking I'd use an electric clutch. Still would lean that way.

I have a spare wheelbarrow style compressor now, so I was thinking I'd cannibalize it for pump, tank etc...but...not yet. That'll have to wait for the next truck....

End hijack :lol:

Hey, kinda curious as to how the repairs are going? I imagine work has you pretty busy.
I was until the fire smoke came in and has me grounded.

Update. No pics yet because I'm lazy...

1. Rockers are pretty much complete. All the bad is out, the new is in, and the seam sealer is in place.

2. Rear lower barn door sections, which wrap around into the rear quarters, are now done as well.

3. Windshield replacement pieces are being fabricated at present. It will be a two piece repair for the bottom windshield frame.

4. After windshield frame is repaired I'll be getting the entire vehicle (minus the engine bay) ready for a new splash of white dumpster paint with the hvlp before the winter hits.

Pics to come later...ish...

Windshield repairs. I have the new pieces to instal into the frame so that will be next...

Windshield Rusty.jpg
Windshield Track Repair.jpg

Let me know where you get new windshield

Let me know where you get new windshield

Nice to see the restoration proceeding. Keep us updated. :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom