2017 Rubithon Wagon Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know Kade "Pooz" made it in to the Springs today. He said they had to winch in a few places and cut some trees out of the way. I haven't got a detailed report from him yet. I'll share when I do.

Actually I have seen this guy up there, blue Land Rover set up OK. He's usually leaving up Cadillac as we are dropping in early in the week for Rubithon so his dates match what he did in previous years, FWIW which aint much.

I signed up! Never been on the Rubicon before so I'm pretty excited to go as long as my work doesn't get in the way.

Is it typically muddy if there's a lot of runoff or mostly just water on rocks/gravel? I'm trying to decide on what to get setup for the trip. I signed up for the wagon run in my '15 4runner. I currently have toyo AT2's on it and don't really have a great need for mud tires otherwise. AT's generally have great traction on slick-rock where I spend most my time because they're designed for similar surfaces - but if it's going to be really muddy I may try to buy a set of MTs for the trip.

Also I was kinda thinking it would be clear by then - but should I bring along a chain saw? I'd rather not due to the messy, stinkyness of it in my daily driver if 10 other people already have them, but I can wrap it up in a bag if you guys think it'll be worthwhile to have along. I don't know if it's even legal to have in California without a license of some sort.

Both Eric Smith and friends went in this weekend from Tahoma and here are their Pre-Run reports:

This first came in from Eric Smith:

We made it in from Tahoma. Cadillac is pretty dry for the most part. There was no water bar needed at the log. I found one bathroom on the way into the springs that’s a bit beat up and there a few in dirty dozen that need work/replacement. There are also a lot of downed trees in dirty dozen. We did a lot of clearing trees on the trail. It is definitely possible to make it through, but I wouldn't recommend it for those not as experienced. There are still plenty of spots with lots of snow and water. It is melting fast though.

Also, we have 4 rigs broken down on the trail including mine. Two blown motors (mine being one of them) and two with front end issues. We are trying to work on getting those out next weekend. . I am probably going to have to do an engine swap in there, I don't think I will be able to get mine towed out. Mine is at the bottom of Cadillac near the water hole on the springs side, there is another one on Cadillac and two more in the snowy parts near miller.

There were a lot of people that went from loon to buck just fine. Buck has so much water and it rises at night. It is best to camp higher up away from the water.

Also, when driving out Tahoma side, when approaching the big water hole that separates Cadillac from the Springs, people need to stay to the left through the trees, if you go straight; you will submerge your truck and in cases like mine, blow your motor.

The other is from Kade Hendrick “Pooz”

We made it in all the way to the Springs from Tahoma side. Looks like others have already gone in and cleared some of the trees. We had to cut it more like for buggies. Our rigs had 37” and 40” tires.

Two biggest issues:

1 – A 5’ bolder at the base of Morris Rock on Cadillac. We were able to crawl over it, but wagons would likely do a lot of body damage to get through.

To put things in perspective, I’m running 37’s and the drop is 2.5 times my tire.

This will need to be moved!

2 – There is a pool on the trail before the Cemetery, the area that is often a mud bug. Well right now it’s about 4’ deep.

There will be several work parties between now and Rubithon, so we should be good to go by then. If you go in early, be prepared, and I’d recommend using a long stick to sound the water before crossing.

Somewhat to my surprise, neither mentioned anything about crossing over Miller. Since they both go through to the Springs, I’m guessing it is ok, but cannot confirm.

Photos can be found on Rubithon's Facebook page. Having problems posting the videos.

I signed up! Never been on the Rubicon before so I'm pretty excited to go as long as my work doesn't get in the way.

Is it typically muddy if there's a lot of runoff or mostly just water on rocks/gravel? I'm trying to decide on what to get setup for the trip. I signed up for the wagon run in my '15 4runner. I currently have toyo AT2's on it and don't really have a great need for mud tires otherwise. AT's generally have great traction on slick-rock where I spend most my time because they're designed for similar surfaces - but if it's going to be really muddy I may try to buy a set of MTs for the trip.

Also I was kinda thinking it would be clear by then - but should I bring along a chain saw? I'd rather not due to the messy, stinkyness of it in my daily driver if 10 other people already have them, but I can wrap it up in a bag if you guys think it'll be worthwhile to have along. I don't know if it's even legal to have in California without a license of some sort.
@Jetboy that's cool that you're going to give it a go. Rest assured we'll do what we can to help you get through as cleanly as possible. You've clearly thought it through and are ok with the possible outcomes. I wouldn't go buy MT's just for this. Sure it will be wet and muddy in places but if that's an issue the winch can come out (you've got a winch, right????). Lots of others will be on AT's. Safe travels and see you at Loon Lake!

Happy to be able to say that TLCA is again refocusing on acknowledging the Member of the Year and Business of the Year.

While these are not Rubithon awards, we will be announcing and presenting plaques to not only the Hall of Fame inductees, but also the 2016 Member of the Year and Business of the year, since Rubithon is its hosted event.

We are working on having a tab put on the TLCA webpage that list all past recipients of these awards, but this will not be completed until after Rubithon.

See you in 18 days, and it’s not too late to sign up! Here’s the link: Rubithon Registration | The Official Toyota Land Cruiser Association Annual Event

Eric

chairman@rubithon.com

530-401-0800

Glad to report that Eric Smith and friends were able to get all 4 of their rigs out this weekend.

Eric reports that snow is melting fast, but still very deep water. Also to be careful, that several snakes were seen.

Pictures can be found on our Rubithon Facebook page: Rubithon

@Jetboy that's cool that you're going to give it a go. Rest assured we'll do what we can to help you get through as cleanly as possible. You've clearly thought it through and are ok with the possible outcomes. I wouldn't go buy MT's just for this. Sure it will be wet and muddy in places but if that's an issue the winch can come out (you've got a winch, right????). Lots of others will be on AT's. Safe travels and see you at Loon Lake!

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely aware of the risks. Just don't want to be the one vehicle holding up the train all week. I do have a winch. Trying to decide on how to build a temporary rear bumper skid plate. That's where I'm most vulnerable to trail damage.

We're coming up Tuesday and planning on spending the night at Loon Lake so we can be at the staging area at 7am. Any suggestions on where to camp? Google maps shows a Red Fir campground just near the dam. Anyone else spending the night in the vicinity.

I want to put it out there that this is our first time on the Rubicon and the first run for this FJ60. We're looking for all the help we can get.

We're coming up Tuesday and planning on spending the night at Loon Lake so we can be at the staging area at 7am. Any suggestions on where to camp? Google maps shows a Red Fir campground just near the dam. Anyone else spending the night in the vicinity.

I want to put it out there that this is our first time on the Rubicon and the first run for this FJ60. We're looking for all the help we can get.
A small group of us camped on the rocks just below the dam last year. Tuesday you could probably easily get a site at one of the many campgrounds nearby.

Thanks.

I will also be arriving late on Tuesday. Best case scenario is rolling out of Utah around noon, meaning I'd probably arrive sometime around 10 or 11pm. Having never been I think I'd be best off to drive all the way to Loon Lake and sleep there rather than try to sleep Tahoe and get up at 4am to make sure I'm at Loon by 7. If I get there early enough I'll try to meet up with some of you. Probably just sleep in my 4runner at one of the campgrounds otherwise.

My cell is 707 484 5264 - text me if you are arriving earlier. We're in the blue FJ60 pictures in my Avatar. If you see us, feel free and pull in next to us.

I'd second going all the way to Loon Lake. The road from highway 50 into Loon Lake is full of campgrounds. It takes about 50 minutes (according to the instructions we got) to get from highway 50 to the staging area.

My cell is 707 484 5264 - text me if you are arriving earlier. We're in the blue FJ60 pictures in my Avatar. If you see us, feel free and pull in next to us.

I'd second going all the way to Loon Lake. The road from highway 50 into Loon Lake is full of campgrounds. It takes about 50 minutes (according to the instructions we got) to get from highway 50 to the staging area.
An hour or so from the highway is about right, if you don't stop to check stuff out. It takes me all day.

:lol:

So today I changed out my rear springs for some 863's and then helped @trout bum get his brand new come up winch installed. Now we're decompressing at high hops brewery in Windsor Colorado.

Hitting the road at 3 am tomorrow! Trying to make reno 5 or 6ish. Then to my parents house on friday
IMG_4305.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

IMG_4306.JPG

:smokin:

Since it is virtually impossible for an 80 to get through clean I lay down my gauntlet to prove me wrong. :)

So today I changed out my rear springs for some 863's and then helped @trout bum get his brand new come up winch installed. Now we're decompressing at high hops brewery in Windsor Colorado.

Hitting the road at 3 am tomorrow! Trying to make reno 5 or 6ish. Then to my parents house on friday

Looking forward to seeing you both. Uncle Steve2 @trout bum should bring his flyrod. There is excellent trout fishing in the outlet from Loon Lake. It's just all Sierra 8 inchers if that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom