Builds A few mods from 7-25-06 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ARB Intensity LED Lightbar Installed 3-3-2017

When I saw this lightbar last year in development I knew I was going to get one as it will compliment the two ARB Intensity LED round light I had installed on my ARB front bumper over the summer.

This has the same beam pattern, spot on the left side, and flood on the right side like my round lights.
Like the round lights, the lightbar is designed by ARB, but actually made by Rigid Industries in the USA, so you know it is of the most excellent high quality.

I talked with John the owner of Auburn Car Repair & Offroad earlier in the week, and the wiring harnesses had just shown up on Wednesday at ARB headquarters which is a few blocks away from John's shop.
I do believe I may be the first rig in the USA to have these, but not 100% sure.
ARB had another lightbar on display in their showroom, but no harness for it yet late last year.

These lights will burn your retinas for sure, so they are not for use at all if you have traffic in front of you or coming at you.
I have been using my round ones on the way into work in the wee hours of the morning when there is no traffic, and it is light night and day compared to just the stock headlights.

Will try and get a video at a later date in the dark and update my thread with it.
I could go with another one on top of my rack by the BajaRack spoiler, but I had bad experience years ago with my '91 4RUnner with Hella 500s up there, it reflected off the hood, they were pretty much useless, but they looked cool
laugh.gif

Links:

ARB Intensity LED 20 Inch LED Light Bar - Combo Beam (AR40CARMP)

Auburn Car Repair & Offroad

Video from ARB they just released March 2nd 2017:

Pictures:

1.jpg

Upper switch is for the lightbar, middle switch is for the rocklights, and the bottom switch is for the round ARB lights, and with the key on, the switches light up green when the lights are off
Some of you may remember the upper switch was for the round ones, and I wanted the tech to put the new lightbar switch above the old one, but alas there was no room.
So he swapped the wires on the first switch over to the new lightbar since the lightbar is higher up on the bumper than the round ones.
Worked out great!

2.jpg

When the lights are turned on, the switches light up amber

3.jpg

All LED lights off

4.jpg

Upper lightbar on only

5.jpg

Both the lightbar and round lights on

6.jpg

Headlights turned on too on low, they do not stand a chance to outshine these ARB Intensity LED lights

Added Rotopax Fuel Can 3-4-2017

Took off one of my 2 gallon Rotopax water jerry cans, and swapped in a 2 gallon fuel can.
Having the two water ones would be nice, but still not enough H2O for a long camping trip, so I will still have to carry water inside the rig.

I figure it might not be a bad idea to carry a little extra fuel, that is about 32 miles worth of fuel if I get low.

Link:

2 Gallon Gasoline

Pictures:

7.jpg

8.jpg

Relocated Fire Extinguisher And Mounted Fiskars Axe 3-19-2017

Took the fire extinguisher off of my Springtail Solutions rack/table from my rear door, and relocated it to the Springtail Mpac Siderack next to the Powertank.
With it in the other location, I had to take it out of its holder whenever I wanted to put the table down to do any cooking on the rear table.

Also picked up a Fiskars X15 chopping axe at 23.5" long.
I like the axe after watching videos and seeing reviews on it, as it has a wedge shape in the head which helps with splitting firewood.
All set now for campfire wood duties with the small Gerber Bear Grylls hatchet I picked up over the winter for kindling, and the Katanaboy folding saw for sawing up downed limbs/logs.

I had some Quick-Fist mounts from some Four Trek mounts I use to use on the stock roof rack when I had an axe and shovel mounted up there oh so long ago.
I did move the first aid kit to the far right, it was over to the left some before, but I had to move it so the axe would clear.

I was also able to keep the Molle bag on the rear door that holds the two new small backpacking type stoves I just got, a couple of fuel bottles, a small MSR cookpot, and plastic silverware.
The table folds down now with no problems with having to remove anything first like I did before with the fire extinguisher.

Links:

Fiskars X15 Chopping Axe, 23.5-Inch

GERBER Bear Grylls Survival Hatchet

Silky KatanaBoy Professional Series, 500mm XL Teeth

Pictures:

1.jpg

Quickfist mounts bolted to the rack

2.jpg

Fiskar axe all mounted up

3.jpg

Table down with the two stoves, and a few pots on them I picked up over the winter
I often use those inside my home as they are non stick, and very light weight.

4.jpg

Shot with the Gerber hatchet and Katanaboy 500 saw

5.jpg

Another shot of the hatchet and Katanaboy

6.jpg

The Adventure Tool Company Toolroll sure came in handy today

7.jpg

With the Molle bag back in place again on the rack

1.jpg

Fire extinguisher in its new home, only the 4th time it has been relocated, and hopefully the last

Eezi-Awn Bat 270 Awning Installed 4-21-2017

Been a month since the last mod.

I have had the Campinglabs awning on my rig since spring of 2008 shortly after I got my Autohome Maggiolina Airlander roof top tent installed.
The awning has been very nice to have, but kind of a PITA to setup on some of the solo trips I have gone on.

Within the past year of so I have seen these 270 degree awnings pop up on forums, and there are a few brands out there.
I am already a fan of Eezi-Awn gear as I have two of their tables I keep in the rig full time which I use one for the chuckbox, the other for dining at.

I bought the awning from Paul May of Equipt Expeditions in Utah, and it had been stored on my living room floor for three plus weeks.
I attempted to install it a few weeks back with the help of a couple that lives next door, but we could not get it aligned up, and quite frankly I am glad we had a snag.
The awning is much heavier than the Campinglabs one, and Paul and BajaRacks had warned me it might bend the BajaRacks awning mounts outwards with the additional weight of this new awning.

Jason the tech at Auburn Off-Road put it on, and indeed it was a little heavy.
But not to worry, him and John the owner of the shop said they could either weld a gusset in there much like you see on a pair of rock sliders, or tie a flat piece of metal stock in there and tie the Eezi-Awn bracket to the horizontal part of the BajaRacks awning bracket together, same as gusseting it.
And it worked!

If I need more stability, I still have the middle BajaRacks awning bracket on the roof rack, but the Eezi-Awn awnings only utilize two positions.
Paul sells the brackets, and if needed, Jason could make up a third piece and tie it in, but we really do not think that will need to be done at this time.
I will keep my eye on it and see how it is holding up.

This awning is such a joy to deploy, as you just walk around the rig with the strap and the awning unfolds for you.
This is a free standing awning, but if rain or wind is expected, it has built in legs you can extend and stake to the ground to make it more stable.
Instead of me making a video of it opening (I may if I get time later) here is a video of Paul May opening the same awning, but his is installed on the right side of the rig instead of the left like mine is.
The make both a left and right hand version, they are not interchangeable from side to side.

Links:

Eezi-Awn Bat 270 Awning Left Hand Side (Driver)

Auburn Car Repair & Offroad

Pictures:

1.jpg

Stock BajaRacks awning bracket in the middle, and the Eezi-Awn bracket bolted to the one on the left

2.jpg

Closeup of the Eezi-Awn bracket

3.jpg

Modified bracket so it would mate to the BajaRack bracket

4.jpg

Both Eezi-Awn brackets bolted up

5.jpg

You can see the extra metal piece Jason fabbed up that ties the back of the Eezi-Awn bracket, and it goes over the long outer tube of the BajaRack that holds the tent, and it ties into the top and bolts though the BajaRack awning mount

6.jpg

Side shot of the very dirty rig with the new awning all zipped up

7.jpg

Case unzipped, and the canvas hanging down before you grab the strap and go for a walk around the rig to open it up

8.jpg

Awning deployed, no legs down yet, and it seemed pretty stable with a light breeze

9.jpg

I had to remove the Rotopax cans, but the aluminum support arm that goes to the right side cleared the Maxtrax just fine

10.jpg

Look at those nice legs

11.jpg

Another shot from the back side

12.jpg

The strap you grab when you go for a walk around the rig to deploy it has a hook on the end, and it fits just perfect around the BajaRacks right side front leg support that bolts to the roof

13.jpg

Side shot showing the Maxtrax, they rub a bit, I will have to find out if they will wear on the canvas, if so, I will come up with a solution

14.jpg

Rotopax back on, and they clear the canvas

15.jpg

Closeup of the aluminum arm with the name Eezi-Awn on it, and you can see it is much lower than the high point on the Rotopax, and this is why they must come off to deploy the awning

What I am going to do when I get time it to turn the Rotopax mounting plate that is on the ladder 90° and lower it some, and the cans will sit sideways, and a little lower, and I think that will solve the problem so I do not have to remove the cans each time.
I do have to remove the CB antenna, but that is on a quick disconnect mount, and very easy to take off in less than two seconds.

Overall I am very pleased with this new awning.
One thing you have to do is make sure you get the three top strap parts out that help tighten up the canvas when it is rolled up.
Not bad though for my first time deploying it and putting it away.

Stand by for tomorrow, as I have another mod that was done today, and it is for the Renogy 100 watt solar panel that keeps the auxiliary battery charged up since that runs the new National Luna Weekender 50 Twin fridge/freezer.

Anderson SB50 Plug & Cable Added To Aux. Battery For Solar Panel Installed 4-21-2017

This was done Friday, but I just got pictures and hooked up the solar panel an hour ago.
The auxiliary battery under the hood is primarily used just to power the new National Luna Weekender 50 Twin fridge/freezer I picked up last fall.
It also supplies power to the comm units in my rig, both CB and ham.

For my Renogy folding solar panel the way I hooked it up before to the auxiliary battery was with the supplied battery clamps like you see on jumper cables which you will see in a few pictures below.
Had to pop the hood for this each time, and I wanted a better setup.
The Renogy kit already came with and Anderson SB50 plug, so I had Battery Stuff make me up a short cable that would go to the battery, and the other end would go to an Anderson plug and be on the outside of the rig so I did not have to pop the hood open.
I also had them make me up an extension cable that would extend the range by about 20'.
They did not however install a 15 amp fuse on the shorter cable, I had to do that myself.

However as I was waiting in the waiting room at Auburn Off-Road getting my new awning installed, I was looking through a copy of 4WD Toyota Owner Magazine from last summer (I had read the article before) I saw a solar panel company called Overland Solar that has the same cable and extensions that come fused.
Wish I had known about them, I would have bought the shorter cable from them already fused, and just got the non fused extension from them too.

The external Anderson SB50 plugged is attached to the side of the ARB Intensity LED light bracket.
It makes for a pretty stealth installation, and is way better than drilling into the bumper.

From testing the setup today in very overcast conditions, I was very impressed how fast it brought up the voltage from 12.3 to 13.4 volts.
When I fire up my rig to drive it, both voltage displays go to about 14 volts, then back down to 13.4 volts when cruising, so I am impressed, I already said that right :)

Links:
Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase
This one has a newer charge controller than the one I have one mine, and they got away from the Anderson plugs, not good in my opinion, as I prefer the Anderson SB50 A plugs.

Custom Cable 4' 10 Gauge with Rings & SB50 10ga4ringSB
They also made the 20' 10 gauge cable for me with the Anderson SB50A plugs on each end, but you will have to call them to custom order it.

On with some pictures:

1.jpg

The Renogy kit comes with a new semi-hardshell case

2.jpg

The old battery clamp cable on the far left I use to use, the new Anderson plug equipped one that connects to the battery in the middle, and the 20' extension on the far right

3.jpg

The charge controller on the rear of the solar panel, and a mugshot of me got in there somehow :)

4.jpg

Cable attached to the auxiliary battery, and yes, it is a mess of pine needles under there, as I park under trees at home and at work

5.jpg

Anderson SB50 plug attached to the side of the ARB Intensity LED light bracket

6.jpg

Beginning voltage on the auxiliary batter is 12.3 volts

7.jpg

The charge controller needs the date and time set, but it lights up as soon as it detects the auxiliary battery attached, and you can also see a smiley face in the display, all if good, plus the green light for working
Sorry, I could not get a good focus on the display.

8.jpg

Cable plugged into the Anderson SB50 plug on the rig

9.jpg

Solar panel soaking up the rays, and it is highly overcast here this morning, very impressed as you will see in the other voltage picture

10.jpg

About fifteen minutes or so later, the 12.3 volts jumped to 13.4 volts, about the same as when I am driving down the road with the alternator charging up both batteries, I am impressed

Fridge Monitors, Rotopax, & Awning 4-29-2017

Added two digital fridge monitors to my National Luna Weekender 50 Twin fridge/freezer this morning.
The Engel wireless one I have been using since 2008 is not working properly anymore, and I got away from wireless.
I found these on Amazon a few weeks back, and you can set it for Fahrenheit or Celsius.

Although the fridge has an LED readout on it, I wanted a temp monitor in each section to get a better reading on my temps.

Link:
Digital Refrigerator Freezer Room Thermometer, Max/Min Record Function with Large LCD Display (2 Pack of Black)

18.jpg

I lowered and turned the mount 90 degrees for the two Rotopax cans I carry as I could not deploy my new awning without taking them off.
And the Adventure Tool Company Tool Roll is so handy to have wrenches available to work on the mount.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Compare below in the first picture when the Rotopax were upright, you can clearly see the Eezi-Awn swing arm is lower than the cans, thus why I had to remove the cans to deploy the awning.

15.jpg

Now look at the arm with the Eezi-Awn name on it and see how it sits higher than the Rotopax, thus allowing me to deploy the awning without removing them.
I do have to lift that arm up slightly to clear the top of the Maxtrax, but there is a little flex in the arm, but not enough to have cleared the Rotopax when they were up higher.

16.jpg

In the picture below I have two of the awning legs down, and the rear one is pushing up the canvas enough to clear the top of the Maxtrax when opening the rear door, or just sitting.
This clears the top of them from rubbing on the awnings canvas in case it is windy.
The Alu-Cab 270 awnings actually have a small arm you flip up to lift the canvas higher, but not really needed in my case.

17.jpg

In the final pic is me just relaxing in my new Blue Ridge Chair Works called "The Blue Ridge Chair".
I picked it up about a month back, very comfortable after I was done working for a few hours earlier on the rig.

18.jpg

Mini Quick Fists & Gerber BG Hatchet Mounted 5-13-2017

I use to keep my Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Hatchet in one of the drawers of my cargobox.
After mounting the Fiskars axe awhile back, I thought it would be a good idea to free up some space in the cargobox and mount the little BG hatchet by the Fiskar axe using some Mini Quick Fists.

It turned out pretty good, and now I have easier access to it while camping, or fending off rouge zombies :)

I have a lot more projects to work on such as installing a new 12v LED light in the roof top tent, mounting up a Trasheroo trash bag on the spare tire, but it looks like rain is before too long.
Next weekend it looks like better weather may make an appearance.
Trying to get a lot of these little things out of the way before camping season is upon us.

Also the owner of Outer Limits Supply announced last week on Instagram that he has a new holder setup for his first aid kits like I have on my rear doors table/rack.
It eliminates having to use the straps that are on it now, and it will not move around as much.
Will be looking into that for sure.

He is showing them at the Overland Expo West this weekend to the lucky people who could make this annual event in Arizona.

Links:

Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Hatchet

Mini Quick Fist Clamp for mounting tools & equipment 5/8" - 1-3/8" diameter (Pack of 2)

8.jpg

Sweet thread as always, Corey.

I'm curious about non-routine maintenance that's been done in the past decade on your rig.

I'm assuming you've gone though the wheel bearings a time or two?

Sweet thread as always, Corey.

I'm curious about non-routine maintenance that's been done in the past decade on your rig.

I'm assuming you've gone though the wheel bearings a time or two?
Thanks Matt, I am just shy of 80K miles by around 500.
The rig has had the front end wheel bearings done as well as the CV boots.
Water pump and timing belt were done a few years back.

About a month back I had the dealer clean the flow sensor and flush down the intake, that made a big difference in snappiness :bounce:
Rig runs as good as the day I bought it.
Oil is changed every 3K miles, plugs have been changed at 30k and 60K, will get them done again when it gets close to 90K.

Never been happier with a rig as much as this one.

Goal Zero Lanterns, Yeti 400 Lithium Solar Generator, & Compass Hood Decal

I have several Goal Zero LED lanterns I used on my old Campinglab awning.
I was not sure how I was going to "string" them on the new Eezi-Awn Bat 270 awning I picked up recently, so I deployed the awning this morning to see how it could be done.

Low and behold the awning has these nice little aluminum rods at the end of the awning support bars with the exception of the very last one that wraps around the passenger side, and I just ran a zip-tie through a hold on that one to hang the lantern from.

The Goal Zero Light A Life lanterns can be daisy chained together, and they also have a built in hook/clasp which makes it easy to hang it to attachments such as the rods and the zip-tie on the awnings support arms.

Depending on where I put my new Nemo crapper/shower tent I picked up for this new season, I can probably have enough length in the lanterns cable to run a 5th one to the Nemo.

How am I powering these lanterns?
Yesterweek I picked up the new Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium solar generator.
Some of you may remember I picked up the ArkPak a few years back, and it is very nice for powering stuff at home during a power outage, and for camping.
But...it weighs in at close to 100 lb, and the Yeti is only 17 lbs.
The ArkPak will be retired to home duty only since the Yeti 400 is so light.
It has both an 8mm 12v output, and also a cigg12v outlet.
Also two 110v outlets.

I also picked up a cool folding stool awhile back to stand on when packing the awning away from Amazon, and it will also be used for setting the Yeti 400 on.

For charging it it has a 110v 8mm input, and that is also how you plug in a Goal Zero solar panel.
I ordered the Boulder 100 watt Brief Case model with built ion charge controllers, and that will arrive probably by this coming Friday.
So now I will be running three solar panels:
1. Powerfilm foldable 60 watt for the starting battery
2. Renogy 100 watt suitcase style for the aux battery that powers the National Luna Weekender 50 fridge/freezer
3 Goal Zero Boulder 100 watt Brief Case for just the Yeti 400 Lithium solar generator

I also ordered a nice compass decal via Amazon, and installed it this morning to the hood.
The compass decal is high quality, but unfortunately my die-cut decal installation procedure is not.
I messed up up and got some of the black parts that adhere to the hood misaligned, and it looks like crap if you look at it closely.
I already have another one on order, and I am going to see if a local body shop or vehicle decal place can do the installation for me.

Also these come in many different colors, and when you order it, it defaults to black unless you contact them after placing your order to select another color.
I am wondering if I should stick with black, or get a white one.
What do you think???

Links:

Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium Portable Power Station

Boulder 100 Briefcase

Jeronic 11-Inch Plastic Folding Step Stool, Black

Compass Hood Sticker, Compass Car Vinyl tr1882

Pictures:

1.jpg

Passenger side light, the only one that needed a zip-tie to hang from

2.jpg

Lanterns lit up, I wish I had some pics in the dark, but it gets light out now around 5:20 am

3.jpg

These put out quite a bit of light when it is dark out

4.jpg

The Yeti's control panel showing how much charge in hours is left if all four lanterns are running, turn off half the lanterns, the run time doubles

5.jpg

On the new stool

6.jpg

Closeup showing the lanterns hook/clasp attached to the awnings rod in the support arm

7.jpg

The 42 liter Alu-box I keep my Goal Zero lanterns, two propane lanterns, and the Powerfilm 60 watt solar panel in

1.jpg

From a distance it does not look too bad

2.jpg

3.jpg

But when you get closer, you can see line that points to the S is crooked, and the lower circle part to the left of the line
I also have a few bubbles in it.
Maybe a shop can fix it, but just in case, I have a new one coming if they have to scrap this one.

Outer Limit Supply Quick Release Bracket Installed 6-3-2017

I have had my Outer Limit Supply Weekend Warrior first aid kit for awhile now mounted to the Springtail Solutions table/rack setup on the back door of my FJ Cruiser.

This is a top notch kit designed by Travis owner of Outer Limit Supply.
The way the kit mounted before was a two strap setup, and his new mount he unveiled at Overland Expo West 2017 is a much better setup IMO, and so much easier than having to release the two straps.
The first aid kit could move around a little with the straps, not so with this new setup!
It is held in with magnets, and they will not release until you pull down a red straps.
You can mount the strap at the top or bottom, I chose the latter.

The included instructions and template you tape to the rear of your kit make the installation a breeze.
This is way faster to get to your kit if needed, and much more secure.
If you want to upgrade to the new setup, get a hold of Travis, I am very excited about the new kit for sure!

Links:

My first aid kit, Weekend Warrior Series

Quick Release Mount

Pictures and one video:
Please excuse me for not looking into the lens, I was looking at the LCD screen which I had flipped towards me on my Canon Rebel T5i camera.

11.jpg

Tape the included template to the rear of the kit to drill four holes for the quick release bracket
Make sure to empty your kit first, which Travis mentions in the instructions.

12.jpg

Push the four bolts with the flat washers and rubber washers through the holes

13.jpg

Then attach the QR bracket to the rear of the case, and tighten up with the included nuts for the bolts

14.jpg

Screw the mounting plate to the quick release bracket through the magents with the four counter sunk screws

15.jpg

Mounting plate and QR bracket
Skottle is feeling lonely not getting any attention until tonights dinner.

16.jpg

Bracket mounted to the rack/table

17.jpg

Plenty of room for the rack/table to be in the down position, and not have the kit interfere with the plastic surface of the FJ

18.jpg

Showing the old mounting plate above that used the two strap system, not sorry to see it go

19.jpg

You really do not see the red strap hanging down unless you look from underneath

20.jpg

See, the strap kind of disappears when you look at it from straight on

Outer Limit Supply Quick Release Bracket

Goal Zero 100 Watt Solar Panel For The Yeti 400 6-4-2017

I may post these two videos to the camping section later too, but the Goal Zero Boulder 100 watt solar panel and the Goal Zero Yeti 400 lithium generator will be used with the rig.

Powering up the old school Goal Zero 3 watt LED lanterns which will be hung on the Eezi-Awn Bat 270 awning, and also for charging up items such as the Goal Zero Lighthouse 400 lumen lantern, charging flashlight batteries, and also charging up the batteries for my Canon Rebel T5i camera.

I am a little disappointed in the Goal Zero canvas case the solar panel ships with, as there is zero padding.
However the Renogy solar panel I use to charge up the aux battery that powers the National Luna Weekender 50 Twin fridge/freezer ships with a nice padded case that works with the Goal Zero solar panel just fine.

For what you pay for Goal Zero gear, they should include a padded case as well.

One more thing, the Goal Zero solar panel does not include a charge controller, but one is not needed since the Yeti 400 has one built in.
If you want to use this solar panel to keep a rigs battery topped off while camping, you will have to wire one in, or you could get the plug & play Goal Zero Guardian 12V Plus Charge Controller.
I have two of them (never used them yet), and they connect to the 8mm plugs that Goal Zero uses.
You could also cut off the battery clips and hard-wire it to your battery.

Goal Zero Boulder 100 Watt Test Part 1

Goal Zero Boulder 100 Watt Test Part 2

New Hood Compass Graphic 6-6-2017

Mucho better!
I talked with a local graphics/sign/vehicle wrap company last week, and I stopped in Friday to show them my butchered job I did on the Amazon compass decal.

He said they could not really fix it, and while it was OK quality, it is not as good as the 3M and laminated material they use.
The one I had on there was not laminated with a protective coating.
He took a picture of mine, and his graphics artist duplicated the one I had, but made it 24"x24" instead of 22"x22", I like it.

I will keep an eye on it to see how it does, but this stuff is made to be outdoors.
So far I am very happy with it.
If anyone local or not local is interested in the design, you can get a hold of the shop and see it they can send the file since I had to pay a digitizing fee, and get one of these for your rig.

Links:

Fast Signs Main Site

Fast Signs Of Auburn, WA

Pictures:

4.jpg

Closeup shot, an exact duplicate of the other one

5.jpg

Yeah...

6.jpg

Side shot, takes up more of the hood than the 22" one

7.jpg

Another side shot, kind of hard to get more detail, my rig is in the full sun right now

Adventure Tool Company Atlas Map Case 7-1-2017

I needed a nice case to keep my atlas in to protect it, and I remember seeing a nice one on Adventure Tool Companies website, so I ordered one, and it showed up this past Thursday.

As with anything from Adventure Tool Company, this Atlas Map Case is made in the USA in Colorado of heavy waxed canvas and MILSPEC components.
This is the fourth item now I have bought from Paul and Amy from their company.
All of their products ships with heavy wrapping paper and string around it, and a thank you card, a very nice personal touch!

I had another Atlas, but was due to for an upgrade to a newer addition when I did a little research on Amazon, and found that a lot of people prefer the Washington Benchmark one better, so I went with it.
I remember from surfing Adventure Tool Companies site before that they had a case for these type of atlases to protect them, so I ordered one up earlier this week.
This is a great way to keep it nice looking.

In addition to using GPS and Gaia Maps on my Android NVIDIA Shield tablet I bought earlier to map out and set waypoints for futures visits of campsites, the Atlas is a great tool to use as it shows most of the logging roads, lakes, and trails I want to find to check out new campsites.

If you are looking for a great way to keep your atlas nice, pick up one of these from Paul and Amy.
It smells nice too :)
Every time I open up the cargobox, I can smell the canvas of my three tool rolls I bought from them, simply intoxicating.

Links:
Atlas Map Case

Washington Benchmark Road & Recreation Atlas

Pictures:

13.jpg

This is always how their products arrive after you take it out of the shipping envelope

14.jpg

A thank you card, and a sticker

15.jpg

Atlas case opened up on my hood, and the flap on the left side is Velcro in the open position, it folds over on the opposite side

16.jpg

Case and atlas folded, and the Velcro flap you open to gain access to the atlas is now closed

I've managed to acquire five pieces of ATC gear. Gives me a grin every time I make an excuse to pull them out.

Last edited:
I've managed to acquire five pieces of ATC gear. Gives me a grim every time I make an excuse to pull them out.
They are very high quality for sure.

I know on the other forums I am on, they all have a dedicated "What did you do to your rig today" thread.
I have not run across one on Mud, so I will put the info in my build thread here.

New Yellowtop, and airing out the roof top tent

I started out years ago with an Optima Yellowtop, and it lasted maybe two years, I think it was a bad one from Cartoys.
Had Les Schwab seven years ago put a Redtop (Redtops are a starting battery, not a deep cycle one for fridges and accessories) in there as I was not running anything off of the aux battery, it was only in case I killed the starting battery with the ARB fridge.

Fast forward to this past September when I got my new National Luna Weekender 50 Twin fridge/freezer, and I had it wired up to the Redtop with 8 gauge amplifier wire.
The Redtop is not to be used as a deep cycle battery, so running the new fridge put a strain on it, and a week ago Friday I had Les Schwab put it a 34/78 Yellowtop, and it is doing fine with the fridge since it is a deep cycle battery.

However, the stock Toyota charging system struggles with charging two batteries, so I have a booster coming from MechMan Alternators which shows up next week.
That will be for another post in my build thread.
Right now the charging system says around 13.4v for both batteries when cruising, but it starts out at 14v.
The booster will allow me to dial in 14.5 so both batteries will get a healthy charge.

Also aired out the AutoHome Maggiolina Airlander tent today for an upcoming vacation in August..
Was going to put in a new 12v LED light fixture to replace the weak Autohome one that uses a regular festoon shaped bulb, but I would have had to drill the headliner, was not comfortable with that.
I also had an LED festoon bulb leftover from doing the interior of my FJ Cruiser, but it was too short.
Going to use a Wagontek portable light with a magnetic base if I need more light inside, it is super bright.

Also dinked around with an idea to keep my ladder overnight when we are asleep from perhaps "walking" away.
Used a small diameter Kryptonite cable and Masterlock.

10.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

The new Toyota battery I had installed four years ago is starting to get weak, the stock Panasonic one lasted around seven years.
Going for an Odyssey one this time, it is a direct fit, and very popular with FJ Cruiser and Tacoma owners
Odyssey Batteries 34R-PC1500

And here is the booster that is showing up soon.
Adjustable voltage boost module for Square 4 pin Toyota

Like I mentioned, the alternator is not putting out enough voltage for two batteries.
Today when I had my Renogy solar panel hooked up to the Yellowtop, the Yellowtop was sitting at full at 14.5v, way better than the Toyota charging system can do.
Hopefully this booster cable will remedy this.

I'm curious about the voltage booster application. My Scangauge II almost never registers a voltage reading above 13.7V when I'm driving and I assumed the drop was just because of the limitations of the Scangauge accuracy. I installed a 180A aftermarket alternator a few years ago in the hopes it would keep up the strain my ARB fridge puts on my battery. I'm only running a single 34 Diehard Platinum, but planning on installing a 2nd very soon.

Will keep you informed on how the booster works out.
Right now when the engine is off the new Yellowtop stays around 13v, but the Toyota battery I got four years ago sits around 12.2v or so.
About time to replace it with that Odyssey one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom