Essential winching accessories? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished up installing bumper + winch on my 100 series last week. I know the winch isn't going to be super useful without some accessories to go with it but I'm not entirely sure what I need. I know the list could get long so I'm looking at just the essentials for now and will pick up other things down the road as budget allows.

I just ordered 2 Crosby 3/4" shackles.

I'm thinking I probably should also pick up a tree strap, a snatch block and maybe either/both a recovery strap and a snatch strap?

The budget is slim after just doing the bumper/winch and I'm wondering where, if anywhere, is it OK to skimp on some of these vs buying top notch stuff. Is the less expensive smittybilt OK in some situations where the more expensive ARB (or whatever other brand) is really suggested in others?

Also, I see that the tree straps come in different sizes/lengths. What's usually recommended there?

Specific make/model would be awesome if you don't mind sharing what you've had good luck with or know to be trust worthy.

The ARB kit (more money) comes with a Kinetic strap something to consider and should have as a part of any recovery set up. Something to think about, 90% of recoveries do not require a winch and many times a winch can be useless in a limited traction situation were only a Kinetic strap or rope will do.

That is very true. I really don't know what I'm doing. Hoping to make it to some of the local meetups this summer but until then I'd still like to be prepared.

You should buy in addition to the "D" ring shackles a long tree saver strap and a snatch block.

The recovery strap will be used infrequently if you have a recovery winch.

Getting instruction on the proper way to rig up winch lines, and how to operate the winch safely is a must. A local Land Cruiser or 4x4 club is an option; also, there are some great training videos done by Bill Burke of 4Wheeling America.

-Alan

Recovery strap vs winch use - I've used a strap waaaay more than the winch. Straps are best when you're out with friends (wheeling alone is not the best idea) as they are much faster and easier to employ. Winches are best when you've really screwed the pooch and gotten in over your head , friends present or not.

It's better when your friends are the ones in need of aid too!

What you need to carry depends primarily on YOU. Where you are, what kind of wheeling you plan to do, how many other vehicles you plan to wheel with & what they carry... So your best move is to WAIT until you can meet up with some locals, find the ones who do what you want to do, and ask them what equipment they prefer to haul around. Buying the stuff that Warn or some other company wants to sell won't necessarily get you the best equipment for your needs at the lowest price.

If your "wheeling" consists of gravel roads leading to praries, then you could get away with nearly nothing. And that's actually a really GOOD way to start wheeling. But if you plan to dive off into the deep end of driving up waterfalls & crawling over boulders, you'll need a support vehicle with parts & equipment.

My advice is: start off easy, and just learn to enjoy the scenery. Don't look for the hardest line there is - look for the best place to go, and see if you can get there in 2WD. If you get stuck, put it in 4, back out, put it back in 2, and look for another line or trail. You won't break or need your winch nearly as often, and you'll spend less money seeing more interesting stuff.

When you find a location that you just CAN'T reach, bring a few friends with tents & recovery gear, and take turns looking for the easiest way up & back.

But spend the time up to that point READING & watching. Some really good books are the US Army field manuals (p.160 of FM 21-305 and all of FM20-22).

Nice block made in the US.

Bailey's 4.5 Ton Snatch Block

Add a couple of tree straps as well as a good set of gloves and your good to get started.

Pete

Hard to go wrong with WARN or ARB. I purchased the WARN winch kit 20 years ago and never regretted it.

Same here on 2 Warn kits in my Z71 and 40. I have also had them for a long time and if you take care of them they will last forever. I have added shackles, chains and straps over time. Buy quality to start and you will won't have to buy again. Start with the Winch kit add a ARB tire deflate kit, ARB tire repair kit, and then just add things as you find you need it or see what others are carrying. Once you learn how to properly use your winch there are a million uses for them other than just vehicle recovery.

One item everyone seems to overlook - gloves.
I carry really heavy welding gloves with gauntlet wrist protectors. Feeding wire rope and
handling shackles and snatch blocks is really hard on fingers and skin.
Also, line weight for wire rope.

I carry a lot of recovery gear. I believe that if you have a winch you should carry at least enough gear to do a redirected pull, that is when there is not an anchor that will provide at least close to a straight pull. Basically winch line as straight forward as possible to a block held in place by a Shackle at the end of a tow strap anchored to an off angle tree. dead end of winch line runs the other direction to a shackle/tree saver to a tree.

Thats
1- heavy duty tow strap
1-tree saver
2-shackles
1-block

Double that and add a couple shackles and you'll be set for most anything, for winching at least.

My Warn X8000i will be 22 years old this November

I rarely use it but I have 100% confidence when I need it like this past weekend. Buy quality if you need to depend on it. It will be there when you need and work for a long time.

IMG_5719[1].JPG

2soft shackles
2bow shackles(for connecting extensions and tree savers)
1 bridal
25' 3/4" kinetic rope
2 tree savers
25' winch line ext
20k snatch block
Line protector/cover
Gloves

The soft shackles have taken the place of my bow shackles for most all connection needs. Lightweight, equally strong and easy on connection points, and safe (but mainly because they are light). I recently learned a technique of incorporating 25' kinetic rope in the recovery line. Beyond the intended use, As an in-line extension, the kinetic stretch action provides a dampening effect. The bridal has been effective centralizing/equalizing load on attachment points for front end pulls.

Fwiw SE overland has a good selection of in-house manufactured soft shackles, kinetic rope and line extensions.

We found a receiver shackle mount to be quite useful - centers the force on the pulling vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom