Warn 12k, Stock Bumper, How To (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey y'all. Just making sure this thingy still works.

Yeah, I'm still around. Same old 100 series and FJ40. The FJ40 is undergoing a very loooooong "rebuild" currently.

Anyway, as for the winch... it may surprise a few of you that after 20 or so recoveries & 8 or so years no one was maimed and not a creak was suffered as the M12000 grunted stranded motorist after stranded motorist from the highways of Utah and California. It's still going strong and in the same form it was built in on this thread. Steel is a lot stronger than some armchair engineers might give it credit for.

If ya want to see her currently check out my Toyota Insta. @teq_adventures

Right now it's on the North Slope of Alaska after a long trek from Utah. When I get finished working next month I'll drive her back down to Anchorage.

Peace out!

Nice! Im going this route with a smittybuilt xrc 9.5 and a winch plate from TJM. I have been searching for a hawse fairlead for steel cable. Did yours come with the winch? Is there a part # you can provide?

Nice work btw.

FYi, among the aftermarket bumper options for this winch, the Slee bumper is a good choice. The bumper allows it to be secured in all four feet down, as well as the front two mounting holes. It only requires clocking the clutch about 30 degrees to be able reach the lever. I mounted the solenoid pack on the motor.

My M12k has been a workhorse for most of 7yrs but one day went to use it and click... then nothing. Found that the screw terminals on the light-gauge wiring in the solenoid pack had pretty much dissolved from rust. Replaced it with a WARN solid state contactor pack and located up in the engine bay. Good for another 7 years I hope.

Hey y'all. Just making sure this thingy still works.

Yeah, I'm still around. Same old 100 series and FJ40. The FJ40 is undergoing a very loooooong "rebuild" currently.

Anyway, as for the winch... it may surprise a few of you that after 20 or so recoveries & 8 or so years no one was maimed and not a creak was suffered as the M12000 grunted stranded motorist after stranded motorist from the highways of Utah and California. It's still going strong and in the same form it was built in on this thread. Steel is a lot stronger than some armchair engineers might give it credit for.

If ya want to see her currently check out my Toyota Insta. @teq_adventures

Right now it's on the North Slope of Alaska after a long trek from Utah. When I get finished working next month I'll drive her back down to Anchorage.

Peace out!
That's funny. I randomly came across your instagram and wondered "How in the heck did that guy get his winch behind his stock bumper?" A subsequent forum search led me directly to your actual build thread. Really great writeup and impressive work. Definitely beyond my capabilities though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom