“Buddy,” my FJ45lpb, the backstory, trip, getting the rig going (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey mate,

Great work. I wish Aussie trucks were as dry and rust free as the NA ones. With that channel - can you drill a hole on the rear of it [as opposed to the underside] big enough for a rubber plug and make the Eastwood Spray Mission an annual event?

After the frame shop has a whack at your frame and before you have it blasted I would put sacrificial bolts in any threaded holes in the frame. They will protect the threads from damage by the blasting and being clogged with paint or powder coating.

Hey mate,

Great work. I wish Aussie trucks were as dry and rust free as the NA ones. With that channel - can you drill a hole on the rear of it [as opposed to the underside] big enough for a rubber plug and make the Eastwood Spray Mission an annual event?

I think that would work. The channel is about 1.5 inches in depth. Across measures about 2.25 inches. I like the idea of tapping into the side to gain access. When the Eastwood paint arrives, I will know what I am dealing with, hole wise. Thx for the idea, Cult45.

PS. So true, some parts of the US are great for avoiding rust, but you, my down-under friend, live in the land of diesel powered LCs, like the LC70. Sweet!

Last edited:
After the frame shop has a whack at your frame and before you have it blasted I would put sacrificial bolts in any threaded holes in the frame. They will protect the threads from damage by the blasting and being clogged with paint or powder coating.

Is it common for media blasting to do damage to threaded holes? Due to scheduling, I dropped it off to the media blasting business today. How concerned should I be? I can probably get access to it before they blast it. Will take the shop about a week before they do it. Thx.

After blasting, galvanizing and paint I drilled and tapped every hole in the frame. It all worked fine.

I didn't have any problems from media blasting with any of my threaded holes on the frame, It actually helped them in most cases. We also ran a tap through each hole afterwards.

I'm probably a half banana :banana: shade tree mechanic, so I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.

That it's the 4th of July and I live in the good old USA, I've got just the photo with the 45 cab in the foreground.

Much that I am thankful for.

P7040017.jpg

It's been a while. Shut down last winter and most of this summer. Needed a little kick to get going again. When I first began this effort, wise cruiserheads told me to just get 'er going - drive it. Not sure I would have done it differently but NOW have a great appreciation for that approach. The egg is broke and since my last post ...

-Frame blasted, straightened (very slightly bent), and painted
-Cab cleaned and wet sanded to remove topical rust; underside wire wheel brushed, painted
-Tranny/xfer rebuilt (some gears chewed up pretty good
-Engine at the machine shop waiting (since last Oct) for a useable head
-OME springs installed
-Axles torn down

From last Summer. Frame to the sand blaster ...
P7020001.JPG

P7020002.JPG

Next, to the frame shop, to verify and, if not, straighten the frame (was slightly bent). Frame straight and GTG.
P7130004.jpg

Home again ... Harbor Freight's $11 dollys have been immensely useful
P8120008.jpg

Overall, the frame is in great shape, save for some corrosion inside the frame rail. Scraped and used pressurized water to get at what the sand blaster did not. Water and a sand blasted frame? Just a little a** backwards. No matter - Rust Bullet and Eastwood paint adore flash rust.

P8120009.jpg

P8120011.jpg

P8190039.jpg

P8190040.jpg

P8190041.jpg

Last edited:
Started with applying paint to the inside of the frame rails. To do this I used Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating rattle can with a 24" extension spray tip. My first attempts made it clear that I needed to suspend the end of the spay tip or I would continue to bathe the bottom of the inside of the frame rail. A rattle can top was about the right height, although I had to reduce the width a bit. Still better was some PVC pipe.

Prep first. Cover holes, paint escape routes.
P8270076.jpg

P8200046.jpg

P8200044.jpg

Cheap and effective
P8200047.jpg

PVC pipe worked better.
P8200051.jpg

A few more pics of the internal paint work ...

P8200045.jpg

P8200052.jpg

Worked pretty well
P8270077.jpg

Next up ... applying paint to the external frame. Looked at a few options, settled on Rust Bullet, using a silver base coat and black top (shell) coat. Silver base coat is designed to work on rust, for which I had a bit of flash rust, as the first pic below readily shows. If you like silver, you can stop there. Needs no topcoat. I tell ya, this base coat strongly bonded to the frame. Pics show about done.

P8250060.jpg

Had to come back and paint some areas I didn't quite complete the first time around.
P8250056.jpg

P8250058.jpg

Another spot I missed (shock mount). This would occur more than I cared to remember.
P8250057.jpg

P8250059.jpg

Looks good!

Next up ... top coat

P8290082.jpg

To get to the underside, used the engine lift
P8250062.jpg

P8290084.jpg

P8290087.jpg

P8290088.jpg

Top coat complete, after I addressed the many places I missed. :bang: Won't be quitting my day job.

So ... would I do it this way again? No way. I would powder coat it. Rust Bullet isn't the cheapest paint and I spent hours with a paint brush for a result I give myself a grade of C, maybe B-. All part of the journey, I guess. Nice to have this step of the rebuild process checked off and future rust no longer a concern.

P9030005.jpg

P9030006.jpg

P9030008.jpg

P9030007.jpg

P9030010.jpg

A post of silence for a divorce of sorts ... my purchased new 1996 T100 that I sold a few months ago (June 2018) with 250K on the odo and still running like a top. Toyota replaced the head gaskets at 16K as part of a recall, even though I had no issues (yet) with the heads. Otherwise, it was primarily change the filters and fluids, and, occasionally, the timing belt.

I beat the h**l out of that machine, driving all over the Colorado Rockies and beyond on some nasty 4x4 forest trails. Never, ever, let me down. Took less than 24 hours to sell it. I miss that truck but it was time for a new chapter with a new owner.

Walked out of John Elway Toyota less $24,100 Nov 1996. I call that a bargain for the trouble free memories that truck gave me the next 22 years.
P1010018.jpg

Pics just before it was sold. My kids called it "Big Red."
P1010023.jpg

P1010024.jpg

P1010027.jpg

P1010030.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a while. Shut down last winter and most of this summer. Needed a little kick to get going again. When I first began this effort, wise cruiserheads told me to just get 'er going - drive it. Not sure I would have done it differently but NOW have a great appreciation for that approach. The egg is broke and since my last post ...

-Frame blasted, straightened (very slightly bent), and painted
-Cab cleaned and wet sanded to remove topical rust; underside wire wheel brushed, painted
-Tranny/xfer rebuilt (some gears chewed up pretty good
-Engine at the machine shop waiting (since last Oct) for a useable head
-OME springs installed
-Axles torn down

From last Summer. Frame to the sand blaster ...
View attachment 1798382

View attachment 1798383

Next, to the frame shop, to verify and, if not, straighten the frame (was slightly bent). Frame straight and GTG.
View attachment 1798405

Home again ... Harbor Freight's $11 dollys have been immensely useful
View attachment 1798453
I got me some that were on sale at Harbor for 7.99 just love them use them for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom