FJ40 Pics from "Back in the day" (70's, 80's) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found another picture from the past. Our 1970 FJ55 some where in northern Montana near Glacier.
Dogs name was Kiwi and lived for 18 years. Picked here up as a stray.
Still married to the same wonderful gal 37 years and counting.
Picture probably taken around 1979.
Early Warn 8274 with cable operation. Basically stock with F engine and 3 speed converted from column to floor.
Truck was sold and V8 and automatic installed in mid 80's

Thanks jb
FJ55.jpg

Cool thanks for posting
Love this thread

Found another picture from the past. Our 1970 FJ55 some where in northern Montana near Glacier.
Early Warn 8274 with cable operation. Basically stock with F engine and 3 speed converted from column to floor.

Thanks jb
View attachment 1191345

Thanks jb
View attachment 1191345

I think what's cool about these photos is that even back in their prime people understood what special vehicles they were.

Ran across some old pictures last week while looking for something else.
Pics from a day of 4-wheeling on timberland in southern New Jersey around 1985.

My friend Jon had the FJ40, mine was the CJ7.
If I remember, the Landcruiser was a 1977 or '78. At the time only a 7 or 8 year old truck.

Didn't notice it until I scanned the pictures but the girl who would later become my wife is peering over the windshield of the stalled Jeep.

old fj40 pics.jpg

old fj40 pics 2.jpg

Interesting, part of Wrigley gum family lives here in town, the family at one time owned a good part of Catalina Island . ......and guess what they all drive, white 200 series and have had cruisers forever. really nice folks, the daughter has asked me to find them a 60 series and they wanted a 40 for a delivery rig for the little general store they have in town.

Found this picture of a FJ40 used as a Sheriffs patrol car in Catalina Island back in the 90's .
I thought it was the coolest thing.
View attachment 968315

looks to be..

Man, I was looking for this thread a few weeks back, but couldn't find it on my phone.
Anyway, here's the Cruuser that hooked me. The pic is my sister with some of her friends. They're about 6 in this picture. I'd have been around 3. One of my earliest memories is crawling in the back, swing the jump seats and just thinking it was the coolest vehicle ever. Guess I never really got over that.
IMG_0488.PNG

That's a cool pic from whistler. Whistler creekside
Showing the old gondola building. I worked in that building for 3 years. Good times I also lived across the street from that parking lot. To bad it wasn't my cruiser in tha pic that would of been cool. I see two in that pic and neither of them are mine. Pretty sure that pic was taken befor I ever worked in whistler. I bought my second cruise from a guy up in whistler. This pic brings back a lot of great memories.

Saw this a few months ago in a shop in Whistler Village. Looked really cool and unfortunately it's a 'picture of a picture.' Is that a Nissan Patrol near the one FJ 40?

View attachment 1491015

Let me introduce you to Lurch. We purchased him in Dallas in the spring of 1979. Sold him in 1998. One of the most stupid things we every did. The first picture in at the top of St. Mary's Glacier. The road was on an old map we had. Doubt anybody had been on it in years. Got to a spot where the boulders were almost as big as Lurch. Only choice was up and over.

Next picture is the Needles Eye Tunnel which was an old train route going into what is now Winter Park. It collapsed in the '80s.

Next picture was at our house in Estes Park back in the early '80s. It took us two days to dig out. Low temp was -36F. Did get above freezing for two weeks.

Next picture is Lurch as a float for the July 4th parade at the YMCA of the Rockies. He was embarrassed to be dress up in a tutu.

Lurch is his prime!

Lurch002.jpg

Lurch003.jpg

Lurch006.jpg

Lurch004.jpg

Lurch005.jpg

I saw a few 90s pics so I thought I'd add mine in there. I took this pic in Harrisonburg VA...circa 91. I spotted this truck in a junkyard(it was a used car lot but I don't think anything ran in that lot). Bought it for $700. I was in love with it. My buddies and I enjoyed the old 71 for our years in school and after. Lots of camping trips....trail adventures and daily driving duty for years and years. Brought her all the way to FL when I moved here. It was my only vehicle for a long time....and that's hard to do in FL with the rains we have here in the summer....especially with out a top. That was the joy of this truck in my mind.

About 7 years ago I had a chance to trade her for a very custom high dollar fishing boat. Foolishly, I traded it away. Ripped my heart out the day they loaded it up and took it away but I was moving forward with other parts of my life and business and the old truck wasn't getting used.

I saw it on ebay about 2 months ago in CO....my eyes fell out of my head......negotiated for a month or so. On Sunday July 2nd, my beloved truck arrived on a transporter all the way from CO. She's back and she's staying this time. She came back nearly exactly as she left 7 years ago....needless to say the truck has 'evolved' quite a bit from that pic back in 91.

Scan 36#1.jpeg

20170702_084055_HDR-01#1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom