Andy's Taco build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Dan. I'm sure it'll just get more as time goes on! I have been trying to decide what to do back there anyhow.

Do you still have ole' blue?

Andy

If you mean the '40, yes. I've been out of the game until I can hopefully overcome some medical issues.

Tried factory flares on today. They kinda bolt up - have seen some guys use 3m adhesive strips where the clips are on later model trucks.

These have to go back on the parts truck if I repair it, but I think I am going to try to find a set.

20170526_154635.jpg
20170526_154721.jpg

I never used clips or 3m tape. Just the bolt holes. It was fine.

Thanks!

Picked up a welcome few parts this AM. Don't think I can make it too much longer without!

View attachment 1287522

8 days short of a year later, and the AC is in and charged! It blows nice and cold. I think Roscoe and I will be much happier on the trail this year.

Not looking like I am going to get the elocker axle in and wired before Coal Mine though....

Need to install new front brakes and I am all set to go. Less than 2 weeks left!

8 days short of a year later, and the AC is in and charged! It blows nice and cold. I think Roscoe and I will be much happier on the trail this year.

Not looking like I am going to get the elocker axle in and wired before Coal Mine though....

Need to install new front brakes and I am all set to go. Less than 2 weeks left!

If you bring me the 3rd member I'd be happy to set it up for you some night after I'm done work.

If you bring me the 3rd member I'd be happy to set it up for you some night after I'm done work.
I don't think it needs set up. He's probably swapping the entire axle.
@caz just get it under the truck. You can pull the motor and use a screw driver to lock it for the weekend. Then reinstall the motor to keep water out.

That is a very generous offer, thanks! Andy is right though - I'm swapping the whole axle from another truck.

I'd like to clean it up and paint it first too. Don't think I am gonna get to it this time.

That is a very generous offer, thanks! Andy is right though - I'm swapping the whole axle from another truck.

I'd like to clean it up and paint it first too. Don't think I am gonna get to it this time.
Think how much more fun twister would be with a locker. You can clean it then let the kids paint it. Kids love to paint. You can work on the brakes in the meantime. These hood days make paint dry fast.

Silly little mod, but it has always bugged me! Discovered this little gem on the Tacomaworld forum. Only took about 15 minutes to complete.

The washer reservoir hangs down now that I have my nice new bumper

20170824_163424.jpg

I yanked the cover inside of the wheel well and dropped the old reservoir

20170824_165802.jpg

The new one bolts to existing bolt holes in the inner fender! Plug from the truck works fine on this reservoir, wires and hose even reach!

20170824_165733.jpg

Much better!

20170824_171701.jpg

Also finally pulled the e-locker axle from the 2001 truck I bought. I will be putting it into the '96. It is pretty crusty - going to tear it down and have the housing sand blasted and powder coated.

The backing plates are shot (rust) - need to replace them soon.

It almost makes me sad to replace my pristine still-black axle with this crusty thing!

20170823_213829.jpg

My thoughts exactly. After the reading I have done on this, I am none too anxious to tackle it! Seems that many have had issues getting the inner axle seal to seat correctly.

My plan for now is just to do the housing and put it under there to get it back on the road and then do the bearings and backing plates this winter....

Last edited:
That little red wagon just keeps getting better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my current "speed" in life. I couldn't begin to tackle a project like the 40 right now, but I enjoy little projects that I can squeeze in when I have time.

On a VERY happy note, the parts truck is GONE! I broke even so I pretty much got the locking axle for free - except for the $$ to refurbish it....

Made some progress this weekend.... sort of...

This axle is a train wreck!! It makes me sad - my old axle still had the paint on the rust-free backing plates. Well, here's to progress!

20170904_123039.jpg

The rear diff cover looked to me like it had some pin holes and was weeping when it was on the truck.
I don't want to do this twice, so I ordered this -

thumbnail.asp

I cut off the flimsy stock cover today, so I hope the lead time is not too long!

Like a can opener!

20170904_101458.jpg

Cover off and ground smooth (5 cut off wheels and a flap disk later) -

20170904_112015.jpg

Amazing what a little elbow grease, simple green and a pressure washer will do! Once the new diff cover is on I will take the housing to be sand blasted and powder coated.

20170904_123235.jpg

Also planning to do a u-bolt flip while I am at it.

I also ordered these from Ruff Stuff to mount my shocks since the current mounts are on the ubolt plates.

R1988-8-full.jpg

Last edited:
While you have it that far apart, either weld the drain plug in or cut it out and plate the bottom of the housing. You can install bolts in place of the bottom two studs to drain it in the future. I have come very close to ripping my plug out several times to, the point that it would no longer stay tight. Currently fully welded shut to keep it from falling out. Next housing will be shaved and plated like my front axle is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom